Disney cruise and guide dog

cjborne2

We are preparing for our first cruise with a Seeing Eye dog. Anyone have any tips specifically relating to a Disney cruise? I'm wondering if there are any special papers we need for the dog and if he'll be allowed off the ship.

Thanks.

What ports? It is the country of the port that determines if the dog can go ashore, and what paperwork is needed. Some don't allow it at all, so you would need to plan to stay on the ship at those ports. You cannot leave your assistance dog in your cabin while you go ashore.

Check with the Special Needs office of your cruise line (I hope you are not going on Princess as they don't have one of these). They should be able to tell you the specifics and how to get any paperwork you will need. Plan far in advance as some countries require 90 days or more ahead for their applications. Remember that in foreign ports there is no ADA.

Check out the thread we have in this forum that is all about cruising with a service dog. It'll give you some good advice. :)

As for paperwork, you have to check with what each country you're going to requires. What ports is your ship stopping at? Your cruise line may not have this info. - it will be up to you to find out.

Call up the cruiseline and talk with their special needs desk. They will most likely send you a short form to fill out so you can tell them about your needs (i.e. potty spot for guide dog, tour of the ship to help you find where everything is, Braille dinner menus and cruise daily papers, etc.).

Any other questions, ask here!

I spent a lot of time on the phone yesterday trying to get to the bottom of what we need and think I have gotten it all straightened out.

We are stopping in the Bahamas (I think Nassau) and then Castaway Cay so we need to get the papers for the Dept. of Agriculture in the Bahamas. A very helpful lady from Disney emailed me the forms I need. We have about 4 months before our trip so I should have plenty of time to get everything filed.

It was also noted that we'll need a place for the dog to do his business and got that all squared away too. We did not have the dog when we planned this trip a year ago.

I did find a pretty informative website as far as what is needed for different countries.

I read through about half of the service dog thread so far. It is pretty informative.

The Bahamas is pretty simple to enter. What you need to do RIGHT AWAY is send for the Bahamas Import Certificate. This past year I got mine within a few weeks, but the year before that it took three months (which they have a reputation for doing). The import certificate is FREE for service dogs, so be sure you write "SERVICE DOG" on the form somewhere so they know why you're not sending in the $10 it costs for pets.

The form to fill out to request the permit can be found here: http://www.bahamas.com/assets/content/pdf/BAHAMAS%20IMPORT%20REQUIREMENTS_FORM_070604.pdf

When they send you the permit, they will include all the requirements for entry. Here are the basics:

1. Get the import certificate (it is good for one year for ONE entry [i.e. if you book another cruise to the Bahamas within the year, you will need to get another import certificate]).

2. Within 48 hours of your arrival in the Bahamas, go to your vet for an International Health Certificate. (If your dog's rabies vaccination is a three-year vaccination, make sure your vet writes that it is a three-year on the certificate, especially if it has been over a year since it was given! I recommend you bring a copy of the rabies certificate with you, just in case.)

3. Within 48 hours of arrival in the Bahamas, you need to go to a licensed veterinarian (i.e. the Bahamas Humane Society in Nassau - take a taxi to get there) for them to check the dog's paperwork. It is a very quick, few-minute process, but the wait may be a long time (we waited 2-3 hours last time), so ask the receptionist if you can be put as the next client since it will only take a few minutes and you're only in town for a few hours. The cost will be about $20 (prob'ly less if you choose not to get a new health certificate from them for getting back into the US, but I always do 'cause they're the humane society and need the money).

4. To get back into the US, you just need a health certificate that is less than 10 days old. You could use the same one you entered the Bahamas with, since they'll either take only one of the papers or none of them, or you could get a new one from the Bahamian vet (a simple computer-printed paper).

What is the Disney line giving you for a potty spot on the ship? Royal Caribbean says they will give me a 4' x 4' box with Cypress mulch.

To answer the easy question first, the dog will be getting a kiddie pool with turf in it.

