Why dont more single mature men cruise???

bobbisailsolo

Whats up with older men? Don't they want to see the world? What better way than taking a cruise. I have been on several cruises by myself, and there are plenty of single women.....

I seem to see the total opposite as you. I consider myself a middle age man (48) and don't really meet many single woman around my age on the cruises that I go on. I tend to meet a lot of couples and younger people which is fine with me because I'm not looking to hook-up or anything. I always have a great time and meet a lot of great people which is the reason that I go on a cruise.

I seem to see the total opposite as you. I consider myself a middle age man (48) and don't really meet many single woman around my age on the cruises that I go on. I tend to meet a lot of couples and younger people which is fine with me because I'm not looking to hook-up or anything. I always have a great time and meet a lot of great people which is the reason that I go on a cruise.

Hi dolphin:) we are in the same age group (I have you by 2 years;))

I meet the same folks as you do...whoever is on the ship:D

And I ALWAYS have a fantastic time as well.

Maybe one day our paths will cross:)

Hi dolphin:) we are in the same age group (I have you by 2 years;))

I meet the same folks as you do...whoever is on the ship:D

And I ALWAYS have a fantastic time as well.

Maybe one day our paths will cross:)

It's a pleasure to meet you Lois. It would be great to meet on board one of these days. It's always good to meet other people that share the same interests and have the same outlook in life. Not to mention, putting a face with the name.

-Mark

Hello Lois and Mark. I am a little older than both of you....55. maybe i should call my self a senior, rather than middle aged...lol... have been on 3 cruises as a single. Yes I do meet a lot of very nice people.. male and female. definatley though more single women in my experience... but all of my male friends have no desire to cruise at all. I thought maybe males just feel its not a "manly" enough vacation. Don't get me wrong, I am not looking to "hook up" either, but I certainly wouldnt mind some company. Do you partake in the "singles" activities? I have never participated in these get togethers...

Hello Lois and Mark. I am a little older than both of you....55. maybe i should call my self a senior, rather than middle aged...lol... have been on 3 cruises as a single. Yes I do meet a lot of very nice people.. male and female. definatley though more single women in my experience... but all of my male friends have no desire to cruise at all. I thought maybe males just feel its not a "manly" enough vacation. Don't get me wrong, I am not looking to "hook up" either, but I certainly wouldnt mind some company. Do you partake in the "singles" activities? I have never participated in these get togethers...

I've gone to the Singles M&G but, at least on the Carnival sailings that I've been on, it's not very well organized. It's in a lounge with all the other cruises so you don't know who's single and who's not. At this point, I just go to the places that I enjoy which normally is the piano bar or the lounge with the live band. Since I've only cruised on Carnival, I can't say how the Single M&G's are on other lines. I'm sure that other's will chime in to give their experiences.

-Mark

I'm 42 and usually travel with my family (brothers, sisters and thier families). I went on the Destiny 2 years ago and the "sigles meet and greet" for my age range was a bust. I stopped by and it was only me... quite dissappointing. Come to think of it, I've can't remember meeting a single woman on a cruise...

I have no problem traveling by myself, without my extended family. So far when I do that, I go on land based vacations. I guess it's easier for me because I'm a talker... I like to meet the locals, go to out of the way places that the locals go. Cruise ships are always so busy, and packed with other tourists, I guess. I'm not sure I'd go on a cruise as a single, on my own.

Although... That being said... I am planning a trip to Europe next year... A cruise would be the way to see alot of Italy, France and Spain... Hmmm... now you got me thinking...

I'm 42 and usually travel with my family (brothers, sisters and thier families). I went on the Destiny 2 years ago and the "sigles meet and greet" for my age range was a bust. I stopped by and it was only me... quite dissappointing. Come to think of it, I've can't remember meeting a single woman on a cruise...

I have no problem traveling by myself, without my extended family. So far when I do that, I go on land based vacations. I guess it's easier for me because I'm a talker... I like to meet the locals, go to out of the way places that the locals go. Cruise ships are always so busy, and packed with other tourists, I guess. I'm not sure I'd go on a cruise as a single, on my own.

