European Sim Cards

The Wood Duck

We will be cruising the Mediterranean this Sept for 25 days, Can someone recommend the best prepaid SIM (data/phone) that will work in Spain Italy and Greece. Looking for 10 to 12 gig with international talk/text. I have a GSM capable phone, however, my current provider does not offer international service. We will be departing from Rome.

Try gif gaf in the UK. As I said it doesn’t matter what EU country supplies the sim as data and local calls will be the same. I used to use Skype to go, it will issue with a local number to dial thrumto Canada etc, cost about a penny/ cent a minute. Try the uswitch.com website to compare.

We went to Vodafone in Barcelona last year and got a SIM with 20Gb, valid for a month, for 20 Euros. The only place it didn't work was in Kotor. I'm not sure about phone though. We never use that when travelling.

Hopefully you will be able to find a service provider in Rome without too much trouble. Take your passport with you, we had to produce ours to get the SIM.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We stopped at a 'local' phone store in Europe, paid for a 30 day sim card for each unlocked iPhone, they installed the sims, checked to make sure everything worked, put our original sims in a small package for us to keep, and we were on our way in just a few minutes.

We did have to show our passports as proof of ID first. It was so nice to be able to text, use maps to get around, etc.

If you purchase a SIM card in one European country it will be ok to make calls and texts (SMS) within Europe to European landlines or mobiles. To call USA or Canada you will need an International 'Add on'. ie extra charge.

Also be aware that the data allowance that you purchase will only be partially available in another European country.

As an example - my Irish mobile contract is for unlimited calls to Irish phones, unlimited SMS to Irish phones, 100 minutes International calls, 100 international SMS and 30Gb data per month. I am currently in Spain and I can continue to call and text Irish numbers. But if I call our son in Vancouver, then that call will not be covered and I will have to pay extra. Also I can only use 9Gb of my data when in Spain (or other Euro country, on a cumulative basis during my billing month.)

It is complicated! Just be certain of what you need when you purchase sim card.

I want to thank everyone for their time and assistance. The info provided has helped my research on this matter. I only need the international call for texting back home and for emergency contact. I hope to use my phone as a hotspot for my wife and I while cruising (in port).

We just got one SIM which we put in DH's phone, then he used his phone as a hotspot for my phone to connect to. It worked very well.

You might want to consider using one of the internet apps for contacting home ie Whatsapp, Messenger, rather than texting.

At least for US people, you can get a T-mobile, no contract account. Cancel when you get back. Do not get a pre-paid with them, as it does not have the international access.

But T-mobile gives unlimited texting and data, and 20 cent per minute calling in over 140 countries.

Although not Princess-related, did you try the staples Canada website and check the options out there?

Chrysalis - hoping to confirm your reservation of 2 spots on the Patrick Bora Bora excursion. Please contact me. valbob89

Any pay as you go sim from Europe will work in any European country. So it doesn’t really matter, as long as your phone is unlocked.

Not true. A sim from a EU country (let's say Sweden) will have the same rules and price per minute in any other EU country (let's say Spain). But not in every European country.