Pride of America - Kona

Betsypaige

So NCL is offering this excursion at Kona:

Merriman's Culinary Farm Experience

Go behind the scenes of Hawaii’s regional cuisine on this uniqueguided tour which takes you to two farms in the north part of the Big Islandincluding lunch featuring fresh ingredients from the Hawaii Island. Visit KahuaRanch, a sprawling family owned working cattle and sheep ranch in mountainsabove Waimea. Take in stunning views of the Kona and Kohala Coast from 3,000foot elevation as you learn about the history of cattle ranching and cowboyculture in Hawaii. You will also visit another local family-owned farm whereorganic produce is grown for our local restaurants. We then return toaward-winning Merriman’s Restaurant in Waimea for a special three-course lunchprepared by chefs using the products and produce from our islands local farms.A culinary tour experience for all the senses!

It's fantastic because it would give me a chance to see moreof the Big Island while learning about Hawaii's unique cowboy culture. Plus,and this is not the least of it, I'd get to have a fantastic meal - aftervisiting a farm.

I'm torn because I was planning to book a snorkeling/swimwith dolphins tour with Kona Ocean Adventures….and now I’m not sure which Ishould do. I’ve read that thatMerriman’s is one of the best restaurants in Hawaii – so that’s a huge point infavor of the tour. On the other hand, I love to be out on the water -and I never get to do that, which is why I’mtrying to do that as often as I can on my trip. Of course I realize that ultimately only I can decide, but does anyonehave any thoughts?

Thank you!

It's illegal to approach dolphins in the wild in Hawaii. So, it makes it a no-brainer to go with the Merriman's tour.

They have another tour as well that doesn’t involve swimming with dolphins - Kealakekua/Captain Cook snorkel excursion...but I think that Bay is considered off-limits because even just being there disturbs the dolphins?

Edited by Betsypaige

Do heed the previous post from "boulders". To quote a travel website:

"But swimming with dolphins in the wild is illegal. Humans and vessels have to maintain a distance of at least 50 yards. (It’s not illegal for dolphins to approach you, but it is against the law to approach, chase, surround, touch or swim with them."

Do heed the previous post from "boulders". To quote a travel website:

"But swimming with dolphins in the wild is illegal. Humans and vessels have to maintain a distance of at least 50 yards. (It’s not illegal for dolphins to approach you, but it is against the law to approach, chase, surround, touch or swim with them."

Oh I will - not just because it’s illegal, but because it’s wrong. Do you think I should just avoid Kealakekeua Bay period ? That seems to be where most of the tours seem to go (but I’ll not chase dolphins - I feel guilty for even considering it) on any island.

Merely as a "by the way..." as you are probably in shape, we are old enough to read all disclaimers carefully. What caught our eye was the part about walking "short distances up to 1 mile on uneven terrain and short climbs". Doing one mile on uneven terrain with short climbs is not our idea of fun on vacation. YMMV.

This from NCL:

Note: Guests on this tour should not be physically challenged or unable to walk short distances up to 1 mile on uneven terrain and short climbs.

Do remember that Peter Merriman has a restaurant in Kapalua and a new one, we believe, in Honolulu too.

Merely as a "by the way..." as you are probably in shape, we are old enough to read all disclaimers carefully. What caught our eye was the part about walking "short distances up to 1 mile on uneven terrain and short climbs". Doing one mile on uneven terrain with short climbs is not our idea of fun on vacation. YMMV.

This from NCL:

Note: Guests on this tour should not be physically challenged or unable to walk short distances up to 1 mile on uneven terrain and short climbs.

Do remember that Peter Merriman has a restaurant in Kapalua and a new one, we believe, in Honolulu too.

LOL OOPS - I didn't even see that - I guess I just skipped over it. Yeah - that's not my idea of a vacation either - especially since I'm not in the best of shape. Thank you SOO much for pointing that out!

Yes, he does - and I meant to mention that previously; I Googled the restaurant to read more about it and I was surprised to read that he'd opened a place in Honolulu. Well, that makes my decision a lot easier, lol - thanks again. I can't believe I missed that!