Latest news on Kilauea volcano

BarbinMich

Here's the latest map from US Geological Survery of the lava flow: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/maps_uploads/image-527.jpg. The lava is now entering the ocean over a much wider area than a week or so ago. And the land mass of the island has noticeably expanded (more than 1/2 mile at the northern end of the flow area).

Is the POA currently going around the south side of the Big Island, past the area of lava entry into the ocean, as it transits from Hilo to Kona, or is she going around the north side of the Island?

We were on the June 23rd sailing, and we did sail past the lava flow. It was a little far but still pretty awesome.

I just got off the POA today. We went south of Hilo to the lava flow, floated by and then turned and went north to Kona. It was an absolutely amazing experience. Bucket list item, actually. You could see the glow for about an hour before we got there and several hours after we left. They had a commentary about the lava flow and you could see the lava river. You could also see lots of small areas along the coast where the lava was entering the water. Between the lava and the Napali coast in Kauai (and everything else) it was an amazingly cruise.

I just got off the POA today. We went south of Hilo to the lava flow, floated by and then turned and went north to Kona. It was an absolutely amazing experience. Bucket list item, actually. You could see the glow for about an hour before we got there and several hours after we left. They had a commentary about the lava flow and you could see the lava river. You could also see lots of small areas along the coast where the lava was entering the water. Between the lava and the Napali coast in Kauai (and everything else) it was an amazingly cruise.

We will be on the 9/1 sailing. My first time in Hawaii. I am ecstatic to see this!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am SO hoping to see this too. Thank you for the post.

If you want to see what the volcano is doing, there are of plenty of videos online, mostly from a birds-eye view. However, I saw one today (and now I can't find it, sorry) where the videographer and the commentator were on the ground in the Leilani Estates area. It is so devastating, especially for the many who have lost their homes. From a ship all you will see is a red glow, not the horrific destruction that is happening at ground zero. This is a very sad occurrence for all involved, not what I would call a "sightseeing opportunity" although I totally understand the instinct, having chased a few fire engines in my life. These kind of eruptions are nothing new, just the most dramatic one in my lifetime (70+). And this is the long history of the Big Island, at least its southeast corner. In past years we "enjoyed" walking on ancient lava in the area now suffering from the new lava flow. I don't think I would ever enjoy that again.