POLL: Why are you going on a singles cruise?

MNJewels

Why are you going solo?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you going solo?

• I don't want to travel with family/friends
    • My friends/family/spouse/s.o. can't afford to go with
    • I am single and looking to meet someone
    • Other???

I am going solo for the third time because I dont have a steady girlfriend and most of my other friends are married or have children and cannot go due to this fact as well as some who have financial reasons.

Also it is a good way to meet people and experiance differenct things I would not normally do when at home.

I am going solo for the third time because I dont have a steady girlfriend and most of my other friends are married or have children and cannot go due to this fact as well as some who have financial reasons.

Also it is a good way to meet people and experiance differenct things I would not normally do when at home.

How were your solo cruises? I always take family members with me so I won't be by myself....only problem is that I have to coordinate my excursions and daily events with them...not to mention pay their way. With my obscure way of thinking, I didn't want to pay the extra cost for a singles , yet I keep paying for my family to travel with me which is alot more. Not too bright...Hugh. I guess it's just the fear of the unknown.

IL2Crz, you won't have to take family members with you if you cruise with our Cruise Critic group on the August 19, 2006 sailing of the Caribbean Princess! You will meet lots of great people and get a great group rate as well as amenities including shipboard credit and a photo voucher.

The single supplement is 150%, which is lower than the usual supplement of 200%. And if you don't have to pay for your family, you can afford to upgrade to a nice balcony cabin or better, with money for lots of extras!! :)

With a Cruise Critic group cruise, you can do as much or as little with the group as you want. There is no group dining, so you eat when you want too. We will have a sailaway party and a meet and mingle and there will be an opportunity to share shore excursions. So you will meet people you can chose to hang out with or go to activities with, if you want. You can also meet people ahead of time via the message boards.

This is a terrific Eastern Caribbean itinerary, stopping at St. Thomas, St. Martin, and Princess Cay, the beautiful Princess private island. You can go out on your own, share some of the private excursions we will be arranging, or go on a Princess shore excursion--whatever you want.

So come aboard and join us!!

This goes for all of you solo cruisers out there. We already have three singles booked and one single lady is looking to share a stateroom. For more information, including pricing, click on the links in the banner below or email me at kacruiser@ev1.net.

IL2Cruz, while I know the fear of the unknown is a little scary, I've done 19 cruises as a single and enjoyed every one of them. I've cruised to some of the most exotic places you can think of----Africa, Asia, Middle East, South America and Australia----and had a great time no matter what. My very first solo cruise was in Europe, and yes, the first time alone was a little scary, but after that, I realized there was nothing like cruising as a single. You meet all kinds of people, you don't have to coordinate or answer to anyone and you do as you please. It is a little decadent, but it's fun.

IL2Crz, you won't have to take family members with you if you cruise with our Cruise Critic group on the August 19, 2006 sailing of the Caribbean Princess! You will meet lots of great people and get a great group rate as well as amenities including shipboard credit and a photo voucher.

The single supplement is 150%, which is lower than the usual supplement of 200%. And if you don't have to pay for your family, you can afford to upgrade to a nice balcony cabin or better, with money for lots of extras!! :)

With a Cruise Critic group cruise, you can do as much or as little with the group as you want. There is no group dining, so you eat when you want too. We will have a sailaway party and a meet and mingle and there will be an opportunity to share shore excursions. So you will meet people you can chose to hang out with or go to activities with, if you want. You can also meet people ahead of time via the message boards.

This is a terrific Eastern Caribbean itinerary, stopping at St. Thomas, St. Martin, and Princess Cay, the beautiful Princess private island. You can go out on your own, share some of the private excursions we will be arranging, or go on a Princess shore excursion--whatever you want.

So come aboard and join us!!

This goes for all of you solo cruisers out there. We already have three singles booked and one single lady is looking to share a stateroom. For more information, including pricing, click on the links in the banner below or email me at kacruiser@ev1.net.

Thanks for the reply. I've been so concerned with feeling uncomfortable that I didn't even think about cruise critics guests. I just kept reflecting on the 1st time I took a business trip by myself and how uncomfortable I felt in the restaurants when asked "how many will be dining"? I got such a surprised look with the raised eyebrows the first time that I would not dine out for the rest of the trip. I guess it still makes me uncomfortable when trying something new. As for the cruise....thanks for the offer, I wished I had known earlier because I'm alreaqdy booked on RCL's new FOS in Ocotber. However, I will keep an eye on your group and may decide to take another cruise prior. What is the title of your cruise critic thread?

Hi:) , I don't look to go on "Singles Cruises". I sail solo though. I am

very outgoing and it is usually very easy to meet people on a ship.

