Handicapped cruisers given priority use of elevators on RCI?

I have recently heard that RCI has begun posting signs in their ships, or informing passengers at check in...that handicapped (particularly wheelchair users) are given priority use of elevators....any truth to this?

We are taking our first ever cruise on Splendour OTS from Galveston on Dec 9, a lil concerned that there are only 2 banks of elevators for 2,000 passengers.

would appreciate hearing any experiences you have had....

We were on the Mariner in May, and at that time the only priority was the one allowed to us by the other passengers. I don't think a policy change is going to provide the help needed in this area, but I believe that restricting one of the elevators to wheelchair use might.

I doubt it will make any difference. Rude people will still shove ahead of wheelchairs if you let them, and lazy people will still ride the elevators one or two floors instead of burning off some calories by taking the stairs.

We just wait and take whatever elevator door opens that has room, either direction. It will eventually turn around if going the wrong way. We also plan to take the less busy elevators and pay attention to high traffic times to avoid being on the elevators (such as the beginning of disembarkation or the end of the show times).

I agree, it will make no difference even if they post a handicapped sign by one of the elevators - rude, pushy people will do their own thing with no regard for anyone but themselves. same as the handicapped signs in the theater - "oh, I didn't know, I didn't see the sign" we have been on some ships where we have sat in our wheelchairs and actually watched able bodied take signs off tables and put them on the floor. but I don't sit there and take that; I either go up and tell them or get one of the practically non-existent cruise staff to tell them. but you might as well be don quixote and blow in the wind. I hope it works, but if it does, I'll be very surprised. just like the drinking age and teens in the solarium - no monitor - no adherence to rules. ARE YOU LISTENING RCCL?:mad:

I am for experimenting with a designated elevator reserved for wheelchair use that can be accessed only by a specially coded room key. Even with that, I still don't know how long one would have to wait.

On the Jewel of the Seas Thanksgiving 2004 the wait for the elevators was unbearable.

For the folks in wheelchairs and/or scooters it was so sad. I should tell you up front that I am on of those "lazy" folks that take the elevator up or down 1 floor. You can not readily see my degenerative joint disease of the knees plus I am overweight (although losing) ...so I accept the eye rolls and sighs when I get off.

But anyway, I often had to fight to let the less able bodied get on the elevator. One man who I had to physically (gently of course) block so this nice woman could get on told me the he "had paid just as much as she and that I should mind my own business." It is so sad the rudeness and judgementalness that has crept into society.

It would be nice if there was at least one elevator with a special key card that only wheelchairs/scooters could use.

In the meantime let those of us who are not rude help folks "catch" one of the elevators because they did pay the same as we did.

The height of "rudeness" is when I take my service dog into the elevator and people start "squishing" in and stepping all over her! I have since trained her to go to the very back of the elevator, tuck in her tail and I place myself in front of her so they don't step on her feet!

For the most part people are pretty nice when they see a dog on board and 98% of them appreciate her, as I do. It's the 2% that I have to look out for!

And, they're not just on cruise ships, they're all over society! They're the 2% of our population that just don't "get it"! And never will!

Roz

I have recently heard that RCI has begun posting signs in their ships, or informing passengers at check in...that handicapped (particularly wheelchair users) are given priority use of elevators....any truth to this?

A sign? Oh that will do a lot of good.

:rolleyes:

My guess is that sign will work just like the adult only pool signs or the chair saving signs. And dont we know how people pay attention to those signs.

Signs will not work and neither will telling people at check in. The only way Handicapped people will ever get priority on elevators will be when they have a crew member at the evevator enforcing. Cruise ships just dont have the manpower for that.

On my last cruise it was just horrible. Me and mom would have to wait and wait while people practically crawled over my mom to get in the elevator before she did. Once I got her on the elevator I would take the stairs and meet her.

Oh, how my mom would love, love, love to be able to take the stairs.

Linda

A sign? Oh that will do a lot of good.

:rolleyes:

My guess is that sign will work just like the adult only pool signs or the chair saving signs. And dont we know how people pay attention to those signs.

Signs will not work and neither will telling people at check in. The only way Handicapped people will ever get priority on elevators will be when they have a crew member at the evevator enforcing it. Cruise ships just dont have the manpower for that.

On my last cruise it was just horrible. Me and mom would have to wait and wait while people practically crawled over my mom to get in the elevator before she did. Once I got her on the elevator I would take the stairs and meet her.

Oh, how my mom would love, love, love to be able to take the stairs.

