Christmas and New Year Cruises ?

Sailor1959

Ahoy There Mates !

We're considering a cruise over the Christmas and New Year holidays.

Does Princess do anything "special" on Christmas and/or New Year Eve/Day ?

Sailor1959

We've done one on Pacific.

They had Santa come aboard from a tender and pass out kid's presents. There were decorations everywhere. Carolers singing in the small atrium. Special dishes for Christmas.

For New Year's Eve, we had a formal night and the men got cardboard top hats, the ladies got a cardboard "crown" and everyone got a noisemaker.

I don't remember anything else that especially special.

They had Santa come aboard from a tender and pass out kid's presents. There were decorations everywhere. Carolers singing in the small atrium. Special dishes for Christmas.

For New Year's Eve, we had a formal night and the men got cardboard top hats, the ladies got a cardboard "crown" and everyone got a noisemaker.

Thanks Retired JF !

Sounds cool.

Just got off the Regal for the Christmas and New Years cruises.

In addition to the comments above, a few more observations...

The ship was beautiful with many decorations but very tasteful.

On Christmas Eve, the crew and officers sang Christmas Carols in the Piazza. From the upper deck a snow making machine was on while everyone sang White Christmas. Very nice and festive.

In our cabin we received a stocking filled with candy on Christmas Eve.

There was a religious service in the theater at Midnight.

A gingerbread house making contest was in the Horizon court. Anyone could make one, then they were on display and judged by the passengers.

For New Years Eve there were parties all over the ship. On MUTS they showed celebrations from all the major cities around the world.

Announcements were made when different parts of the world hit midnight, ie. the UK.

Balloon drop in Piazza at midnight.

At 11:00pm the Horizon Court repoened with many different snack foods.

I thought Princess made the cruises very special and festive for the holidays.

One cool thing was on the TV there was a station where you could have a picture of a fireplace crackling.

Pam

Just got off the Regal for the Christmas and New Years cruises.

In addition to the comments above, a few more observations...

The ship was beautiful with many decorations but very tasteful.

On Christmas Eve, the crew and officers sang Christmas Carols in the Piazza. From the upper deck a snow making machine was on while everyone sang White Christmas. Very nice and festive.

In our cabin we received a stocking filled with candy on Christmas Eve.

There was a religious service in the theater at Midnight.

A gingerbread house making contest was in the Horizon court. Anyone could make one, then they were on display and judged by the passengers.

For New Years Eve there were parties all over the ship. On MUTS they showed celebrations from all the major cities around the world.

Announcements were made when different parts of the world hit midnight, ie. the UK.

Balloon drop in Piazza at midnight.

At 11:00pm the Horizon Court repoened with many different snack foods.

I thought Princess made the cruises very special and festive for the holidays.

One cool thing was on the TV there was a station where you could have a picture of a fireplace crackling.

Pam

Thanks Pam !!!

It's sounding better and better.

And... a belated Merry Christmas to you :*

OP, in addition to the above, here are several things I have learned from three Princess Xmas cruises in a row:

There are several Christmas-related dining room items on December 25th, including the gingerbread soufflé. That one is only served once a year on Princess, on Christmas Day.

While the kids wait in line for their photos with Santa (gifts for all -- one of the Discovery plush toys), there's a holiday themed crafts fair for the kids so they can get one last non-permanent tattoo on their way to see Santa.

Champagne fountain and a toast for all on New Year's Eve. It's very festive that night at the dining room -- I still have my cardboard crown (with feather) and beads from the December 2015 Pacific Princess Panama Canal cruise.

Any morning with a slice of stollen is pretty festive as far as I'm concerned.

The cabin numbers are decorated with an ornament/greenery thing. What is a lot of fun is to see the cabin doors of passengers who enjoy spending the holidays on board: lots of clever decorations!

In addition to the Christmas log channel on TV, you'll find a variety of Christmas movies.

My gingerbread house building skills have been honed by participating in the contest for three years. Before I pack bathing suits, I carefully stow my icing decorating kit and sprinkles.

One last word: if you wish to do non-holiday relating things or take a break from "snow" and Santa, you'll find plenty to do.

M

One thing Princess does for the Christmas and New Year cruises is to charge more for them. :rolleyes:

True... but it's not only Princess.

Hotels, some upper-scale restaurants, etc. etc.

That said: We're Going !!!!

