Question re Booking Handicapped Rooms

TrinaLC

I'm curious about this - these rooms are obviously bigger, and therefore more desirable, but from reading the boards it doesn't seem as if NCL requires any proof that one person is in a wheel chair. (I realize there are other handicaps, but the design is to accomodate a wheel chair, not some other handicap.)

It seems that someone who genuinely would need this room might be shut out if it is booked by someone who does not use a wheel chair.

Would NCL move a party out of this room in favor of a party in 'need'? [This is a real question.]

Is it morally 'right' to book it if not in need? (Assuming other cabins are available.) [This is of course theoretical. I would not, though, book a handicap room unless no other cabin of that class were available, and then I think it is fair game.]

Yes they will move you out if the cabin is needed by a handicapped person. They make this clear when you book the cabin. There is no guarantee where you will end up..... It is a risk you take when booking a handicapped cabin. If your looking for a cabin in a certain area of the ship don't book a handicapped because you may be moved. On another note, I have heard of at least on instance when someone had to give up the handicapped cabin that they were offered an upsell at a reasonable cost.

I am currently booked into a handicapped cabin. I had a regular cabin and when this aft facing cabin showed up on the website about two weeks after final I grabed it.

For the record I understood I could be moved from my time online. When I transferred the booking nobody indicated this was the case. Perhaps this was because it was after final.

No morally right or wrong here - just an aft facing cabin with a 100+ additional SF :)

I found this on the NCL site...

NCL welcomes guests with special needs. Of course, we may require advance notice in order to accommodate them, so they must advise NCL's Passenger Courtesy Department of their needs at least three weeks prior to their cruise.

If the cabin is available 3 weeks out then it is definitely up for grabs.

Wouldn't you be concerned that someone with a handicap access letter from any person claiming to be a Dr. could bump you? (I bet they don't even require proof of wheel chair, just some vague "disability" claim.)

I should also add - I really don't mean to get into the moral 'right or wrong'! NCL (and others) should have some clear guidelines (hmmh, likely or not?!). I would think that they should require proof of wheelchair to displace another party, and at some point close to payment /final they cut it off and make the rooms generally available without risk of displacment to others.

We traveled with a handicapped person this past April on the Norwegian Dawn. When we booked the room NCL required us to send them a letter from my BIL's doctor stating the need for one of these cabins. So yes they do require proof. I have also sailed on NCL in the past when all that was available with a balcony was a handicapped room. We were also told that if someone who was handicapped and in need of this room that we would be moved to another cabin without a balcony and given an OBC for the difference. Well we ended up in the handicapped cabin on the 11 deck and boy what a cabin that was. big room and not 1 but 2 balcony doors to go out. Happy was I.

I too have booked a BA catergory cabin that I found out was so big because it was handicapped accessible (the same room as shoreguy). Anyway, I booked through a TA who did not inform me that it was handicapped or that I could be moved. Of course I have no problem with being moved for someone with a wheelchair and knowing now that I can be moved to a non-balconyroom, I would expect and push for an upsell at a very reasonable price if available. Morally wrong to book the room???? Of course not because NCL will move you anyway if the room is needed for a person in a wheelchair! I got a great deal on a great room in an awesome location, I hope I get to keep it!

I'm curious about this - these rooms are obviously bigger, and therefore more desirable, but from reading the boards it doesn't seem as if NCL requires any proof that one person is in a wheel chair. (I realize there are other handicaps, but the design is to accomodate a wheel chair, not some other handicap.).]

My wife is 100% confined to a wheelchair. On many lines If we don't book the day a specific cruise opens (sometimes a year +-), then we don't get an accessible cabin. We are finding allot of travel agents are blocking up these rooms for "groups" they call it?

Most of the cruise lines are now not asking or requiring a "special need certification form anyone", they are saying that is against the law. This tells me that some AB individual complained and threatened legal action against them??? Figure that?

Anyway some lines like Princess are defining the meaning of disabled even further by asking if "confined" or using for assistance, big difference!

Whatever it is, no matter who it is, we have even spoken to AB who think it is great that they got away with getting an accessible room from there knowing travel agent.

I don't have the answer but sooner or later the cruise industry is going to have to come to terms with the problem and find a fix.

The disabled are fighting back with the backing of the legal system in many ways..... Sorry to see it happen but whats fare is fare!

The Worlds gone crazy!

My wife is 100% confined to a wheelchair. On many lines If we don't book the day a specific cruise opens (sometimes a year +-), then we don't get an accessible cabin. We are finding allot of travel agents are blocking up these rooms for "groups" they call it?

Most of the cruise lines are now not asking or requiring a "special need certification form anyone", they are saying that is against the law. This tells me that some AB individual complained and threatened legal action against them??? Figure that?

Anyway some lines like Princess are defining the meaning of disabled even further by asking if "confined" or using for assistance, big difference!

Whatever it is, no matter who it is, we have even spoken to AB who think it is great that they got away with getting an accessible room from there knowing travel agent.

