Safe Parking close to Poland Avenue Wharf?

thisissandy

Don't think it is covered...

http://www.portno.com/cruise_directions.htm

Poland Ave. Cruise Facility From the west, take I-10 east to New Orleans, veer left onto I-610, go to Elysian Fields exit. At base of ramp turn right onto Elysian Fields. From the east, take I-10 west and exit at Elysian Fields. At base of ramp continue straight on Elysian Fields. Once on Elysian Fields, go approximately one mile to Rampart St. Go one block further, and make U-turn back to Rampart St., then turn right. Go approximately two miles on Rampart (the name changes to St. Claude Ave.) to Poland Avenue (do not cross bridge) and turn right. Go five blocks to dead end and turn right on Chartres St. Go over the railroad tracks and turn left up ramp to Poland Avenue Cruise Facility. Parking is in lot adjacent to terminal. Parking cost $14 per day for conventional vehicle, $28 per day for oversize vehicles. Please have your cruise ticket available as you will need to show them to enter the lot. Lot is secure, lighted and patrolled.

thanks nola. what do you know about the new orleans cruise ship parking (machu picchu) company? we're seriously considering using them since they are a bit cheaper & i think i read somewhere that they are covered. i really wish there was a shuttle service from baton rouge to the terminal that didn't cost an arm & leg. :mad:

sandy

I know people who have used Machu Picchu and were very satisfied. What I don't know is if they know about Princess using the Poland Ave facility or it they are planning on running a shuttle there.

It might be worth asking them if they will take you and pick up there.

I think they ask that you pay in cash. I also think it might be easier to find Machu Picchu and for them to drive you to the terminal.

• 2 weeks later...
Could anyone provide an internet address or phone number for the Machu Picchu Parking? Thanks!

We're on the 12/16 Princess sailing and am starting to get concerned about leaving our vehicle.

:eek:

Here you are:

http://nocruiseshipparking.com/index.htm

By Phone:(504)561-9050

By Email:bestofno@bellsouth.net

By Fax:(504)561-9060

By Mail:Machu Picchu Travel Services, Inc

Dept: Cruise Ship Parking

442 Jackson Ave.

New Orleans, LA 70130

Could anyone provide an internet address or phone number for the Machu Picchu Parking? Thanks!

We're on the 12/16 Princess sailing and am starting to get concerned about leaving our vehicle.

:eek:

Just used Machu Picchu on 11/3, was completely satisfied.

Met us at our hotel friday and followed them back to their building to drop the car.

Picked us up sunday at 11:00AM and dropped us at the cruise terminal, and were there waiting for us when we got off the ship.

They accepted a credit card, even though they said they prefer cash.

$20.00 the first day, $12.00 a day for the rest.

They've got a large covered shed type building with a prison like fence around.

Would use them again in a heartbeat.

http://www.machupicchutours.com/

504-561-9050

Is the Port Authority lot at Poland Avenue unsafe? Has anyone used it? Does anyone know of incidents of vandalism or thefts? Or is this just a dangerous neighborhood? Or are some folks being paranoid about this? I would appreciate some feedback from some one who knows the area.

thanks

Is the Port Authority lot at Poland Avenue unsafe? Has anyone used it? Does anyone know of incidents of vandalism or thefts? Or is this just a dangerous neighborhood? Or are some folks being paranoid about this? I would appreciate some feedback from some one who knows the area.

thanks

i don't personally know the area but the following was posted by "fastmedic" on the golden princess 12/16/06 roll call board:

Hello all first let me say New Orleans can be safe if you use common sense don’t go off the main drag of Bourbon St at night stay in a group don’t get so drunk that you can’t function. I was a paramedic for the city for 10 years so I know that you can have a great time in the Big Sleazy if you just think a little.

The parking at the Poland St Warf is not a good idea that area is far from downtown with little in the way of police at night .the 5th district NOPD has lost many officers

In the last year so the 11 pm to 7am shift is very thin. But we should not be there at night so I don’t think that is a problem if you need to park in New Orleans I would park at the airport and cab it to the Warf or park downtown and take a cab. Here are some links to help. Hope ya’ll have a great time.

Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Let The Good Times Roll!:)

http://www.airportparkingreservations.com/cgi-local/customer/user_option.pl?APRCOM_SESS=3a18f2c85c36287111bd08a 086af26f4

http://www.helloneworleans.com/Maps.Cfm?ShowCat=Parking

United Cabs Inc

1627 Polymnia Street

New Orleans, LA 70130

(504) 522-9771

• 2 weeks later...

thanks

It seems that most of them are just being paranoid. as far as I know nothing has happend around the port there lately. I am sure the port authority will have security in the parking area. I worked in this neighborhood for 20 years and never had any problems there. On the otehr hand, a man sitting in his car less than a mile from Machu Picchu was shot yeaterday morning. I guess anything can happen anywhere.

thanks

I wouldn't be walking around the area at night, but the port website states that the parking area is lighted, secured and patrolled - and you have to have your bording information to get into it. I wouldn't have a problem parking there. Probably as safe or safer than some of the hotel parking lots.

Archived