And I have been on my own for many years....most of my friends

live out of town and my family is very small. I love cruising.

I just returned from the first cruise sharing a cabin. We met through

these boards and we got along fine but after returning home, I realize

I just enjoy having my own cabin.

My girlfriend's hubby couldn't go so she and I went together. We had

a wonderful week. It is just I have been on my own for 20 years...

I am just used to having my own space. Being 47 and unattached

is just the "normal" for me. I feel more comfortable on a cruiseship

than on land LOL.......

All the other cruises in my signature have been solo. And I never cruise

with the intention of meeting someone. I just love the cruise, being

pampered for a week, seeing new places, and the whole experience.

Thanks Darcie, I want to be like you. I've been trying to plan a cruise to Europe and just recently noticed some great prices on trips around Africa. I guess I better take that first step and get the initial solo cruise behind me so I can start my adventures. 19 solo's....Wow.

Theresa, :) I bet once you go solo you will ask yourself "why did it take

me so long"?

Freedom......there is ALOT of freedom sailing on your own. And a good

way to meet people is through the ROLL CALL board. Usually, Usually

you can meet some wonderful folks on your cruise that way.

If you want, click onto my webshots below. Most of the folks

in those pictures are people I met through these boards........and

of course the crew and staff of the ships:D

Thanks Lois R, and I hear ya. I've been on my own for about 18 years and a co-worker once told me that I've gotten so used to my own space that I would not be able to share with anyone again. She was right, and I'm sure it will be the same on a cruise....just didn't think of it in that way. Mostly I've been getting the families to cruise, but have been coordinating cruises around their schedules and not taking something that my hearts set on. I'm definitely going solo on my next cruise.... :D

How were your solo cruises? I always take family members with me so I won't be by myself....only problem is that I have to coordinate my excursions and daily events with them...not to mention pay their way. With my obscure way of thinking, I didn't want to pay the extra cost for a singles , yet I keep paying for my family to travel with me which is alot more. Not too bright...Hugh. I guess it's just the fear of the unknown.

I really enjoyed them both. My first one was about 10 years ago on Norwegion cruise line and it was one of my best vacations ever. I did not intend to wait so long for my second but I did and just completed it this year in May of 2005 on the Carnival Glory. Ireally enjoyed them both and had no trouble meeting some really nice people. I have not had any bad experiances. One thing I did do different on this past cruise was use the message board and meet some people before the cruise. We actually go together the night before the ship left and there was one couple who only live a couple hours away and we have become really good friends. I had no trouble meeting other singles on the ship or in port. You can meet all kinds of people and they can become friends or aquaintances or more if you choose. I am planning my next cruise for May 7 on the Carnival Miracle for 2006 and then plan to do the Harley Cruise on Royal Carribean shortly after that.

I find May to be great cruising weather and a good mixture of people with only a few kids on board.

Thanks for the reply. I've been so concerned with feeling uncomfortable that I didn't even think about cruise critics guests. I just kept reflecting on the 1st time I took a business trip by myself and how uncomfortable I felt in the restaurants when asked "how many will be dining"? I got such a surprised look with the raised eyebrows the first time that I would not dine out for the rest of the trip. I guess it still makes me uncomfortable when trying something new. As for the cruise....thanks for the offer, I wished I had known earlier because I'm alreaqdy booked on RCL's new FOS in Ocotber. However, I will keep an eye on your group and may decide to take another cruise prior. What is the title of your cruise critic thread?

When it comes to dining I kind of enjoyed meeting the others at the table. True I am almost always the only single person there, but I find that a lot of the married women in the group like to try and fix me up with people they meet. It can be kind of fun. If you are ever on the same ship, let me know and I will gladly dine with you.

I really enjoyed them both. My first one was about 10 years ago on Norwegion cruise line and it was one of my best vacations ever. I did not intend to wait so long for my second but I did and just completed it this year in May of 2005 on the Carnival Glory. Ireally enjoyed them both and had no trouble meeting some really nice people. I have not had any bad experiances. One thing I did do different on this past cruise was use the message board and meet some people before the cruise. We actually go together the night before the ship left and there was one couple who only live a couple hours away and we have become really good friends. I had no trouble meeting other singles on the ship or in port. You can meet all kinds of people and they can become friends or aquaintances or more if you choose. I am planning my next cruise for May 7 on the Carnival Miracle for 2006 and then plan to do the Harley Cruise on Royal Carribean shortly after that.

I find May to be great cruising weather and a good mixture of people with only a few kids on board.

