Help Planning Kagoshima Tour

MarcyLondon

Need advice with planning our day in the port of Kagoshima. I am torn between two tours, one seeing the Sakurajima volcano and the Sengan-en Garden along with the Shoko Shuseikan Museum OR Chiran and Kamikaze Museum. I would really like to see the Samurai houses. That would be so totally different from anything else on our Japanese Cruise. Are they definitely worth seeing?

Any help would be greatly received from previous cruisers

Thanks in advance

Marcia

• 3 weeks later...

We took the tour that went to the Samurai houses while on Oceania. Didn’t think much of the tour. It was a long drive, we saw a few unimpressive gardens, the samurai houses were ingenious it how the shoji doors folded up to open entirely to the outside. If enough time to see Sakurajima the next time we visit Kagoshima, we’ll do that instead.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did both tours - for me the volcano, gardens and museum was more fun. We did the Chiran/Kamikazi museum and I was a little disappointed with Chiran but then I wasn't sure what I expected ~ however, the Kamizaki museum was interesting.

The volcano is no big deal because I have one on Hawaii island but the gardens was interesting and had shops and a museum of Kagoshima/area as well all included in our tour stop. The museum was interesting because it was on the way back to the ship in a small area - you had hands on activity, ice cream and local shops nearby, koi in the pond in the front and the area was more residentialish.

If I had to pay to do one again, my choice would be the volcano, gardens and museum. I didn't get enough time to do the gardens area.