Although... That being said... I am planning a trip to Europe next year... A cruise would be the way to see alot of Italy, France and Spain... Hmmm... now you got me thinking...

One of the nice things about a cruise is that you have a moving hotel and you only unpack once but you get to go to many ports. But I guess you've already thought about that.

i'm doing a solo trip to spain at the end of the month.. this will be my first land trip going alone (not with any tour group) I have two sons who travel all over the world by themselve so I figure, why not me too But, on a cruise its easy, you know where you are going each day, know where youll have dinner. can join a shore excursion. Im a little more nervous about the land trip, since I really will be totally on my own. but i am so looking forward to it....i really think tho for a person traveling alone cruising is a great way to go...ill be doing a 20 night med cruise in sept... and sure hoping there might be some other single people aboard.. just would be nice to have some folks to hang out with a bit. In nice thing about cruising alone, if you want company, you can always find some, but if you want to just be alone, no one will bother you.

It's a pleasure to meet you Lois. It would be great to meet on board one of these days. It's always good to meet other people that share the same interests and have the same outlook in life. Not to mention, putting a face with the name.

-Mark

Hi Mark:) thanks:)

What cruiseline do you normally sail on? I am what some

would call, A Celebrity Loyalist;). I love their product.:D

In the past 6 years I have been lucky enough to sail with

them 18 times:)

I see you are from NJ...where is Hamilton?

Hi:) I haven't participated in any singles activities.

Not sure Celebrity even offers them but I meet plenty

of people in other venues. Sometimes I do trivia...its a fun

way to meet folks.

Wine Tastings, Wine Blendings, etc. And of course there

are the lounges;)

You have the same problem I run into, none of my male friends seem to be interested in cruising with a few acceptions and that is usually if we have a large group. Many times I meet women that are traveling in groups and they seem to be looking for groups of men so it makes it hard if there is just one guy. I have found almost all the Single meet and greets are not too good. Personally I don't think the staff puts forth much effort on them and they usually schedule them at terrible times (just my take).

Hi Mark:) thanks:)

What cruiseline do you normally sail on? I am what some

would call, A Celebrity Loyalist;). I love their product.:D

In the past 6 years I have been lucky enough to sail with

them 18 times:)

I see you are from NJ...where is Hamilton?

Hi Lois. I've only sailed on Carnival for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, I've always had a great time. Second, the other lines seem to always be higher. And third, I enjoy the atmosphere. I figure why pay more when I can just get more cruises instead. lol I would like to try another cruise line at some point just to be able to make a true comparison, but can't justify paying for 7 day cruise on another line when I can take a B2B for almost the same amount or just a little more. I do check the prices of other lines when I'm looking for a cruise but always go back to Carnival.

I did notice some specials that were listed in the one thread but I'm already booked next month on a 7 day Truimph, 3 & 4day Imagination so I didn't look any further.

I love CC because most of the people here can relate to what being addicted to cruising is like. lol

-Mark

You have the same problem I run into, none of my male friends seem to be interested in cruising with a few acceptions and that is usually if we have a large group. Many times I meet women that are traveling in groups and they seem to be looking for groups of men so it makes it hard if there is just one guy. I have found almost all the Single meet and greets are not too good. Personally I don't think the staff puts forth much effort on them and they usually schedule them at terrible times (just my take).

HI Vince, I agree, I dont think the cruise lines put much effort into the singles activities.. They probably just don't make enough money at it....but in my opinion, single cruises really would make a good target.. There is only one of us traveling so we have more to spend...

And I would probably spend even more, if there were more folks like me to sit at the bar and drink with...:D:D

Barb

Whats up with older men? Don't they want to see the world? What better way than taking a cruise. I have been on several cruises by myself, and there are plenty of single women.....

