Noro and canceling a cruise???

titansluvr

we have Princess cruise insurance. If we know the ship we are sailing on next week (regal) is being treated for Noro, can we cancel for that reason ?

I am currently on the Regal. The captain has communicated that 20 individuals who took the same Jamaican tour have been affected. That is a small number out of possible 3500 passengers. The ship will be sanitized after this cruise, most likely resulting in some small delay to your boarding process. Personally I would not consider cancelling for this reason.

I believe that if you have Princess ins. And you have a cancel for any reason in your policy you can cancel. But I think you only get 75% back/ towards another cruise.

Can some one else confirm this please?

PS

The info is on page 4 of the Protection Plan.

Edited by geocruiser

I believe that if you have Princess ins. And you have a cancel for any reason in your policy you can cancel. But I think you only get 75% back/ towards another cruise.

Can some one else confirm this please?

PS

The info is on page 4 of the Protection Plan.

Depends on which of the two plans you took out

Special cruise vacation protection

cancellation enhancement

Vacation Protection “Any Reason”

Cruise Credits...................Up to 75% of the non-refundable

prepaid cruise vacation cost

Platinum Vacation Protection “Any Reason”

Cruise Credits...................Up to 100% of the non-refundable

prepaid cruise vacation cost

So yes you can cancel but will not receive any money just a cruise credit.

You dont have to cancel - just use common sense precautions that are discussed all over this board. I have been on the Ruby twice after seriously big outbreaks of Noro and did not got infected. It sounds like a very small outbreak - probably something that they caught in the port and brought to the ship but reading the live thread the Captain has taken great care to keep it from spreading.

It has long been suspected (by the CDC) that most Noro outbreaks on cruise ships are carried aboard by passengers....who likely have contracted the virus on a commercial plane (a very dirty place) or in airports. The fact that a ship has an outbreak does not necessarily carry through to the next cruise as the crew goes to extraordinary lengths to rid the vessel of the virus. We recently took a Celebrity cruise (21 days) on a ship that had just suffered a major Noro outbreak. This delayed boarding about an hour which gave the crew a little more time to scour the ship (which they had been doing for several days)...and allowed the USPHS folks to do an extra inspection. The result was that on our 21 day cruise there was no Noro problem.

But folks can do a lot to protect themselves by simply using some common sense. Wash your hands, often, with soap and water...and avoid touching your face (especially around the mouth, nose and eyes) with your hands. We started cruising in the mid 70s and have spent far more than 1000 days on cruise ships. During that time we have never contracted Noro (on a cruise) by using simple common sense. On the other hand, we have gotten more then our share of respiratory ailments (some like to call it cabin cough) which is harder to avoid since its airborne. Speaking of cabin cough, we have even avoided that on our past few cruises which we partially attribute to avoiding elevators (whenever practical) and trying to keep our distance from folks who are coughing and sneezing :).

Hank

After a deep cleaning, the ship is more sanitized that before passengers got sick. You are more likely to get Noro pushing a supermarket basket, taking a taxi or public transportation, or being in a room full of people at home than you are on a ship. Noro is everywhere. You can certainly cancel your cruise but then should stay home, indoors, because you may get Noro anywhere you go outside your home.

Common precautions to significantly reduce the chance of coming down with Noro are to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water, do not touch your face or your mouth or the food you eat without washing your hands first, avoid as much as possible touching stairway railings, use only the bathroom in your stateroom--do not use the public restrooms.

So suppose you cancel the cruise and get the flu at home, or you happen to go through O'hare airport and come into contact with measles (two cases reported through there in the last two days) is that justification for changing your plans every time something happens. We actually have no idea what is going to happen to us. I just take the best safeguards I can take. I might go out to dinner and contract some disease so should I just stay home all the time? But, if I do that what are the chances that some part of my meal will be infected with something like E-Coli as happened recently in various lettuce products and some ice creams. The only thing we can do is use common sense and precaution. I booked my Feb 25 cruise on the Regal in early September and have not had a good vacation trip in two years, I would not be happy if there was an outbreak onboard the week before I sailed, but I would follow my own advice and still cruise. But, that is just me and good luck whatever you decide.

