How does the free internet perk work?

cpl100

If you got the Unlimited Wifi as one of your perks. Each of you will receive a free internet account. You simply logon when on the ship and provide Portfolio Number (on key card) and create a username and 4 digit passcode.

You can stay connected 24 hours a day. The speed is relatively slow - like your old dial up modem speed.

You will get a code when you check-in for the cruise - then you will setup your internet account once on board and enter the code - it is unique per person - you can only have 1 device logged on at a time per user account with the perk

If you got the Unlimited Wifi as one of your perks. Each of you will receive a free internet account. You simply logon when on the ship and provide Portfolio Number (on key card) and create a username and 4 digit passcode.

You can stay connected 24 hours a day. The speed is relatively slow - like your old dial up modem speed.

Geez… I never got 20mbs on dialup. It can be slow some times during the day, like just before dinner time, but it is fast enough for Netflix, for example. I watched the NHL Stanley Cup games while going Transatlantic last spring. I was able to download a dvd image file - 4.5 gB in less than a hour. So, calling it dialup modem speed is not an accurate characterization.

Geez… I never got 20mbs on dialup. It can be slow some times during the day, like just before dinner time, but it is fast enough for Netflix, for example. I watched the NHL Stanley Cup games while going Transatlantic last spring. I was able to download a dvd image file - 4.5 gB in less than a hour. So, calling it dialup modem speed is not an accurate characterization.

Dial-up----Sure was an accurate description on our cruise. Day and night. People could not download pictures/attachments. It timed out trying to sign on to get mail. A frequent comment was. " I am glad I did not pay for this". Very slow and like the dial-up days.

It’s 7:45am just arriving Rostock Germany on the eclipse. I just ran a speed test

Ping time 887ms

Download .99 mbps

Upload .47 mbps

Yes, those are Decimals.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I sail Celebrity frequently, always buy internet, and never, ever had good enough speed to watch anything live, Netflix or whatever. On our last cruise to Alaska the internet was absolutely horrible - the worst yet. Couldn't even video call like I normally do. I would definitely liken it to dial-up!

It may depend on where you are (in the world) and where your cabin is. There are wifi signal boosters (or whatever the correct technical term is) located at various places around the ship apparently (one of the crew explained this to us). If you lucked out and have a cabin next to one, perhaps the reception is better. I have never been so lucky.

Thanks. Can I switch from my phone to laptop, etc. as long as I use only one at a time? Appreciate the help.

When you login to a different device, the system will ask if you want to logout of the other device, and if you agree, the system will do it automatically. I was switching between three devices with absolutely no problem.

Our speed was slow, but not as painful as some times in the past. I was working with a few large files, which downloaded without problem, but after working on them, the system didn't like me uploading.emailing them. Oh well, it is satellite based in the middle of the ocean.

And, I doubt the perk was free :).

all of the above are true but I just got off Eclipse British Isles and our included unlimited wifi perk was for both DH and me using separate devices at the same time. We each had our own sign in code, password and account #. Only complaint I had was the terrible time I had signing in every darn day! I became recognizable to the I-tech guys and even they couldn't figure out what was going on. I was using my Samsung phone and DH was using his Kindle Fire. He had no trouble signing in.