Hi Bobbi ...I'm your age, and ALL of my cruises have been solo. And I LOVE IT!

You are right, cruising is a great way to see the world, and it's so convenient, as cruisers know. Just check in to your hotel, get taken to fun places, get off and walk and explore and get dirty (4-wheelin!), get back on, have a spa treatment or go to a wine tasting or whatever, watch the ship leave port, clean up, have a cocktail, go to dinner and share conversation with your dinner mates, go to a show, stroll the promenade, listen to the sea, go out on the bow and watch the stars, ...and next day...do it all again! :)

I go on land trips too, solo, but never do any where near all the fun things mentioned above.

Sometimes I meet singles, or maybe a pair of women traveling together, and sometimes we share a specialty restaurant meal, or go to a show together.

Unfortunately, the usual token "singles meet and greet" is something like "be at this bar at 8:00pm". When you go, there either is no one there, or a few people just sitting at the bar, some talking to each other, some not. No cruise director getting people to meet each other, no activity at all; even the bar tender seems oblivious. And I'm standing there wondering, who are those people? solos? or just some passengers who happen to be sitting at the bar? Am I supposed to go up and interrupt their conversation, or their solace, and say "hi, I'm sailing solo, are you?" HA! What a bust.

I would love to have someone to share the sights and sounds with, especially shore excursions, but it's really hard to make that happen. Most people on a cruise are into their own thing and not looking to have some stranger join in. Though sometimes you meet a couple or a group who say "come on along with us!"

Ryan, I dont mean to sound negitive or in any way discourage someone from traveling solo, but I sometimes feels like the coupled passangers are somewhat threatened by the single/solo cruiser. do you ever pick up that vibe? Of course I dont let that bother me, and I have met some absolutely wonderful people as well. Its just that whenever someone "advertises" on these boards for people to share their private tours, they really arent just looking for 1 person. Other than that, I prefer to cruise alone. I guess I just like my own space... lol. I think its a little more of an adventure when you travel alone as well.. you just never know what to expect. I leave in 2 weeks for a week in spain.. Can't wait!!!!

Barb

Hi, I'm new to this site. I just finished my first cruise on the Carnival Spirit. This cruise was to just get away and meet new people and it was close to home. I am single but not by choice, I am also older.

I noticed questions about older single men and cruises. I can't answer that question for anyone but myself. Cruising just never crossed my mind until someone suggested I do it. The only cruises I had taken in the past were with Uncle Sam's Cruise line. Both my sisters have cruised but I never thought anything about it.

My focus was on relaxing and getting away, I met a lot of very nice people and I learned that cruisers are one big happy family, except when the waiter falls on your table.:o

Now that I know a little more about cruising, things will be better the next time. I understand this can become an addiction.

Ryan, ...I sometimes feels like the coupled passangers are somewhat threatened by the single/solo cruiser. do you ever pick up that vibe? Barb

Hi Barb,

No, I have not felt like a threat to others. Maybe you're hot :rolleyes:, and therefore a threat :eek:, and I'm not :mad:. I dunno.

Hi Game Fish! We both live in North San Diego county. Yeah...cruising can be VERY addicting! :o

Hey Firefighter ...you're funny ...guess it comes from being immature! :cool:

Hi, I'm new to this site. I just finished my first cruise on the Carnival Spirit. This cruise was to just get away and meet new people and it was close to home. I am single but not by choice, I am also older.

I noticed questions about older single men and cruises. I can't answer that question for anyone but myself. Cruising just never crossed my mind until someone suggested I do it. The only cruises I had taken in the past were with Uncle Sam's Cruise line. Both my sisters have cruised but I never thought anything about it.

My focus was on relaxing and getting away, I met a lot of very nice people and I learned that cruisers are one big happy family, except when the waiter falls on your table.:o

Now that I know a little more about cruising, things will be better the next time. I understand this can become an addiction.

yes, it can be quite addicting. I ususally start planning my next cruise as soon as I get home, which probably isnt the best way to do things.

Archived