My 2 cents worth, I would not cancel. As someone above said, use common sense. I avoid the buffet, wash my hands every chance I get and use hand sanitizer with a high alcohol content. I never contracted anything on a cruise ship. That being said, I have gotten off the ship stayed in Fl a day or 2 then fly home. Last year I picked up a nasty respiratory virus 3rd day I was home and year before that, flu a few days after I was home. I don't believe I picked either up on the ship due to the time in between. So Pam in CA is absolutely correct, you can pick something up anywhere, anytime.

I remember about 17 years ago that we got a call from Princess a few days prior to the cruise informing us that the cruise had NORO on it and if we wanted to cancel we could. Our young son was traveling with us and we called his doctor and he said "ship will be the cleanest it has been in a long time". Wash hands and go and have a good time.

We knew the ship was to be delayed for cleaning until doubt 1 pm but it turned out to be about 6 pm. No worries we just stayed at the hotel a little longer.

Got on board and everything was clean. In the buffet we were not allowed to touch anything which was fine by me. Washed hands and all was okay. Had a great cruise!

I would go and have a great time.

But folks can do a lot to protect themselves by simply using some common sense. Wash your hands, often, with soap and water...and avoid touching your face (especially around the mouth, nose and eyes) with your hands. We started cruising in the mid 70s and have spent far more than 1000 days on cruise ships. During that time we have never contracted Noro (on a cruise) by using simple common sense. On the other hand, we have gotten more then our share of respiratory ailments (some like to call it cabin cough) which is harder to avoid since its airborne. Speaking of cabin cough, we have even avoided that on our past few cruises which we partially attribute to avoiding elevators (whenever practical) and trying to keep our distance from folks who are coughing and sneezing :).

Hank

Hank

We rarely use the elevator, mostly because as a family we are a little impatient and find that it is quicker to use the stairs (without touching the handrail!!)). I have never attributed that to having never caught anything from the cruise - but it is a good point.

Perhaps the OP should also consider canceling any cruise that goes to a part of the world with Zika, Chickunguna, Dengue Fever, Malaria, etc. These are all a risk and can have far worse consequences than Norovirus. By the way, Noro is the most common cause of GI problems in the US with over 20 million cases (annually). Most of these do not happen on cruise ships and are picked up in restaurants, bars, offices and just about any place where there are people. But unlike cruise ships, there is no mandatory reporting of Noro on land...and its nearly impossible to identify where one would get such a virus. In fact, you might have Norovirus lurking on your steering wheel in your car. So perhaps the OP needs to barricade them self in a sealed home environment, have all food delivered (and put through a high radiation machine before entering the house), etc.

Hank

Last fall we sailed on a ship that had a terrible outbreak of the Noro on the cruise prior to our getting on. They did a deep clean of the ship and delayed boarding and sailing and we could not get into rooms until after 3PM. No new cases turned up and we were on her for 18 days.

Perhaps the OP should also consider canceling any cruise that goes to a part of the world with Zika, Chickunguna, Dengue Fever, Malaria, etc. These are all a risk and can have far worse consequences than Norovirus. By the way, Noro is the most common cause of GI problems in the US with over 20 million cases (annually). Most of these do not happen on cruise ships and are picked up in restaurants, bars, offices and just about any place where there are people. But unlike cruise ships, there is no mandatory reporting of Noro on land...and its nearly impossible to identify where one would get such a virus. In fact, you might have Norovirus lurking on your steering wheel in your car. So perhaps the OP needs to barricade them self in a sealed home environment, have all food delivered (and put through a high radiation machine before entering the house), etc.

Hank[/quo

Hank[/quo

You get Noro just about anywhere. There is a popular Mexican restaurant here that 524 customers got Noro at in the last 3 weeks. So why would you even consider canceling your cruise. Just wash your hands a lot try to not touch anything questionable and you should be fine. We've been on cruises with a code red outbreak of Noro and we never had any problems.

Hank[/quo

Hank...didnt ask for your smart a** reply...just asked a question about insurance