Scattering Ashes at Sea

shofer

My plan was to have my ashes scattered at my favorite golf course, but alas, they are converting it to houses.

I then asked my DW to have me scattered at sea (I subsequently learned that you need a biodegradeable urn as described here). She agreed instantly, and said that she and her new husband would take care of it. COLD :(

True story; we still laugh about it every cruise.

• 4 months later...
TSA opened and visually inspected the contents of the urn (made for scattering). They said they had to make sure it wasn’t something else that the scanner couldn’t differentiate. It was stressful, but they were considerate and respectful.

Chartered a sailboat for a sunset cruise/scattering off of St Johns. It was what DH wanted.

INteresting

I was just starting planning re my late parents and came across this

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/cremated-remains

We understand how painful losing a loved one is and we treat crematory remains with respect. Some airlines do not allow cremated remains in checked bags, so please check with your airline to learn more about possible restrictions.

To facilitate screening, we suggest that you purchase a temporary or permanent crematory container made of a lighter weight material, such as wood or plastic. If the container is made of a material that generates an opaque image, TSA officers will not be able to clearly determine what is inside the container and the container will not be allowed. Out of respect for the deceased, TSA officers will not open a container, even if requested by the passenger.

A few years ago we were on a Holland America cruise and a friend wanted to scatter his partner's ashes (according to his wishes, a man that loved seeing the world by sea as he was unable to fly).

It was arranged pre-cuise with Ship Services and we were told that the captain would decide when and where (it has to be in international waters).

It happened on the last day at sea and they arranged for it to happen on the aft deck below the dining rooms where the mooring ropes are handled from. And we literally scattered his ashes, no container thrown overboard, just flowers. There was no blow back. ;) Unfortunately nobody thought of how we could clean our hands afterwards!

They did an amazing job making it a dignified, memorable event.

A few years ago we were on a Holland America cruise and a friend wanted to scatter his partner's ashes (according to his wishes, a man that loved seeing the world by sea as he was unable to fly).

It was arranged pre-cuise with Ship Services and we were told that the captain would decide when and where (it has to be in international waters).

It happened on the last day at sea and they arranged for it to happen on the aft deck below the dining rooms where the mooring ropes are handled from. And we literally scattered his ashes, no container thrown overboard, just flowers. There was no blow back. ;) Unfortunately nobody thought of how we could clean our hands afterwards!

They did an amazing job making it a dignified, memorable event.

I still do not GET the "scattering" and the "blow back." My brother was cremated in Chicago four years ago and we put his ashes in Lake Michigan. The crematorium gave us his ashes in a beautiful fiberboard box that would completely dissolve in water after about 30 minutes. When we went to put his remains where he had asked, we just set (or tossed if on a cruise ship) the fiberboard, dissolvable box into the water. It sinks and dissolves. Simple, no muss. I thought all good mortuaries and crematories did this.

Jim

From what I have been able to find (and I have looked into this previously) your information is incorrect

https://www.scattering-ashes.co.uk/help-advice/law/

I have prosecuted / defended pollution matters in England and Wales ( including water pollution) for over 30 years, lectured and taught Environmental Law in the UK, in Europe and In Commonwealth countries around the world. I’m relatively happy with my advice. In England this specific matter is not enforced - the regulator in England has published an enforcement position ~ meet the terms of that position, no issue. Don’t, and you will not have the enforcement position to rely on a technically could face legal action, albeit unlikely.

It’s little different to a Police Authority that might take an enforcement position / laid back approach to a specific piece of legislation - legislation exists but they choose to not to enforce it in some circumstances - for example, you are not usually penalised for being 1 mph over the speed limit, the police might have the photographic evidence but take a position not to generally enforce the law in those circumstances.

Edited by DYKWIA

I still do not GET the "scattering" and the "blow back."

I have no issues with scatter vs in an urn; it may have been our friends' wishes.

When scattering it, there is always a chance the wind may carry some. ;)

It is illegal to throw anything overboard, without permission. In my experience, the crematorium usually places the ashes in a plastic bag and then in a temporary container - either plastic or cardboard.