Coming Back to Princess -- Questions

iewe

Years ago we took a cruise on Princess and loved it. Then life happened with kids, and we have been cruising with Carnival consistently for the last few years with the kids. Husband and I are now planning on coming back to Princess in November for an "us only" cruise, and I just have a few questions... Hoping that some seasoned cruises with Princess can help me out!

With the Soda and More package, does that include bottled water? What about regular brewed coffee (not necessarily specialty coffee)?

Does anyone have the latest menus from the Hawaii cruise (15 day)?

Flying in and out of LAX -- any recommendations for hotels and transportation from LAX to hotel, hotel to port, and port to LAX?

I know other cruise lines allow you to purchase early boarding, if you are not yet at the "priority" level... Does Princess do this as well?

Is it easier when doing a 15 day cruise to pack enough for those days, or using laundry services on board (either self serve or where we send it out)?

I have tried googling and searching for this information, but either not coming up with the exact answers I am looking for, or pulling VERY outdated stuff....

Thanks in advance!!!

Years ago we took a cruise on Princess and loved it. Then life happened with kids, and we have been cruising with Carnival consistently for the last few years with the kids. Husband and I are now planning on coming back to Princess in November for an "us only" cruise, and I just have a few questions... Hoping that some seasoned cruises with Princess can help me out!

With the Soda and More package, does that include bottled water? What about regular brewed coffee (not necessarily specialty coffee)?

Flying in and out of LAX -- any recommendations for hotels and transportation from LAX to hotel, hotel to port, and port to LAX?

I know other cruise lines allow you to purchase early boarding, if you are not yet at the "priority" level... Does Princess do this as well?

Is it easier when doing a 15 day cruise to pack enough for those days, or using laundry services on board (either self serve or where we send it out)?

I have tried googling and searching for this information, but either not coming up with the exact answers I am looking for, or pulling VERY outdated stuff....

Thanks in advance!!!

We only ever pack clothes for about 8 days and do some laundry once or twice a week

Soda is unhealthy but the quality of the water on Princess exceeds the quality of bottled water.

Sorry never took a Hawaii cruise but I'm sure the menu's are fine

Uber is always a good choice

I don't think so

Doing your own laundry is easy. Just bring your own favorite detergent.

Thanks in advance!!!

What Princess ship are you searching for?

Howard

Flying in and out of LAX -- any recommendations for hotels and transportation from LAX to hotel, hotel to port, and port to LAX? Double Tree & Crown Plaza in San Pedro have shuttles to the port.

Depending on what you choose to spend: Shuttle, Uber, Taxi to hotel and also Princess transfer back to LAX.

I know other cruise lines allow you to purchase early boarding, if you are not yet at the "priority" level... Does Princess do this as well?No

Is it easier when doing a 15 day cruise to pack enough for those days, or using laundry services on board (either self serve or where we send it out)? Last cruise was 15 days and even having free Elite laundry packed for entire cruise..

Flying in and out of LAX -- any recommendations for hotels and transportation from LAX to hotel, hotel to port, and port to LAX? Double Tree & Crown Plaza in San Pedro have shuttles to the port.

Depending on what you choose to spend: Shuttle, Uber, Taxi to hotel and also Princess transfer back to LAX.

I know other cruise lines allow you to purchase early boarding, if you are not yet at the "priority" level... Does Princess do this as well?No

Is it easier when doing a 15 day cruise to pack enough for those days, or using laundry services on board (either self serve or where we send it out)? Last cruise was 15 days and even having free Elite laundry packed for entire cruise..

Double Tree is nicer than Crown Plaza, but a little further away. DT's shuttle service is heads and shoulders above the shuttle for CP.

Sending your laundry out would cost a fortune. Washer/dryer are cheaper. Bring your own soap.

Here is the menu from Grand Princess 15 Days to Hawaii. I'm sure it may change a bit Fleet wide.

Baked Mahi Mahi, Wok Flashed Shrimp w/Lehua Honey, Roasted Pork Tenderloin w/ Lavender Fig Butter, Chili-Spiced Szechuan Shrimp, Pan-Fried Tilapia in Orange Sauce, Asian Spiced Duck Breast, Grilled Kingklip w/Asian Slaw, Kalua Duck w/Plum Sauce, Indonesian Grilled Lamb, Redwine/****ake Braised Beef Short Ribs, Togarashi-Seared Snapper, Seared Divers Scallops, Cocoa Spiced-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin w/Apricot Dripping, Shredded Kalua Pig in Ti Leaves, Island Spiced Jerk Chicken, Macadamia & Pankco Crusted Mahi Mahi, Grilled Ono Steak w/Lime Butter, Pad Thai Noodles, and Hoisin Rubbed Short Ribs. Also served were pastas, vegetarian items, chops, steaks, chicken fingers, macaroni cheese, fried chicken and soups & salads.

Just to provide a little more clarification to some of the above responses.

The Crown Plaza and Doubletree hotels that were mentioned are in the town of San Pedro, which is where the port is located. The shuttle ride to the ship from either hotel is just a matter of minutes. If traffic is good for you, we're talking about a 30-45 minute ride from the airport to San Pedro. Uber and Lyft are good solutions to getting there. There are also various van services that will transport you from LAX.

Also, there are scads of hotels adjacent to LAX which will shuttle you from your arrival terminal--Google "LAX Hotels." Then, the next day use Uber/Lyft to travel to the port in San Pedro.

I have found the boarding process at San Pedro to be very efficient. Of course, sometimes glitches happen, e.g.,

• A problem disembarking the previous cruise.
  • A Coast Guard inspection--scheduled or unscheduled.
  • A special ship cleaning or sanitizing caused by an unusual incidence of infection of passengers on the previous cruise.

My experience is that, typically, boarding at San Pedro starts around 11:00-11:30. There will be passengers who do have boarding priority--based, mostly, on their previous cruise history with Princess. I would think, however, that if you were to arrive at the berth by about 11:30 am, by the time you dropped off your baggage with the porter, found your way inside the terminal, filled out the "Health Questionnaire" certifying that you are not sick, go through the check-in process to get your cabin key card, and, then, go through the security scanner, you would not have to wait very long before you would be able to board. You can feel free to ignore any boarding time indicated on your Travel Summary.

We stayed at the DoubleTree San Pedro for the first time last April and loved it. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Not only did the shuttle take us to the cruise terminal the morning of the cruise, but also took us to the grocery store the day prior. The evening before the cruise we walked from the DoubleTree to The 22nd Street Landing Seafood Grill & Bar and had a great pre-cruise dinner. We also had a marina view room which was nice.