Linda

This sure sounds like my post from 2005:

Elevators for Wheelchair User/Peak Periods

I would love to see the cruise lines designate a specific elevator for wheelchair/power chair/scooter users during peak periods. It gets frustrating not to be able to get onboard the elevators during peak periods. Ideas? Comments?:)

:mad:

Just a tiny bit of optimism here......... :)

While there are many rude and unthinking people crowding onto elevators, and placing themselves in front of chairs and scooters, I must say that we have found many AB's who are helpful and kind in assisting us to get on elevators. Most of the problems we have encountered are of the type that all the elevators are totally full when they get to wherever we are trying to get on...............and we, too, don't wait til one is going our way, we just get on whenever there is room, and take a little trip either up or down, to get wherever we are going. DH often assists me in getting on and then takes the stairs to wherever we are going.

We were on the Mariner in May, and at that time the only priority was the one allowed to us by the other passengers. I don't think a policy change is going to provide the help needed in this area, but I believe that restricting one of the elevators to wheelchair use might.

I understand your frustration, but I have EDS and can't climb (or descend) stairs. However, I don't usually need a wheelchair. Imagine how hard it is to convince people to let me on an elevator. Please be kind and help us folks with less visible disabilities. I promise not to use up an accessible stateroom or hc parking (until I have too). But don't kick me off the elevators.

Katie:o

I have recently heard that RCI has begun posting signs in their ships, or informing passengers at check in...that handicapped (particularly wheelchair users) are given priority use of elevators....any truth to this?.

Sorry folks, but it's just a rumor. There is no truth to it at all, and it's not even under consideration. I just checked with my sources in the access department.

Candy

I know we're supposed to be on vacation and more layed-back but I find that on a cruise it's really best to be more mindful of where you're going and when you need to be there!

A little bit of planning ahead will save you so much aggrevation, in the long run!;)

Well the idea is great BUT I am a Travel Agent and a wheel chair user since birth. I have been on 19 cruises so far and not ONCE did anyone leave the elevator for me to go in! On the contrary, lazy and able people go on it for just 1 or 2 floors! No matter if they are going up or down!

During peak hours is is really raelly bad and the wait is very fustrating.

To make matters even worse, must of the cruise companies do not ask for a letter from your Dr. when you book a handicapped cabin, and some people that are booking those cabins are in no need of them at all! They have figured that they can get more space with the hadicapped cabin, and why not? No one is asking them for Dr's documents. I have complained about this to the cruise companies and their answer is "well if we feel that someone is in the cabin that should not be, and we have a guest on board that needs it, we will ask them move"!

I know that is not true because I have been there.

When ever I book a cruise for a client I always ask them for a note from his/her Dr.

Happy sailings!

? No one is asking them for Dr's documents. I have complained about this to the cruise companies and their answer is "well if we feel that someone is in the cabin that should not be, and we have a guest on board that needs it, we will ask them move"!

I know that is not true because I have been there.

When ever I book a cruise for a client I always ask them for a note from his/her Dr.

Happy sailings!

I think that's rather invasive.

I know many wheelchair-users who don't even have a regular doctor. They are perfectly healthy, but they just happen to use a wc. It's not a disease, it's just how they get around. So I don't think you should have to have a doc's note at all. That would mean an extra expense for some folks who are truly disabled but who don't frequent docs at all. Or perhaps they don't even believe in western medicine (and I include myself in that bunch).

And what about the old person who uses a cane and a wc, just cause he/she can't get around? But they don't go to doc. i don't think they should be made to get verification. And the ADA says you don't have to do that. And the ships are now covered by the ADA. Self declaration should be enough. I don't think anybody takes an accessible cabin unless they really need it, and just because you can't "see" why they need it doesn't make it any less valid.

Let's face it, there are some big minuses (to ABs ) with accessible cabins. The showers are a pain becauses they always flood, there are no bath tubs, they look too institutional, they are near the noisey elevators and they can't get suites.

Still no med documentaiton should be necessary and I will very visibly campaign for that forever!! It's really an invasion of privacy.

Self declaration is enough. And if you happen to lie about it, then fine, you have to live with that.

Candy

I, for one, was somewhat surprised that we were not asked for medical justification when we booked an accessible cabin. After all, it's required to obtain a handicapped parking permit. I guess it's due to a difference in where we set our personal thresholds in the continuum between convenience and necessity.