I don't have the answer but sooner or later the cruise industry is going to have to come to terms with the problem and find a fix.

The disabled are fighting back with the backing of the legal system in many ways..... Sorry to see it happen but whats fare is fare!

The Worlds gone crazy!

Johnny,

I am sorry that you are finding it difficult to book but I have never "blocked" space in a HC . It is never in the group inventory, never. I don`t know where you heard such a thing.

When I book into my group space and there is a need for a HC I have to request it and put full deposit with names. Someone who would KNOWINGLY book a HC far in advance, and does not NEED it must do some soul searching.

Happy Cruising,

Not putting the blame on anyone in specific.

All I am saying is I see it happening way more than it should. And have spoken to and seen posts on cruise critics of individuals who have done this and don't blink an eye at it, they think it's funny.

Your right Ann, and there is no shortage of people out there that need to soul search....... Unfortunately, we see the abuse all day long, everyday when it comes to disabled "perks" which many AB refer to it as??? Just look at the simple abuse of parking placards to name one, it's rampant!

Just my insight!

The other problem is that while NCL will say that they will move able bodied passengers if a passenger in a wheelchair needs the room, the reality is this rarely happens because the room is taken off the available room inventory and is listed as sold so that when a TA calls to inquire if it is available, they are told it is not because NCL does not note on the record that the room is booked by able bodied passengers who can be moved.

When an able bodied passenger is moved, it is because either a TA or a disabled person is aware of this fact and pushes the cruise line very hard on the issue of whether a wheelchair accessible room on the sailing has taken by able bodied passengers who don't really need it or when, (and this is rare) a NCL customer representative takes the extra step to try to accommodate a disabled passenger and actually inquires about whether the passengers booked in the wheelchair accessible room are disabled.

Sometimes NCL will ask for documentation of disability and sometimes they don't. NCL is not alone--most of the cruise lines don't have consistent policies.

I don't have any problem with NCL or any other cruise line closing out any "saved" wheelchair accessible staterooms with 21 days before the cruise or even 30 days before. However, it is not uncommon for these rooms to appear on the public inventory well before final payment date.

Again, NCL is not the only cruise lne that does all of this--most of them do. Also, some TAs are irresponsible and book their able bodied pasengers in such staterooms, either to make the sale or to "reward" them or because they haven't made the effort to designate the stateroom as wheelchar accessible. Then if they have a client who cares enough or thinks it is immoral to take a room away from a disabled person, the TA will spout this misconception--you wlll be moved if anyone needs it. The TA's client doesn 't know any better and thinks the TA has addressed their concern. Of course, there are also the able bodied passengers who don't care and take the stateroom because they can.

Ann, I know there are many TAs out there who would never do such a thing. Unfortunately, there are a few and it gives the profession a black eye when these people do such a thing. Also, several of the on-line agencies list the wheelchair accessible stateroom on their website routinely and don't make any inquiry as to need when a passenger books it. Not only have there been other posts on Cruise Critic about this, even on this thread one of the posters booked such a room when "it showed up as available on the website".

I am explaining this because there is the misconception that you, an able bodied passenger, can book the wheelchair accessible stateroom and be moved if someone who is disabled later needs it. In reality this rarely happens.

This topic has been discussed several times on the Disabled Forum on the Cruise Critic Board and on several of the other cruise line forums. So if you are interested, you can do a search and read those threads.

HI Kids-

I discussed this in another thread, but I see there's no "cut and paste" facility here so here's the link -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=4515363&postcount=67

As far as I'm concerned, there is no moral right or wrong, it's up to the cruise co. to have a set of rules and enforce them across the board.

BTW, after we refused it, I asked the TA what sort of proof would we need if we were to take this cabin and she replied, none at all. :eek: :eek:

As far as I know, the only difference is a larger bathroom so that it can accomodate a disabled person plus bars to hold on. Doesn't this decrease the amount of space in the rest of the cabin?

Not so, old friend. Check the NCL web site for the difference in cabin size between balcony cabin 10140 and 10142 (the latter intended for the disabled), or inside cabin 10151 and 10153 (the latter also for the disabled) on the Jewel.

http://164.109.173.140

It just goes to show that some people and some TA's only think of themselves. I am disabled but do not require to walk(just a cane if I am going to do alot of walking) and I would not ask for a disabled room. If I were in one inadvertently, I would go to the pursers desk and make sure someone did not need this.

On a different note. Because I am only 53 yo, you should see the number of disabled people in w/c that give me dirty looks when I park in h/c spots with my sticker, or use a motorized cart provided by a store. I have a bad knee(bone to bone) and have a legitimate h/c sticker that the Dr. had to fill out form and send to state to receive sticker. I have been acosted by h/c people asking me what my disability is and that I am not really disabled. I lie and tell them I am mentally ill and that I become psycotic when people ask me stupid questions. It just blows me away.

So it takes all kinds.

