Sydney Airport to Downtown and Cruise port

TERRIER1

The ferry stop at pry not is a commuter loop and yes it stop at Milton's point etc

To go to manly or the zoo it would be ferry to circular quay. Change wharf. (Exit and walk along the waterfront) then another ferry to the destination. I know when I've done this trip the manly ferry comes in just a bit too late to connect to the service you want and vice versa.

They play with time tables so this may not be the case while you are there.

I've seen the hotel and it looks excellent

Consider getting a my multi ticket for transport as it will also let you use the light rail/trains/buses. The day ticket will be cheaper than buying separate tickets for the ferries

Thanks again MrsWaldo.

Well we've decided to hold on to the 1888 reservation for now, but I've also booked the Menzies on the other side of the harbour

Same price range and looks to be more centrally located near bus and train stations.

If you don't mind, could you recommend what to do and see in the Menzies Hotel area? We've been poring through Frommer's Sydney, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for your help :).

Menzies is a good location.

5-7 minutes walk and you are in The Rocks (historic area), Observatory Hill Circular Quay for the ferries, across town in 10 minutes you end up in Macquarie St and the Domain top end of the Botanic Gardens or you can walk across CQ, through the gardens and back to the hotel through Martin Place. Art Gallery can be on that route (indigenous art)

5-7 minutes to the South is the shopping zone, Queen Victoria Building, Pitt St Mall etc. Food court at top of westfield has both nice dining and less formal options (levels 5 and 6)

The area around the hotel is fairly quiet by night, lots of offices etc. but not too different to 1888

• 2 weeks later...

We looked into the 1888 as well.....also had a booking at the City Hotel Enterprise and now have a booking at the Hotel Coronation. It gets good reviews seems to be in a good location and is very inexpensive....anyone know anything about it? I know there is a bar on the lower levels and there could be noise from that but we are only staying one night so not too worried about that. Just looking for clean mainly.

Thanks again MrsWaldo.

Well we've decided to hold on to the 1888 reservation for now, but I've also booked the Menzies on the other side of the harbour

Same price range and looks to be more centrally located near bus and train stations.

If you don't mind, could you recommend what to do and see in the Menzies Hotel area? We've been poring through Frommer's Sydney, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for your help :).

Just an update on the area around the 1888 hotel. The Sydney Exhibition and Convention centre is currently being pulled down so there is a lot of construction work and noise coming from the western side of Darling Harbour in the vicinity of the Harbourside shops. The main affect on 1888 is access to Darling Harbour as the overbridge has been removed. This means you would need to walk up Murray St towards the Pyrmont Bridge for pedestrian access into Sydney downtown.

This would also affect the nearby hotels such as The Novatel.

Menzies may be better, especially if you are cruising from the Overseas Passenger Terminal and also if you are going to use the ferries.

Hugh

We looked into the 1888 as well.....also had a booking at the City Hotel Enterprise and now have a booking at the Hotel Coronation. It gets good reviews seems to be in a good location and is very inexpensive....anyone know anything about it? I know there is a bar on the lower levels and there could be noise from that but we are only staying one night so not too worried about that. Just looking for clean mainly.

Have not stayed there but do know where it is. Not a typical International Hotel. Location certainly is very central. Park St at that location is very very busy as it is one of the main cross roads in the city and joins to probably the busiest intersection in town. However, as said, very centrally located with all conveniences very close by and you would experience the hustle and bustle of busy Sydney. Certainly not touristy but realistic. Could be noisy at night from the bar but i dont know what the night life is like as i dont frequent the city at night.

Looks like boutique accommodation in what we term as a pub. Price is good.

The ferry stop at pry not is a commuter loop and yes it stop at Milton's point etc

To go to manly or the zoo it would be ferry to circular quay. Change wharf. (Exit and walk along the waterfront) then another ferry to the destination. I know when I've done this trip the manly ferry comes in just a bit too late to connect to the service you want and vice versa.

They play with time tables so this may not be the case while you are there.

I've seen the hotel and it looks excellent

Consider getting a my multi ticket for transport as it will also let you use the light rail/trains/buses. The day ticket will be cheaper than buying separate tickets for the ferries

We just returned from 6 days in Sydney and found a weekly my multi 3 pass to be incredible value. We used it to visit the Blue Mountains as well as Kiama on the south coast by train, along with hopping off and busses and ferrys to visit all the usual visitor favourites like Bondi, Watson's Bay, Manly, the old quarantine station, etc. It was impressive how quickly and easily we could get around to cover a great deal of territory in so little time.

Please excuse any errors - I have slept only 2 hours out of the last 48. :)