Non Beach at Grand Turk

Giantfan13

We will be in Grand Turk, off the Carnival Pride early Nov from 8AM till 2PM.

We are NOT beach or snorkel people. I have read many of the threads here and it seems as if you don't do either of these things, it's best to stay on the ship. We have never been to this island and would like to see some of it, so any recommendations? We might do the golf cart thing, but is there enough to do for $100, just riding around? Some one mentioned grabbing a taxi and getting a sort of tour of the island, but is that even worthwhile as it is so small.

Is there an shopping, stores, vendors etc. We are both seniors and we really aren't into the 'party' scene, just two old timers looking to see a new place.

Cheers

Len

We were exactly in the same boat...

See my review here - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2638056

Summary, if the weather is decent and the expense doesn't bother you, get a golf cart and take your time and check out the island for a few hours on your first time there, it is a beautiful island. If the weather stinks, stay on the ship (worst case you lose a deposit on a GC if chosen vendor asks for it)

We will be on the Pride in September, with probably a similar itinerary.

Our plan is to walk down to Jack's Shack and see the dogs, maybe get something to eat/drink. (We will also try to do some snorkeling from the beach, but I recognize that isn't your thing.) I think it's about 1/4-1/3 mile walk along the beach.

I think there is some shopping in the port area, plus a few local craft shops "in town." If you have things planned for your other stops, an extra "sea" day by staying on ship isn't bad, but I would still probably check out at least the immediate area for shopping. I would guess that if the mood strikes taxis would be around most of the day if you want to go in town, or just walk a mile or so and walk back if you want.

Is your roll call active? Maybe someone there has good ideas too.

We will be on the Pride in September, with probably a similar itinerary.

Our plan is to walk down to Jack's Shack and see the dogs, maybe get something to eat/drink. (We will also try to do some snorkeling from the beach, but I recognize that isn't your thing.) I think it's about 1/4-1/3 mile walk along the beach.

I think there is some shopping in the port area, plus a few local craft shops "in town." If you have things planned for your other stops, an extra "sea" day by staying on ship isn't bad, but I would still probably check out at least the immediate area for shopping. I would guess that if the mood strikes taxis would be around most of the day if you want to go in town, or just walk a mile or so and walk back if you want.

Is your roll call active? Maybe someone there has good ideas too.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Roll call is pretty dead, but the few who have replied are all beach people and can't wait to get out and snorkel. We have a round trip from Baltimore, probably same as you so we have lot's of sea days. We usually get off the ship and wander around, so, I guess, that will be the plan.

Cheers

Len

We were exactly in the same boat...

See my review here - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2638056

Summary, if the weather is decent and the expense doesn't bother you, get a golf cart and take your time and check out the island for a few hours on your first time there, it is a beautiful island. If the weather stinks, stay on the ship (worst case you lose a deposit on a GC if chosen vendor asks for it)

Great review, thanks so much. Looks like another Caribbean island that I will have no further use for.

Cheers

Len

Great review, thanks so much. Looks like another Caribbean island that I will have no further use for.

Cheers

Len

I can empathize with your frustration over Caribbean beaches, which is BTW, the biggest draw for all these islands. Despite the avatar, I really can't lie in the sun that long and sometime it does appear seen one beach seen them all. But, not to be rude, why cruise in the Caribbean at all? Canadian cruises and Alaskan cruises are available. Most Mediterranean cruises are very port intensive with lots to do. Maybe something to save up for?

But, not to be rude, why cruise in the Caribbean at all? Canadian cruises and Alaskan cruises are available. Most Mediterranean cruises are very port intensive with lots to do. Maybe something to save up for?

I agree. There are many great cruise options other than the Caribbean or where beaches are the primary activity. There is no need to keep repeating similar locations if one has no interest in the options available there. It’s like a vegetarian going to the steakhouse every week and complaining there is nothing they can eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the suggestions.

Roll call is pretty dead, but the few who have replied are all beach people and can't wait to get out and snorkel. We have a round trip from Baltimore, probably same as you so we have lot's of sea days. We usually get off the ship and wander around, so, I guess, that will be the plan.

Cheers

Len

My roll call is pretty dead too. Another thought is to check trip advisor and see if something shows there.

I second the suggestion for a Canada/NE cruise. Our first cruise was to Saint John (figured less chance of hurricane in August going north) and last fall we did another cruise to Saint John and Halifax. Beautiful scenery and people, lots of history and other "non-beach" options.