- Richard

But it's (a doc's note) not required when you book an accessible hotel room. Anyone can book an accessible hotel room. And if you want to go one step further, anyone "who needs a little extra time" can preboard an aircraft. (and I encourage all slow walkers to do that, rather than getting trampled during general boarding). No doc note (or wheelchair) required.

The parking thing (documentation) is a DMV issue not an ADA issue. In other words, it's their rules (the DMV or governing body for vehicles in your state) and not even an ADA issue. ADA only specifies space size and placement, not who is "qualified" to park there (outside of van/plate/placard parking). The state gives out the plates/placards and determines who is eligible. Let's be honest, if you didn't really need the space (couldn't walk, or couldn't walk far etc.) why would you park there unless it's the only one left? Disabilities come in all shapes in sizes and as a few folks pointed out, some are "off and on" and some are hidden.

My dad (now deceased 6 months ago) had good days and bad days. He earned a purple heart in WWll from shrapnel in his knee (he landed on Omaha Beach in the First infantry) and suffered on and off from that injury throughout this life. He had a disabled plate. Most times he needed it, but sometimes he looked just fine. He was a strapping man and to many people probably didn't look disabled. He walked and did not use a wc. He would not even go out of the house with a cane (it was a pride issue to him, although I kept his cane -- my grandfather's -- as a remembrance.) But for the most part in his later years he needed an accessible (close) parking space because he just couldn't walk far.

Be honest, if you had a disability (OK maybe you do), would you constantly want to have to document it, especially if you were a frequent biz traveler (and I know many folks who fall into that category) who needed minor adaptations? I stress the frequent (meaning weekly) and biz traveler thing, as most folks I know in that cat, just really don't want to stand out. They just want to get on the plane and get on with their life.

Do I think ABs (real ABs) should be able to book accessible cabins just to get a little extra space? No, of course not. But I also don't think you have to have a wheelchair or a doc note to "qualify" for an accessible cabin. I think that no matter how many rules we have, some folks will find a way around them (that is what hackers do). I don't think we should make things difficult for the people we are trying to protect and provide access to.

And remember, many folks don't see doctors at all (just cause you use a wc doesn't mean you are sick). Why should they have to pay for a doc visit just to cruise?

Candy

We've had this discussion before. Many people with disabilities object to having to "prove" their disabilities by physician letter. Many see it as part of the paternalism of health care...need a permission slip from "daddy".

While you may need a form signed by a physician to get a disabled parking placard, I am sure you know that these are not only regularly forged, but that many doctors provide them willingly to people who do not qualify under their state's laws. What makes you think the same thing would not happen if cruise lines all required a letter from a physician?

Some cruise lines will move non-disabled passengers from accessible cabins, but most will not, and they certainly don't hesitate to sell these cabins to anyone, first come, first serve.

Be assertive at the elevators. Yes, there will be rude people, but you can shame a good number by just saying "excuse me, we were waiting for this elevator before you" (and holding the door while looking them directly in the eye). I usually help my mother onto the elevator and then take the stairs myself.

As most newer ships use electronic "key cards", why not have the same accessible room cards call a designated elevator? This function could be restricted to only peak use periods. During this time period, the call button for AB users would be disabled.

1. In California you MUST have a doctors note to receive a handicap placard. Can you still get one if you're not handicapped? Probably, if you're shifty enough!

2. I've worked in the medical industry for over 20 years, if you need a note from the doctor you will NOT be charged. The front office will take your request, the doctor will write the note (usually on an RX pad) and you will be called to pick it up or it can be mailed to you! Can you get a doctor to write one for you, even if you don't need it? Probably, if your pushy enough!

3. Should "WE" (the general "WE") be more cognizant of the elderly; the very young; the infirmed? Probably, but most of the general "WE" in our population are so "self absorbed", they can really only focus on "Me, Me, Me"! What's in it for "ME"!

Special elevators, special rooms, special patios, special restaurants, special decks.....what more do "WE" want? :cool:

I work for a venue where we keep x number of seats for patrons with special needs. The ADA does not allow me to ask for any documentation - it's an inversion of privacy. If I run out of general seats at that price, I can offer the ADA reserved seats to the public. At a certain pint, I can also open these seats to the general public. Do I make sure I can always find a seat for special needs - sure, if the show is not a sell out.

As most newer ships use electronic "key cards", why not have the same accessible room cards call a designated elevator? This function could be restricted to only peak use periods. During this time period, the call button for AB users would be disabled.

But how does that work for people like me, who aren't disabled but managed to get hurt on a cruise. Does that mean I need to pay to go see the infirmary to get the special coding on my card for the disabled?

Archived