Shelley

As far as I know, the only difference is a larger bathroom so that it can accomodate a disabled person plus bars to hold on. Doesn't this decrease the amount of space in the rest of the cabin?

In the cabin I was referring to, 11528, they removed the tub for the extra space in the bathroom.

On a different note. Because I am only 53 yo, you should see the number of disabled people in w/c that give me dirty looks when I park in h/c spots with my sticker, or use a motorized cart provided by a store. I have a bad knee(bone to bone) and have a legitimate h/c sticker that the Dr. had to fill out form and send to state to receive sticker. I have been acosted by h/c people asking me what my disability is and that I am not really disabled. I lie and tell them I am mentally ill and that I become psycotic when people ask me stupid questions. It just blows me away.

Shelley

I get the same looks, Shelley! :eek:

I have a prosthetic leg (From a car accident) and severe nerve damage to my "good" leg which precludes me from walking very far. Unless I'm wearing shorts so everyone can see my "pegleg" you'd never know I had one. It's kinda funny when I get asked what my handicap is; I just knock on my leg and tell them I used to be an alligator wrestler, but I wasn't very good at it! :D

Now, here's my question; If HC rooms are not booked by HC people, will they all be sold to able-bodied people by the time the ship sails? I was considering asking for an "upgrade" to a HC room if they weren't all taken once we got onboard. I can "make do" with out one, but life would sure be easier if I did get one. I wouldn't mind not having one if they were all used by people who needed them. But if able-bodied folks are just using them for a little extra room.......:(

• 1 month later...

I love that line, I'll have to use that sometime. I have Osteonecrosis (bone death) and have had 6 surgeries in the last 11 years. Sometimes I don't have a problem walking and sometimes I do but I must limit my walking to preserve the bone I have left. I'm only 47 and I get the same looks and questions about my handicap.

Kind of back to the original Thread and away from the placard/HC parking spot thing, a whole other topic..........

It's really simple! The cruise lines need to gather there strength and enforce them, before they are required to!

Once again, ADA accessible cabins are to accommodate those who are "confined within a wheeled appliance" (not a walker), key word "confined within" (can not get up out of appliance). They are for the extra space needed for that appliance, not the person confined in it... Important designation!

Think about it, what good is a larger cabin if you can't get up and move about it. Larger is for that appliance not the occupant confined within that appliance.

That means if you can get up and physically walk to the toilet, shower or deck within that cabin then you do not belong in an accessible cabin. Actually a smaller room would work better for those who can walk but have a disability, shorter distances to toilet, shower and deck, hence to walk less and shorter distances. The cruise line will supply that person with a shower chair if needed.

Upgrading prior to sail time is another matter, of coarse the cruise line should give those cabins out at last minute, they are there to make $$. Be prepared to be bumped if a last minute booking occurs for someone with an appliance and are confined within it.

That is what the cruise lines are supposed to adhere to in the original development of the ADA standards for ships, of which they are not (as of yet) required to stick with, it is purely voluntary at this time. Laws are pending in Congress as we speak to apply these standards to the cruise lines.

Now, back to the past few replies to this thread. My wife is totally confined to a chair and (speaking for ourselves, maybe others) the only problem we HAVE is the following. When we see individuals (who appear) able-bodied (or not) and there are designated accessible parking spots available and they HAVE to take the one that is "van accessible" just because they don't use there brain or really care. By the way, it is against the law and subject to citation and towing to use those "marked" parking spots if you are not parked there in a "van equipped with a lift system" and using it. That's why they have signs on those spots designating it for that purpose. Other than that, I don't care where anybody parks. If someone feels that person is abusing the law and it would make you feel better then call the police and let them decide, we’ve done that and it works.

These are touchy subjects for many but if everyone faced there conscience (yea right!) and adhered to the written laws then life would be to simple and many wouldn't have chips on there shoulders, this applies to both sides of the coin (able-bodied & disabled alike)...

Then again laws are broken everyday and consequences are meant to be adhered to...

Life is Grand!

Only individuals who don’t have conscience have issues!

Actually, the law regarding the "van accessible" spots vary from state to state. In NY, as long as you have a valid HC permit you can park in those spots no matter if you have a van or not. It's courtesy that keeps me from doing that. My personal pet peeve, aside from AB's parking in the spot, it people who think it's ok to park in between the HC spots, on the blue slashed lines...it is not! It's usually people with HC permits who do this. (at least around me)

finucane

Just to let you know that a shower chair is not much help if you can't bend your knees enough or have the balance to get into a bath tub. It's also not much help if you can't get up the step to the washroom.

I've checked with my cruise line and HC cabins are for ALL people who are mobility impaired with proof of disability.

Happy sailing

It's a small world but there's enough space for everyone to get along in it.

finucane

Just to let you know that a shower chair is not much help if you can't bend your knees enough or have the balance to get into a bath tub. It's also not much help if you can't get up the step to the washroom.QUOTE]

Agreed! Disability spectrum is a wide one.............

Archived