(See my last Count-Down Clock) ;p

We really enjoy cruises that cover both Christmas and NYE. They are so fun and my absolute favorite!! We do this combo as much a we can because it covers two holidays and is such a great get away with the family. We were not sure when we booked our first one, so just try it and see if you like. It is different then spending the holidays at home, but we've found it to be an amazing experience with the ship decorated beautifully. Our family really loves it.

I hope you consider it and enjoy it if you go!

We really enjoy cruises that cover both Christmas and NYE. They are so fun and my absolute favorite!! We do this combo as much a we can because it covers two holidays and is such a great get away with the family.....I hope you consider it and enjoy it if you go!

Thanks JennyBenny !

There were so many positive statements....

As my last "Count-Down Clock" indicates...

We Booked It !!! :D :D

A fellow Northern Californian: Sailor1959

We were just on the Pacific Princess for the holidays and yes, they brought carolers aboard the ship in Port Everglades before we departed. Christmas had one of the head waiters dressed up as Santa and posed with the passengers while their photos were taken. Christmas day the head chef had his staff prepare a wonderful brunch in the dining room that had tables of deserts, pasta, meat dishes, fish, salads.......everything you could think of that could break his budget and something you can only pull off on the small 670 passenger Pacific Princess.

While in port at St. Croix, Santa again got dressed up and the ship brought aboard almost 100 children from the local orphanages and schools to visit him, receive a nice present, have lunch and the production staff put on a show for them. All this and ship was decorated to the hilt including a fabulous display of gingerbread houses and other holiday items.

New Year's Eve was a great event with parties in both of the show venues with live music, hats, Champagne and even the staff joined in.

While we really wanted to do the Pacific Princess again for both holidays this year, we opted to do New Years again on the Regal Princess for a BTB.......hopefully, the ***** will be happening by then.

We were just on the Pacific Princess for the holidays and yes, they brought carolers aboard the ship in Port Everglades before we departed. Christmas had one of the head waiters dressed up as Santa and posed with the passengers while their photos were taken. Christmas day the head chef had his staff prepare a wonderful brunch in the dining room that had tables of deserts, pasta, meat dishes, fish, salads.......everything you could think of that could break his budget and something you can only pull off on the small 670 passenger Pacific Princess.

Hmmmm.... I'll look into cruises on the Pacific Princess.

The smallest ship we sailed on was the NCL's "Sun". Easy and Fast to get from point "A" to point "Z" !!!

While in port at St. Croix, Santa again got dressed up and the ship brought aboard almost 100 children from the local orphanages and schools to visit him, receive a nice present, have lunch and the production staff put on a show for them. All this and ship was decorated to the hilt including a fabulous display of gingerbread houses and other holiday items.

Neat-O !!!

We have celebrated NY with Princess twice and I think it's the best way to spend the Holidays! So much to do for everyone - different parties in lounges and bars, party with band in the Piazza and the DJ deck party on the pool deck with MUTS. If I stayed home I know I would spend minimum 200$ p/p a night to have an equivalent party and I would have to find transportation back and forth in what likely would be inclement weather. All in all, I think the Holiday sailings are a good value and it can be expected that prices increase with demand for any time of year (holidays, school break, summer).

I have not celebrated Christmas on the ship but when we got on before NY the ship was decorated beautifully with garland in the Atrium, some Christmas trees in main areas, all very nice. We spoke to some people who do back to back cruises to celebrate both Christmas and NY and they all said it was wonderful. On another note, years ago we sailed before Christmas and while in the islands we heard Christmas songs in Reggae! What fun for those that don't like the cold and can get away!

We took a NY cruise the year before. It was fun, they hand out top hats, tierra's and noisemakers. Also there's a balloon drop at midnight and parties all over the ship.

This year we're taking our first Christmas, New Years and the wife's birthday cruise to Hawaii! We did it for Thanksgiving and we enjoyed it.

Sailor, Grand's Xmas/New Years Cruise was a sell out. Passengers totaled 2874, where the ship is listed for 2600 passengers. Many Ship's Officers had their family on board. There were 380 children along with 40 teenagers onboard. Princess gave each child a 12inch Fluffy/Stuffed Grey Penguin. This cruise had 1,276 First Timers onboard and every venues was over filled. All Dining Rooms were very busy and the Horizon Court was the easiest to dine in. Only minor item was after 10 days onboard, many kids and teens got antsy/anxious. Elevators stop at every floors, kids hanging out on stair ways, teens running through areas, and one teen jumped from the deck 15 Conservatory/Ping Pong tables area down to the Calypso Reef & Pool. Big sign stating "NO Jumping or Diving" and then they took off before Security got there. Other than that, We had a great time and Christmas in the Hawaii is a different experience. You'll love the cruise.

