Your favorite embarkation port that NCL uses

Peachypooh

We have cruised out of Seattle, NYC, New Orleans and Miami with NCL. By far we liked Miami for ease of getting in and out of (at least on our itineraries) and the facilities they have. All of these we had to fly to so that takes into account ease of getting in and out of the airport and finding a decent hotel. I was wondering about other's experiences most notably Europe as we have never tried that. Thanks.

Miami is the easiest.

Last year, we had a nightmare embarkation in Vancouver (Princess cruise) because no escalators were working. They rerouted us all through the inside and outside of Canada Place, through the hotel lobby. It was crazy.

Yes, I think Miami is the easiest port to fly into and access from the airport, but If I had to pick a favorite I think it would be NYC. Although the trip from the airport to the cruise terminal is usually much longer than other ports, there is just something special about sailing down the Hudson, by the Statute of Liberty and sailing under the bridge as you leave the Hudson and enter the bay on your way to the Atlantic.

Referring specifically to Europe, as you asked, we have embarked at Southampton, Copenhagen, Venice and Barcelona. We have also visited Rome a few times as a port of call, but it is an Embarkation port as well.

Favourite is Barcelona, as it is both a fantastic city and also easy to get to the port (and the airport is fairly close to the city).

Southampton is also easy to get to, but it is less interesting in itself (although there is plenty nearby). It doesn’t excite me because I know it so well and used to live nearby.

Rome, Venice and Copenhagen are all fantastic cities, but all are not that easy to get to. Venice is fun, but to be honest, I’m fed up of all that messing about in water taxis. The embarkation port for Copenhagen is a pain to get to (although if you visit as a port of call you usually dock much more centrally). Rome is a real pain, or quite expensive, especially if you are trying to get from the airport to the dock directly.

I like them all a lot, and they all need visiting, but the transport can be a bit of a challenge, especially compared to the US ports I’ve used (New York, Miami and Seattle).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tampa! Nice looking cruise terminal, hotels within walking distance, airport is a 20 minute ride. Only Seattle has hotels closer to the pier. Nothing like rolling your luggage down the sidewalk from the Edgewater Hotel Lol

Referring specifically to Europe, as you asked, we have embarked at Southampton, Copenhagen, Venice and Barcelona. We have also visited Rome a few times as a port of call, but it is an Embarkation port as well.

Favourite is Barcelona, as it is both a fantastic city and also easy to get to the port (and the airport is fairly close to the city).

Southampton is also easy to get to, but it is less interesting in itself (although there is plenty nearby). It doesn’t excite me because I know it so well and used to live nearby.

Rome, Venice and Copenhagen are all fantastic cities, but all are not that easy to get to. Venice is fun, but to be honest, I’m fed up of all that messing about in water taxis. The embarkation port for Copenhagen is a pain to get to (although if you visit as a port of call you usually dock much more centrally). Rome is a real pain, or quite expensive, especially if you are trying to get from the airport to the dock directly.

I like them all a lot, and they all need visiting, but the transport can be a bit of a challenge, especially compared to the US ports I’ve used (New York, Miami and Seattle).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your helpful and detailed analysis!

Yes, I think Miami is the easiest port to fly into and access from the airport, but If I had to pick a favorite I think it would be NYC. Although the trip from the airport to the cruise terminal is usually much longer than other ports, there is just something special about sailing down the Hudson, by the Statute of Liberty and sailing under the bridge as you leave the Hudson and enter the bay on your way to the Atlantic.

I agree. NYC was the most awe inspiring (sailing down the Hudson and especially under the bridge).

The flight to LGA and taxi into the city not so much.LOL

Barcelona hands down.

The others I have embarked at include NYC, Miami, Rome/Civi, LA, and San Antonio-Chile. In Barcelona, the AeroBus to and from the airport is very convenient and inexpensive. Las Ramblas and La Boqueria Market are fun. So much to see and do.

We have cruised with NCL and Carnival at numerous ports and our recent trip on the Epic out of Cape Canaveral was the fastest, easiest and quickest on both embarkation & debarkation, they were both under an hour. Couldn't be happier.

Looking forward to our next trip on the Getaway out of Miami in November. Lets see if they can top the Epic.

Be safe out there.

My favourite embarkation port is always the next one I am going to to board a ship for a well planned cruise. That is till I am on board and looking to book the next cruise with its embarkation port!!

I liked Yokohama the twice we used it recently, easy to get to, nice situation and great shore staff.

casofilia, love your answer. I would pretty much agree with the exception of a few. We hated NY although we enjoyed the taxi ride as it gave us a true feeling of being in NY. Every time we go to NY is a new experience. The terminal though, we had to walk forever. New Orleans isn't bad embarking, but awful disembarking. I like Tampa, easy peasy and I think San Pedro is easy as well. Oh, I can't forget Boston. We spent a couple days there prior to our cruise a few months ago. Not only were the people in Boston very friendly was easy for embarking and disembarking.

Love NY, because nothing beats a NY vibe and that view when sailing away. Plus, I was expecting more chaos, but embarkation and debarkation were perfectly orchestrated. Had good experiences in Port Canaveral too, great for Haven, but a little harder/longer to get to from the airport: . Miami was the worst for the Haven experience so much so that anytime we are cruising Haven we will not go back to Miami.

Barcelona hands down.

The others I have embarked at include NYC, Miami, Rome/Civi, LA, and San Antonio-Chile. In Barcelona, the AeroBus to and from the airport is very convenient and inexpensive. Las Ramblas and La Boqueria Market are fun. So much to see and do.

Is the market in Barcelona open on a Sunday?

Venice and Sydney - both easy to get to from the airport and I love the scenic sail in sail out. New York has the Statue of Liberty, but too hectic and both times I cruised out of there embarkation/disembarkation was a nightmare. Same with Miami, especially disembarkation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by karoo

Love NY, because nothing beats a NY vibe and that view when sailing away. Plus, I was expecting more chaos, but embarkation and debarkation were perfectly orchestrated. Had good experiences in Port Canaveral too, great for Haven, but a little harder/longer to get to from the airport: . Miami was the worst for the Haven experience so much so that anytime we are cruising Haven we will not go back to Miami.

Though debarkation from NYC was a nightmare for us and I hated the terminal itself, have to agree, sailing from NYC was a sight to always remember. It was just so all American. We loved that part.