The Disney cruise contact I spoke with yesterday emailed me the pdf that you sent the link for, and a copy of a faxed form that the vet needs to fill in to certify that the dog is in good health. She told me to fill out the first form and then send that into the Bahamas. I'll get the permit back, I need to send Disney a copy, and then bring the original with me when we're board. Once we're on the boat, she said that they would contact the Bahamas and get everything straightened out.

Now, if we have to go to a vet on the island, I'm betting that my husband will stay on the boat with the dog. Has this been your past experience?

Another problem is that we are doing the land portion of the Disney package first, so we won't be going to our vet within 48 hours of our arrival in the Bahamas.

I was a little confused on whether we needed to send the vet certification with the import form, but from what you are saying, I need to send in the papers to get the import form first, right?

Different cruiselines have different requirements for what they want for their records, so apparently Disney wants a note from your vet for their own records. Royal Caribbean (RCCL) first asked me for vaccination proof, but then later on I was sent the first form they asked me to fill out again (this time through the travel agent) and their requirements had changed - they fit with the ADA now.

My experiences going to the Bahamas have been for land vacations. Your hubby should get off the boat if he wants, though - the vet thing really isn't a big deal. The vet won't even check out the dog - will just look at the paperwork to make sure the dog has been vaccinated. Then she'll send you on your merry way. 'Course, for a cruise the cruiseline may be able to do it differently, I don't know - you need to ask them about this.

You should know that there are no access laws for any type of service dogs in the Bahamas. Some taxi drivers will give you a hard time at first and say their company doesn't allow dogs, but in the end they will take you. To get into stores and restaurants you may need to explain to the place what a service dog is and does and how you won't be able to go into their place/purchase anything from them if they don't allow the dog to enter. Although I don't leave the resort all that much, the times we have I've never been denied access in the end (after explaining service dogs and how other countries have laws and such). I don't know your plans for your day in Nassau, but if you go to Atlantis, they have chosen to follow the ADA in regards to service dog access - not all the employees are trained in this, but usually the managers are.

You'll have to call or e-mail the Bahamas (they do respond well to the e-mail address on their Web site [the one the PDF is on]) to see if it is okay if you can use a health certificate that is older than 48 hours. They might not mind at all, but I can't say for sure, of course. They may tell you to have it within 48 hours of the start of your trip (the start of your land portion). Or, you may have to go to a vet in Orlando if they say it must be 48 hours. You'll have to see what they tell you. I'm guessing they will be lenient (they're all on island time, after all! ;)), but ya never know.

You don't need to send anything with the import permit request form - just the form itself (remember to mark it as for a service dog - they will also mark your import permit with "service dog").

By the way, they do accept titers in place of vaccinations (except for the rabies, I would think - I've never tried that since the law here is to get it every three years anyway), so you do not need to over-vaccinate your dog just to vacation.

If I don't need to send any vet info, I can send that form out tomorrow after a trip to the post office to find out how much postage is needed. I did indicate twice on the form that the dog is a service dog.

I don't know what is on the itnierary for the Bahamas. I haven't gotten that far in doing my homework on this trip to see what there is to do as far as land excursions. Truth be told, neither of us are "beach people" so if one of us had to stay back with the dog while the other went with the rest of the group (my in-laws + our kids; there are 9 of us travelling together) and traded off, I think that would be OK. The "land" portion of the Disney vacation is my area of detail planning. There is no time for a vet visit :)

I am just thankful that I read somewhere that papers were needed for the dog. This wasn't something that any of us really thought about before. We are all learning as we go.

I did read that there are no access laws pertaining to service dogs.

Thanks again for the help.

Yup, all you need to send is the form.

I'm not a really beach person, either. All that sand!

Sounds like you'll have a great trip with nine ppl. How fun! I hope neither of you have to stay back with the dog, though. Go have fun, you should be able to find things to do. I've been in restaurants in Nassau with my service dog and everything, so there are places that understand.

I love Disney World, too! :) Did you know there are two books out there about going to Disney with disabilities, including small sections on going with a service dog? One is called "Passporter Open Mouse" and the other is "Walt Disney World with Disabilities" (that one can only be bought online from their Web site, http://www.diz-abled.com ). The books will tell you which rides service dogs aren't allowed on (i.e. Rock'n'Roller Coaster, Splash Mountain, etc.) and also where the dog potty areas are (very good to know, as not every cast member [worker] at Disney knows about them or where they are).