A Harley Cruise???? So where will I find information on this cruise? It may have to be my 1st solo....LOL

IL2Crz, we have made some good friends from Cruise Critic too, so it is possible that you can meet people in advance through the cruise roll call. So often this depends on just whoever it was the booked the cruise and their personalities. But you can alway meet people on a Cruise Critic group cruise--in advance and/or onboard, if you choose. So it is a good way to break into solo cruising, before you go out completely on your own.

As for dining, you are invited to eat with my brother and me if you wanted. We have first seating, traditional and have requested a table for six, as we think that number allows us to meet people and still have good conversation with everyone. This could be done by cross-linking bookings. I don't know what the one solo lady's dining arrangement is, but the other two single gentleman have anytime dining. But it is also possible to meet people in advance and make seating arrangements with them too. The point is, you won't have to dine alone if you don't want too or don't want to start out dining with all strangers. We have often invited other singles to eat with us, sometimes ending up with our own solo travler's table. :)

Sorry you didn't know about this Cruise Critic group cruise before now. It has been advertised in the newsletter and also I've posted about it on the boards, but with so much information on these boards, I know it is easy to miss. Plus I haven't posted as much in the past few weeks because I have been busy out of town involved with Katrina relief activities and had limited internet access.

But if you decide to join us, we'd be delighted to have you sail with our group. :) This could be your first foray into solo cruising, with your October cruise being your farewlll family cruise (unless perhaps they decide that it is worth paying for themselves and will be willing to do so, rather than you footing the entire bill)

Please feel free to email me for more information or questions. My email is kacruiser@ev1.net.

Here is our Cruise Critic August 19, 2006 Caribbean Princess cruise member page:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=84

Here is our group August 19, 2006 Caribbean Princess forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=288

Also, St. Martin has an excursion where you can ride Hogs in Paradise. :)There is a Harley shop on the island and I have previously talked with them for another cruiser. You can ride a Hog or one of the other Harleys--at a price cheaper than the ship excursion--and the are willing to let you book even if you come in on Princess, which offers a Harley ship excursion. Or if you want to ride with a group, you can sign up for the Princess excursion.

Thanks Montgomeryfamily, I'm still reviewing my options. There's a possibility the family may not attend on my October cruise....if they do, then I'm going to take a solo cruise in addition to it. I've been reviewing your Princess group cruise and it sounds great. I havne't been to the Eastern Caribbean yet or on a Princess ship....so both would be new experiences...as well as going solo. I'll send you an email with my questions.

IL2Crz, it would be great if you can join us! :) Please feel free to email with any questions or for more information.

Princess and our group cruise would be a great way for you to get your feet "wet" with solo cruising. The Caribbean Prncess is a beautiful relatively new ship (2004) with lots of activities for adults. Plus I really like the Eastern Caribbean itinerary--even though we don't ride Harleys. :)

If your family doesn't go with you on your October cruise, then that could be your first solo cruise. If you do go that way, I would encourage you to join the roll call, as the Freedom is going to be a huge ship and at least that way you might know someone.

IL2Crz, we have made some good friends from Cruise Critic too, so it is possible that you can meet people in advance through the cruise roll call. So often this depends on just whoever it was the booked the cruise and their personalities. But you can alway meet people on a Cruise Critic group cruise--in advance and/or onboard, if you choose. So it is a good way to break into solo cruising, before you go out completely on your own.

As for dining, you are invited to eat with my brother and me if you wanted. We have first seating, traditional and have requested a table for six, as we think that number allows us to meet people and still have good conversation with everyone. This could be done by cross-linking bookings. I don't know what the one solo lady's dining arrangement is, but the other two single gentleman have anytime dining. But it is also possible to meet people in advance and make seating arrangements with them too. The point is, you won't have to dine alone if you don't want too or don't want to start out dining with all strangers. We have often invited other singles to eat with us, sometimes ending up with our own solo travler's table. :)

Sorry you didn't know about this Cruise Critic group cruise before now. It has been advertised in the newsletter and also I've posted about it on the boards, but with so much information on these boards, I know it is easy to miss. Plus I haven't posted as much in the past few weeks because I have been busy out of town involved with Katrina relief activities and had limited internet access.

But if you decide to join us, we'd be delighted to have you sail with our group. :) This could be your first foray into solo cruising, with your October cruise being your farewlll family cruise (unless perhaps they decide that it is worth paying for themselves and will be willing to do so, rather than you footing the entire bill)

Please feel free to email me for more information or questions. My email is kacruiser@ev1.net.

