Drinks Package

swfc

Hi

Can you have the alcoholic package & the non alcoholic package the wife does not drink.. I do ?

From what I know, you both have to have the same package. Annoying I know, but I expect it is done to ensure passengers do not share a package. I am also a non-drinker so the package wouldn't apply to my family either.

*All adults in the same cabin must buy the same package, according to the p&o information

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well they don’t seem to have told their customer information people as it was a moderator on the page who got the information.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well they don’t seem to have told their customer information people as it was a moderator on the page who got the information.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Doesnt surprise me, or they just read their emails with the latest things happening in the company and product the are offering

Doesnt surprise me, or they just read their emails with the latest things happening in the company and product the are offering

They are prone to giving out the wrong information either by a) customer services not knowing all the terms and conditions; or b) P&O not updating their website for the passengers. This is why

confusion sets in!

So currently, if you read all the information on the website, in the small print of the drinks package flyers it does state all adults in the same cabin must purchase the same package.

If you have children and buy the ultimate drinks package then that includes the children's package for free.

All of this information was put on the website for the Azura pilot, and the Costa Card information is also still there (which is now obsolete), so they may have changed their policies since.

I just can't imagine that many people drinking and coffee-ing through £40 pp per day. We don't use any soft drinks, prefer water during the day. We have one drink in the bar before dinner and then wine with dinner. One bottle of wine usually has some left for the following day. So if you reckon on £5.95 for the drink and £17 or £18 for the bottle of wine, we are way behind. Don't drink Costa coffee every day either. Use the buffet for coffee or tea. You have to be a heavy drinker to get anything from that package.

I just can't imagine that many people drinking and coffee-ing through £40 pp per day. We don't use any soft drinks, prefer water during the day. We have one drink in the bar before dinner and then wine with dinner. One bottle of wine usually has some left for the following day. So if you reckon on £5.95 for the drink and £17 or £18 for the bottle of wine, we are way behind. Don't drink Costa coffee every day either. Use the buffet for coffee or tea. You have to be a heavy drinker to get anything from that package.

That's assuming that the prices stay reasonably low. I would expect sharp rises to make the package seem good value. We drink quite a lot but would not hit £80 per day on current prices but at future prices who knows.

We all have different habits therefore a package that will be a waste of money for you will represent good value for someone else. People will weigh their usual onboard spend on alcohol against the package and make an informed decision that works for them.

I think it’s wrong and a little offensive to say that you ‘have to be a heavy drinker’ to receive benefit from this package. If you buy water to take ashore or take to your cabin/like soft drinks/speciality coffees etc and enjoy an alcoholic beverage or 3 (!) this is all part of making your cruise special. We shouldn’t be making people feel like they have some sort of problem with alcohol if they buy it.

We all have different habits therefore a package that will be a waste of money for you will represent good value for someone else. People will weigh their usual onboard spend on alcohol against the package and make an informed decision that works for them.

I think it’s wrong and a little offensive to say that you ‘have to be a heavy drinker’ to receive benefit from this package. If you buy water to take ashore or take to your cabin/like soft drinks/speciality coffees etc and enjoy an alcoholic beverage or 3 (!) this is all part of making your cruise special. We shouldn’t be making people feel like they have some sort of problem with alcohol if they buy it.

Quite correct a mid morning speciality coffee, pint of beer with lunch, wine for the wife, pre dinner cocktail/wine then glass of wine with dinner or perhaps 2 and then a brandy afterwards and a liqueur coffee last thing at night plus add a couple of bottles of water throughout the day and I do not think that is excessive or "heavy" drinking and would be very close to whether drinks package would be good value or not.

Quite correct a mid morning speciality coffee, pint of beer with lunch, wine for the wife, pre dinner cocktail/wine then glass of wine with dinner or perhaps 2 and then a brandy afterwards and a liqueur coffee last thing at night plus add a couple of bottles of water throughout the day and I do not think that is excessive or "heavy" drinking and would be very close to whether drinks package would be good value or not.

I’ve often wondered how many of the people who say they don’t drink enough to warrant the price of the package, actually don’t drink, or whether they just don’t buy drinks and make use of the generous amount of alcohol you can bring onboard.

I wasn't inferring any criticism. I thought I enjoyed a drink, but clearly I don't drink enough to warrant the package. I refuse to buy bottles of water due to all the stuff about plastic. We boil our kettle each day and fill up the bottle we have with that when it is cold. The cabin water tastes fine if you do that. I actually don't like soft drinks much. Costa coffee, about 5 during a 19 day cruise. Yes of course, each to their own. I was just flabbergasted by the price!

It would be good if someone who does think the package is good value to list what drinks, alcoholic and otherwise they reckon they would get through a day to warrant paying that much?

Major, with what you just listed, do you think you would do that every day and would that add up to the package?

I wasn't inferring any criticism. I thought I enjoyed a drink, but clearly I don't drink enough to warrant the package. I refuse to buy bottles of water due to all the stuff about plastic. We boil our kettle each day and fill up the bottle we have with that when it is cold. The cabin water tastes fine if you do that. I actually don't like soft drinks much. Costa coffee, about 5 during a 19 day cruise. Yes of course, each to their own. I was just flabbergasted by the price!

It would be good if someone who does think the package is good value to list what drinks, alcoholic and otherwise they reckon they would get through a day to warrant paying that much?

No offence taken [emoji5]- working on: (prices approx and rounded up)

1 or 2 cocktails round the pool = £14

2 wines before dinner = £12

2 at dinner = £12

That’s already £38 without 2 or 3 bottles of water (£6) coffees (£5) soft drinks (£5) sometimes a liquor coffee etc etc

The volume of alcohol consumption referred to for one particular day of the cruise in order to rationalize the price of the "package" may make sense to some . But no two days are alike for a multitude of reasons and to drink solely in order to obtain fair value for the expenditure would likely negate the pleasure.

Yes just thought of something else. What about the days when you are in port for a long time. You would be ashore and therefore not using any of your package until you got back in the evening? Presume it's then wasted? Ours is usually a 19 day cruise with 10 port days. We are off the ship early and back an hour before sailing.

The volume of alcohol consumption referred to for one particular day of the cruise in order to rationalize the price of the "package" may make sense to some . But no two days are alike for a multitude of reasons and to drink solely in order to obtain fair value for the expenditure would likely negate the pleasure.

That wouldn’t be the case for us - we would drink alcohol everyday but some days more than others, obviously. Regardless of whether we are ashore we would deem the package to be good value for us, no loss of pleasure.

P&Os drinks package at £39-95 pppd is competitively priced compared to other Carnival brand cruise lines Princess is $59-99 pppd and Cunard's which is currently on trial on QM2 is $69-99 pppd.

One should take into account the currency value in these prices. Today for example, the £39-95 price is $52.40 in U.S. dollars and $68.12 in Canadian dollars. To take into account both passengers, the package for us is $136.24 CDN. You might see why we would not consider this per day charge as it represents our minimum daily wage. For the sake of comparison, what would £39-95 represent in the UK?