I have a copy of the Passporter book from the library now and likely will purchase one before the trip. I also have the guidebooks from Disney World. I'll need to investigate the other book too. Thanks for the heads up. I'm disappointed we can't take the dog on the teacups. (Just kidding). We fly with the pup tomorrow for the first time. We're looking foward to the adventure!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I appreciate it.

LOL about the teacups!

My girl dog's favorite ride was Pirates of the Caribbean. I think it is 'cause now it has a Johnny Depp animatronic character ;) .

Did you call to get the bulkhead seat for the plane? (For flights from and into the US they have to give it to a disabled person who has an SD [or a prosthetic that can't bend] if the person calls at least 24 hrs. in advance unless that row is an exit row [disabled ppl can't sit in exit rows for safety reasons].) These days the bulkheads usually aren't all that much bigger, but at least the dog doesn't have to try to get underneath a seat, which is a small space.

My main tip for flying is don't feed or water the dog before your flight. Potty him just before you leave for the airport. Once the plane is in flight and the stewardesses are bringing the drinks around, you can ask them for some ice cubes. Occassionally give your dog an ice cube to lick. When you get to your hotel (or home, for the reverse flight), take the dog potty and then water and feed him like normal (if it is too close to dinner time, just skip the breakfast that day - I try to book morning flights, though - and give the dog dinner ... skipping a meal won't hurt them at all).

Make sure you've read the TSA page on travelling with an SD, as it gives you the rules for going through security and such - sometimes/many times the TSA agents don't know the rules themselves (but their supervisor usually does).

Also, I advise that you pack at least one day's worth of your dog's food in your carry-on bag just in case his luggage is lost/delayed. I recommend the Outward Hound plastic folding travel bowls for food and water - they fold up small enough to fit in your pocket and they are sturdy.

Although I didn't read your tips regarding ice cubes and packing some food in our carryon luggage, the suggestions were "right on" and we actually did plan on (and did) both. Additionally, I did call the airline to see if there was anything special we needed to do. DH sat with the kids in a regular row, so the dog some room to stretch out. (And I got to sit by myself in front of them which was a treat!) All in all, the pup did great on the plane, but he wasn't excited about the "emergency landing" we needed to make shorty after takeoff. We think he felt the anxiety on the plane. Thankfully, there was no need to evacuate the plane. Imagine trying to get the dog down on the slide!

• 2 weeks later...

Emergency landing - oh my! I hope y'all were okay!! Of all the tons of times I've flown, I've never been in an emergency situation (thank goodness!), although my brother has several times (his friends say they never want to fly with him, LOL).

I have seen a document from the DOT (I think it was) on what to do with an SD in emergency situations. The dog is s'posed to sit in his handler's lap while going down the slide to help keep the nails from puncturing the slide. If the dog and handler get separated for whatever reason, the steward/stewardess is s'posed to send the dog down after the handler (how, I don't know, LOL!! I can't picture a dog going down the slide willingly!!).

I hope you were able to get to your destination despite the plane troubles.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update - The import permit arrived within 2 weeks after I faxed the paperwork. We took the dog to the vet last week for a routine visit and had the rest of the certifications filled out. Disney has confirmed receipt of the permit copy already. I have my originals with the passports. So now we just wait for the much anticipated trip! We're less than 3 months out now.

They seem to be doing much better with getting the permits out than previously. I, too, got the permit within two or three weeks for this year (sent it in via the mail last fall). The year before that, though, it took three to four months (which they were notorious for doing). It was rather funny to see the dates on the certificate compared with the signature compared with the postmarks - I got to see just how long the thing was sitting on each person's desk, haha.

You must be excited about the cruise! :) I think it'd be interesting to do a Disney cruise, since I love Disney World. It might make me miss the rides too much, though, since that's what I love most about the place. ;) But, since you're doing the land part first, you should be all set.