There are some ports that have a lot more than beaches, Grand Turk is not one of them. On our last cruise we had no problem finding stuff to do in every port except GT without beaches (and barely scratched the surface in San Juan). Sometimes you just have to accept that one port is been there done that (like Boston on a CANE cruise - I have been there SO many times before I cruised there's nothing to see)

I agree. There are many great cruise options other than the Caribbean or where beaches are the primary activity. There is no need to keep repeating similar locations if one has no interest in the options available there. It’s like a vegetarian going to the steakhouse every week and complaining there is nothing they can eat.

In answer to the questions about crusing the Caribbean. YES, we are all Caribbeaned out, if that is a decent way of putting it. We have seen just about every island that they have to offer, several times over. And in the great scheme of things, they all are about the same.

The ONLY reason we have booked this cruise with Carnival is that we had a cruise credit that has been sitting for a while now and was ready to expire. We are from NY and Carnival doesn't cruise out of NY now, so we settled for Baltimore as we really don't like flying. So, add up, no flying, using up cruise credit and we needed a cruise in the fall, we had to settle for the Pride and it's few stops in the Caribbean. We have never been to Grand Turk, so we figured we might as well see it.

We have done 2 Alaska cruises, 2 Canadian cruise and we are now booked on a Mediterranean and TA in December. Unless we can find some fantastic deal on another Caribbean one, we probably won't be back.

On a side note, my DW, because we don't beach etc. keeps their economy going by being force to shop and spend our money there. :D:D:D.

Cheers

Len

OK, having said my piece, we googled things to do on grand Turk and came up with a sting ray encounter at some beach off Grand Turk. We have done a sting ray thing in grand Cayman and it wasn't too bad. Does anyone know anything about something like this. Carnival offers this for about $55PP, sting ray and snorkel for 3 hours. Doesn't sound too bad especially if we can find a shady spot on this beach to just sit and have a Pina colada or something like that.

Anyone done anything like this or even know about it?

Cheers

Len

OK, having said my piece, we googled things to do on grand Turk and came up with a sting ray encounter at some beach off Grand Turk. We have done a sting ray thing in grand Cayman and it wasn't too bad. Does anyone know anything about something like this. Carnival offers this for about $55PP, sting ray and snorkel for 3 hours. Doesn't sound too bad especially if we can find a shady spot on this beach to just sit and have a Pina colada or something like that.

Cheers

Len

I haven't done this, but the two reviews were favorable. Based on the pictures though, it looked like it might be crowded (a common complaint about cruise line excursions).

The "Taste of Grand Turk & Beach Getaway" for $60pp also looked like something you and your wife might enjoy.

I looked at your pictures in your signature, and it seems like you are both fit. If you just want to "get off the boat and see something" but not spend much, there is a shipwreck down the beach that looks like a reasonable walk. From what I can see on Google Maps it looks like you would walk the beach to Jacks, then catch the road to finish walking to the ship wreck.

Whatever you decide I hope you have a fun time. As your tag line says - there are no bad cruises:cool:

Cheers

Len

Not positive if the same, but there is a thread in this forum for Gibbs Cay Stingray

Not positive if the same, but there is a thread in this forum for Gibbs Cay Stingray

That is the area where they go for stingrays. on the eastern side of the island. But this is NOT the same thing as StingRay City in GC where they let you touch and try to hold them.

Cheers

Len

This sounds like Gibbs Cay. It is not the same experience as Grand Cayman. The sting rays were much smaller and maybe only 6-8 of them the day we were there as part of a longer excursion that included snorkeling. If it is Gibbs Cay, there were no chairs, umbrellas, shade or bars / restaurants there, just a beach, in the area we went to. It’s possible there is another side to Gibbs Cay that we did not see that has chairs, umbrellas and bars or they could take you to another beach after visiting Gibbs Cay.

I haven't done this, but the two reviews were favorable. Based on the pictures though, it looked like it might be crowded (a common complaint about cruise line excursions).

The "Taste of Grand Turk & Beach Getaway" for $60pp also looked like something you and your wife might enjoy.

I looked at your pictures in your signature, and it seems like you are both fit. If you just want to "get off the boat and see something" but not spend much, there is a shipwreck down the beach that looks like a reasonable walk. From what I can see on Google Maps it looks like you would walk the beach to Jacks, then catch the road to finish walking to the ship wreck.

Whatever you decide I hope you have a fun time. As your tag line says - there are no bad cruises:cool:

Ha, I had to laugh. I also relooked at them. Boy was I slimmer then. LOL

Really, I am 72 and use a cane while on the ship, more for balance than anything else, but we do enjoy walking and that might be of interest.

As for the being in shape part, with a few sea days first and nothing to do but eat, that 'shape; may be a bit ' deceiving'. :D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len