Sailor, Grand's Xmas/New Years Cruise was a sell out. Passengers totaled 2874, where the ship is listed for 2600 passengers. Many Ship's Officers had their family on board. There were 380 children along with 40 teenagers onboard. Princess gave each child a 12inch Fluffy/Stuffed Grey Penguin. This cruise had 1,276 First Timers onboard and every venues was over filled. All Dining Rooms were very busy and the Horizon Court was the easiest to dine in. Only minor item was after 10 days onboard, many kids and teens got antsy/anxious. Elevators stop at every floors, kids hanging out on stair ways, teens running through areas, and one teen jumped from the deck 15 Conservatory/Ping Pong tables area down to the Calypso Reef & Pool. Big sign stating "NO Jumping or Diving" and then they took off before Security got there. Other than that, We had a great time and Christmas in the Hawaii is a different experience. You'll love the cruise.

Altho... I was a kid once...

I'm not a fan of kids at certain venues.

Unless parents are the kind who will not let their "darlings" run amok.

We'll try to enjoy ourselves... inspite of them. :p

We took several Christmas cruises and a couple of New Year's ones when DH was a community college professor. Now that we're retired and no longer restricted by his school break schedule, we like sailing the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. We get all the holiday decorations without the extra cost or the extra children. We sailed on the Royal last month from the 10th through the 20th. Our cruise had a couple of dozen children. The Christmas cruise was going to have over 500 according to the Captains Circle hostess.

Altho... I was a kid once...

I'm not a fan of kids at certain venues.

Unless parents are the kind who will not let their "darlings" run amok.

We'll try to enjoy ourselves... inspite of them. :p

All the beautiful things are true...unfortunately we did not enjoy our Thanksgiving nor Christmas cruises due to over 700 children onboard who took over all our favorite venues. We will never book another holiday cruise. If you have lots of family and kids it can be a wonderful experience. We are retired 62 year olds who enjoy laying by the pool and watching Movie under the stars, using hot tubs, etc. while onboard. Never could do it because the kids were all over the place screaming, splashing and just being kids. Many not supervised by their parents. They were all over the dance floors and the Piaza. I came home not very happy. We paid way too much for that experience but we've learned not to do it again.

...unfortunately we did not enjoy our Thanksgiving nor Christmas cruises due to over 700 children onboard who took over all our favorite venues. We will never book another holiday cruise. If you have lots of family and kids it can be a wonderful experience. We are retired 62 year olds who enjoy laying by the pool and watching Movie under the stars, using hot tubs, etc. while onboard. Never could do it because the kids were all over the place screaming, splashing and just being kids. Many not supervised by their parents. They were all over the dance floors and the Piaza. I came home not very happy. We paid way too much for that experience but we've learned not to do it again.

Wish families with kids would book with Disney line.

There.. you expect screaming kids.

An option is to book the "Santuary"

which I believe are adults only.

Now you know why there are several resorts that are adults only ;)

All the beautiful things are true...unfortunately we did not enjoy our Thanksgiving nor Christmas cruises due to over 700 children onboard who took over all our favorite venues. We will never book another holiday cruise. If you have lots of family and kids it can be a wonderful experience. We are retired 62 year olds who enjoy laying by the pool and watching Movie under the stars, using hot tubs, etc. while onboard. Never could do it because the kids were all over the place screaming, splashing and just being kids. Many not supervised by their parents. They were all over the dance floors and the Piaza. I came home not very happy. We paid way too much for that experience but we've learned not to do it again.

I am 60 years old and never had children. Not once, in 9 Christmas cruises did I have a problem with kids on-board. Not sure what ship you were on. Did you try the adult only pools? We were on Royal this year, and the 500 kids on-board was about half the number usually on Christmas sailings. I chalked this up to the 10 day cruise in comparison to the 13 b2b we did last year with approx 900 on-board. Were some dancing in the Piazza, yes, but mostly adults. They sure were not in Crooners! I do not know what "venues" are your favorite as I do not do trivia, bingo, etc. I would hope you expect kids at the Gingerbread building contest, cookie decorating, Santa in the Piazza, etc., which ALL could be avoided if you wanted to. So I do not have lots of family NOR kids and I have found my NINE Christmas cruises to be a wonderful experience. I'm sorry your ONE experience was not the same.