I read recently about somebody who actually took their SD on the teacups ride! :eek: Apparently it isn't actually in the guidebook as being off-limits for some reason (guess Disney figured most ppl wouldn't take a dog on a madly-spinning ride!). I don't recommend doing that, however!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm posting here since you were so helpful before regarding the dog, but on a different topic. Do you know if there is any special paperwork to bring the dog to Alaska? What about if we fly through a Canadian city? I know there are hoops to jump through to get to Hawaii, but I don't recall seeing anything special for AK. Thanks.

We are getting really close to our Disney cruise ~ only about 10 weeks to go!

Alaska is part of the US, but if you are stopping in Canada (flying out of Canada), you'll need a health certificate to get back into the US (in this case, Alaska). You'll also need said certificate to get into Canada, I believe - I'm not sure what other requirements, if any, Canada has for entry of a service dog. You may wish to contact the officials in Canada to see what, if anything, will be required.

Hawaii has special rules 'cause they are rabies-free islands. They are trying to keep rabies from ever reaching the islands, so that is why they are so hard-nosed even on the SD issue. (I'm not saying they are right, I'm just saying that's the reason. I don't agree with needing a six-month waiting period. I also don't think the titer is necessary for dogs who have been kept up on their vaccinations [or have annual titers to prevent over-vaccinating, though most states don't allow that].)

Thanks. From what I could tell there are no special requirements for Alaska either. Hopefully we can fly through somewhere in the states and not need to worry about any Canadian papers, but I should probably research it a little further just in case. I'm beginning to think we should just keep a copy of the rabies certificate in the little pouch on the dog's harness.

We don't plan on going to Hawaii any time soon, but 3 weeks ago, I didn't think we were going to Alaska either.

Right now, I need to concentrate on my Disney homework and getting my kids through the last few weeks of school.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/dogse.shtml - "Assistance dogs that are certified in canine vision, hearing ear, or other special skills are exempt from import restrictions when the person assigned the dog accompanies it to Canada."

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/dog_chien_3e.shtml - "Domestic or pet dogs may enter Canada if accompanied by an original valid rabies vaccination certificate, which is issued by a licensed veterinarian(2), in either English or French and which clearly identifies the dogs and states that they are currently vaccinated against rabies. This certificate should identify the animal as in breed, colour, weight, etc., and indicate the name of the licensed rabies vaccine used (trade name), including serial number and duration of validity (up to three years). Please note that if the duration of validity is not indicated on the certificate, the vaccine will be considered to be valid for one year. There is no waiting period imposed between the time the animal is vaccinated for rabies and the time the animal is imported into Canada."

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/dog_chien_queste.shtml - "Service Dogs with their users, certified canine vision, hearing or other special skill do not require vaccination against rabies (assistance dogs)."

"Do the requirements listed apply to pet dogs imported on a temporary basis, such as a visit or while travelling through to another country? Yes, the requirements apply to all pet dog importations including temporary visits and in-transit visits."

"Does my pet dog need a health certificate? Unaccompanied pet dogs less than 8 months of age will require a health certificate. Pet dogs over the age of 8 months that are travelling to Canada by air may require a health certificate by the commercial airline. Contact your airline carrier for additional information on their requirements." (Looks like no health certificate is needed to enter Canada.)

The way I am reading this is, if your SD is certified, you are exempt from showing proof of rabies. If the dog isn't certified, you need the rabies certificate, but don't need a health certificate. Do check with the Canadian authorities to be sure, though!

Hawaii takes six to seven months of prep work (unless your dog already has a still-valid rabies titer - I think if you don't miss any vaccinations by even a day, the titer stays valid), so it isn't usually a last-minute-trip place for ppl with SDs. :(

The UK and Ireland also take that long, since they also have the titer test. They also have certain countries that one cannot have visited in the six months prior to entering the UK or Ireland. The Bahamas in one such country and I go there every year, so I'm only eligible to enter the UK/Ireland for half the year (if I do the rabies titer)! I've always wanted to go to Ireland, so it is too bad I can't go on my friend's trip there since it'll be less than six months from a Bahamas trip I'm doing. :(

If you need any SD tips for Disney World, I've been there with my SD. There is also a great book called "Open Mouse" by the PassPorter Disney travel guide folks (http://www.passporter.com) - it tells where the SD potty spots are in each park as well as what rides are accessible or have certain things that would affect ppl with different disabilities from mobility to Autism.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to post again to thank you for the suggestions regarding our trip. We leave for the land portion later this week and set sail on Sunday!