Here is our Cruise Critic August 19, 2006 Caribbean Princess cruise member page:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=84

Here is our group August 19, 2006 Caribbean Princess forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=288

Also, St. Martin has an excursion where you can ride Hogs in Paradise. :)There is a Harley shop on the island and I have previously talked with them for another cruiser. You can ride a Hog or one of the other Harleys--at a price cheaper than the ship excursion--and the are willing to let you book even if you come in on Princess, which offers a Harley ship excursion. Or if you want to ride with a group, you can sign up for the Princess excursion.

Just a quick note, the harley excursions are with bike rentals. On the one I am referring to you bring your own on the ship and are first to board, get off and go through customs. Haveing your own bike makes a world of difference.

Just a quick note, the harley excursions are with bike rentals. On the one I am referring to you bring your own on the ship and are first to board, get off and go through customs. Haveing your own bike makes a world of difference.
Cool, didn't know you could bring a scooter on the ship. As for riding. No, not yet. I took a safety class last summer and had my heart set on the new Custom Sportster. Unfortunately my son was expecting his first baby....with wife in tow, and I ended up purchasing them a dependable car instead. Glad I took care of them, but it just killed me this summer every time I seen someone riding.

The instructors from the safety class wanted to hire me because I couldn't keep the smile off my face everytime I got on the bike...I must of reminded them of dumb & dumer with the bug-in-the-teeth. Only problem is I need a bike first. I guess I will just have to break down and get a used on for now. Thanks for the info on the cruise. I will check it out.

Cool, didn't know you could bring a scooter on the ship. As for riding. No, not yet. I took a safety class last summer and had my heart set on the new Custom Sportster. Unfortunately my son was expecting his first baby....with wife in tow, and I ended up purchasing them a dependable car instead. Glad I took care of them, but it just killed me this summer every time I seen someone riding.

The instructors from the safety class wanted to hire me because I couldn't keep the smile off my face everytime I got on the bike...I must of reminded them of dumb & dumer with the bug-in-the-teeth. Only problem is I need a bike first. I guess I will just have to break down and get a used on for now. Thanks for the info on the cruise. I will check it out.

If you plan on buying a Harley I suggest you buy new. For what you pay for a used one you can usually pay a little more and buy new. If you cant afford the custom sportster, buy the standard, they start out around 6000 and then you can take your time and customize it yourself as time and money permits. That is what I am doing with my softtail standard and I am really enjoying putting it together with the chrome and other equipment, instead of just buying it already complete. Good luck and good sailing. James

If you plan on buying a Harley I suggest you buy new. For what you pay for a used one you can usually pay a little more and buy new. If you cant afford the custom sportster, buy the standard, they start out around 6000 and then you can take your time and customize it yourself as time and money permits. That is what I am doing with my softtail standard and I am really enjoying putting it together with the chrome and other equipment, instead of just buying it already complete. Good luck and good sailing. James
Thanks, not a bad idea. The main reason for me wanting the custom was because of the larger tanks, and the handle bars....no reason why I can't do that myself. Besides, I really want to get comfortable working on the bike. Last thing I want is to be broken down on the road standing at the clue locker. LOL. I have a co-worker that lives pretty close and works on his bike all the time. He's also the one who got me interested. Will take your advice so I can at least be riding and customize as time alows...Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't done a singles cruise yet, but have often cruised solo. Nothing beats the privacy of your own cabin. Of course since I prefer a balcony, it can be cost-prohibitive at times, particularly Europe. As for meeting others, I never have trouble finding friends if I try. I have met many wonderful people - solo travelers and couples - that I still keep in touch with over the years. Come to think of it, I've met them all in the jacuzzis. The hardest part of traveling solo for me is dinner, as I really prefer "anytime dining" but don't like eating with a new group of people every night. The appeal of a singles cruise for me will be about finding friends to dine with each night.

Jeana

SH-green2.jpg.4b3251016b0f857f6bf06f550345aa85.jpg

Most of my cruises I have taken I have gone single. A couple of times I shared a cabin with a stranger but now prefer having the cabin to myself.

As far as the dinners go I like sitting with the same people everynight - you can really get to know them. This is why I do not like NCL's Freestyle cruising. I request second seating (no children around and you don't have to rush back after an excursion nor do you have to feel rushed finishing dinner) and table size of ten.

As far as the ports of call I would recommend singles sign up for an excursion. You don't feel 'alone', you feel very safe, and get taken away from the tourist shops that mainly sell things from China anyways!

• 4 weeks later...
Why are you going or considering a singles cruise?

I teach and have to go during breaks between semesters. My wife hates the big lines and this spring when I can go all of the luxury lines have gone to Europe (We prefer Sea Dream) so she told me to try out one of the mass markets to see if I like it.

What the heck, any cruise has to be better than staying home for two weeks when she has to work and the kids are in school.

Archived