Regarding the Florida heat, we have a water bottle with attached tray, a cooling collar, and got some of the Mushers paw wax. We're also packing a small blanket for the dog to lay on and bringing his much hated booties. Any other suggestions we might be missing? The heat down there can't be much worse than what's here in the Mid-Atlantic now. I also have small misters that should help us all too.

How exciting!!! :)

Oh, I wish I could go back to Disney this year. Have nobody to come with me this year, but hopefully next year I'll make one or maybe two trips (one a group trip, the other possibly with a family member).

Your dog hates the booties, too, huh? :) I've seen slip-on rubber ones (without soles - just rubber kinda like medical gloves), but I doubt they protect from hot surfaces much so haven't tried them. (They are advertised to be more dog-friendly because the dog can still feel the ground, the booties just protect the dog from sharp rocks and stuff.)

I love those misters! :)

Sounds like you're all set. Have a BLAST!!!!! And do report back about how it went when you get back.

• 1 month later...

We returned what actually seems like an eternity ago but has only been a few weeks. Still having a rough time getting back to reality after this long vacation :D

We had a great time on the cruise. Our room was fantastic. I'll post a mini trip report at another time but wanted to pop in to say I haven't forgotten about the boards.

I know this is very late in responding to all of the inquiries and such but I was perusing the boards and found this.....

cjborne2: I hope that your cruise was wonderful and that you found the "world" accepting of your Service Dog!!!!! :)

We were in an "emergency" situation on our flight to London, a few years ago. I sat at the entrance to the slide; the stewardess asked me to command Brenda to lay on my lap (I had one hand on her collar and one on her butt) and down we went!" Very nerve wracking but very safe for both of us!!!!!!! :o Your SD has so much trust in you....they'll do anything to please you!!!!

The person who mentioned about Princess not being responsive or not having a "Special Needs Dept." In their defense, Princess is one of the most responsive when it comes to bringing a Service Dog onboard a ship. Brenda will be on her 10th cruise in November. Her 5th with Princess. They're helpful and always accommodating to her needs. She's going to Hawaii for two weeks on the Golden and we're truly looking forward to it. The necessary documentation is not as complicated as previously mentioned.

On Carnival you are given a sign for your door that states, "Service Dog-Do Not Enter." This sign is meant to be put up when she is left in the cabin. So, to state that you can not leave the service dog alone in the cabin, is also not true!

Celebrity was so welcoming to us-they offered to walk her for me!!!!

Get an Agricultural Inspection Form, make sure the dog is up to date on all vaccinations, including your local city license. Have all your paperwork together in one place (passport/certificates/pictures of both of you)....and, your good to travel on and in any venue in the world!!!!!! It also works when trying to enter a restaurant or a shop in a foreign country.

I quietly take out my black/zippered pouch with all of her documentation-I present it to the person whose questioning me without saying much and were done!!!

A lot of the acceptance part of traveling with a Service Dog depends on YOU and YOUR PRESENTATION.....what I mean is; use your strong,assertive, assured self. Make sure your dog is ALWAYS on leash and is ALWAYS acting appropriately. Use the "down/stay" command when sitting and waiting and make sure he/she is in the "sit/stay" while waiting in line.

The TSA officials are always impressed by Brenda's demeanor in all areas of the airport. I make sure that I ask her to do something, where they can witness how brilliant she is! It really helps in how they treat you, when they see how well behaved and trained your dog is!!!!!!!

In some airports or docks you may see police or drug sniffing dogs.....be prepared to keep your dog close to you. The security and police dogs react more to your SD than your SD to them. They aren't so used to seeing other dogs walking in THEIR area.

Other folks, many years ago, went through HELL for our SD's to have the rights and freedom of travel that we do, today. Enjoy your rights, have fun and most importantly, have fun with your service dog!!!!! :)

Archived