Shoe Advice

Cmdg37

We are going to be in Europe mid October for a River cruise. I have to try and pack lighter then I normally do. I was planning on bringing one pair of heels, ballet flats and running shoes. I was also wanting to bring a pair fashionable style tennis shoes/boat like sperrys or another brand. I can't bring myself to wear running shoes with jeans. Since I'm limited to space can anyone recommend a good color to take. I'm not sure of a lighter color would be a bad choice for the fall. I have a lot of blue and colors that would work with navy but a few black tops as well.

We are going to be in Europe mid October for a River cruise. I have to try and pack lighter then I normally do. I was planning on bringing one pair of heels, ballet flats and running shoes. I was also wanting to bring a pair fashionable style tennis shoes/boat like sperrys or another brand. I can't bring myself to wear running shoes with jeans. Since I'm limited to space can anyone recommend a good color to take. I'm not sure of a lighter color would be a bad choice for the fall. I have a lot of blue and colors that would work with navy but a few black tops as well.

Hi, I went on my first river cruise last year and LOVED IT:)........daytime is very casual......actually, river cruising is quite

a bit more casual ......I do wear black walking shoes with my jeans......as for a good color? Black is always a neutral....

so is something in the "taupe" family....taupe, beige......etc.....in my opinion, you can wear any of those colors anytime of the year.

Hope you have a great cruise:D

What about Converse or Superga? I know some folks don't like them due to lack of support, but I love them. They look nicer, IMHO, than thick/bulky athletic shoes. I'm a person that only wears athletic shoes at the gym, or if I'm hiking or something, but that's me. Everyone is different, obviously.

Converse has a style called "Shoreline" where they are slip on style, but have laces. They're pretty cute, and I have a bunch of colors that I've picked up over the years (white, natural, dark gray, light gray, navy blue, light blue, pink etc). They come out with new fabrics each year (sometimes different styles of laces, trim) - the classic colors (white, natural, black, gray, navy etc) are available all the time. You can get them from a lot of different places...Amazon, Zappos, Kohls, Nordstrom etc I tend to order (at least the first time I'm trying something) from places that have free shipping/free returns, or at least a local store where I can go, to make a return.

I picked up most of my pairs from Kohls, and would get fantastic deals on them w/coupons + site promotions. The past year or so, Kohls added some limitations to some of their coupons on certain brands, unfortunately.

Unlike the Converse All Star style, the shoreline style are not unisex sizing, so you order the size you wear in women's shoes. I actually bought quite a few pairs in "youth/child" sizes...they're cheaper and they're exactly the same. I wear a 6.5 or 7 in women's shoes and I buy the Converse shorelines in either a women's size 7 or a youth/child size 4.

Converse Shoreline at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Converse-Womens-Taylor-Shoreline-Casual/dp/B008L2HCK0/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1505063613&sr=1-1&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=converse+shoreline

Converse Website

https://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pw/n/1j7?sl=shoreline

I also like the Superga Classic Cotu sneakers...I picked up a pair over 10 years ago in Italy, and was so thrilled to see them offered here in the US. They come in many different colors and you can pick them up at a variety of retailers in the US. Banana Republic offered them a few years ago, and their coupons worked on them, so I picked up 4 pairs for a steal at the time.

Superga Classic Cotu

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/superga-cotu-sneaker-women/3284914

Superga Website

https://www.superga-usa.com/thumbnail/WOMENS/CLASSIC/pc/3992/3998.uts

I found both brands of shoes to be very comfortable from the get go...no breaking in needed for me at least.

Have fun on your trip! :)

My choice of shoe colour would be RED.

I love red shoes.

I have several pairs in different styles from different manufacturers. Clarks make a waterproof shoe that is great for spring and fall walking. I have a pair of Rockports that I wear most mornings when walking the dog.

In my opinion, they look good with jeans, navy and black (my basic colour choices).

More important than color etc is if a shoe is waterproof. I wore these on a British Isles cruise and they were great - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RLDYTQA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Typically for Europe I take a flatish dress sandal (can wear with pants or a dress), a waterproof walking shoe, and a pool/slipper shoe.

I'd probably take a pair of Sketcher slip-ons; I think they look at least somewhat better than traditional walking shoes with jeans or leggings. I also like them when flying long distances; not too awful looking and comfy to wear all day or night. If there was a lot of walking, especially on hard or cobbled surfaces I'd still probably wear my regular walking shoes even if they don't look so great.

I like the looks of Converse, but they are just too uncomfortable for me.

Our river cruise was later (it was a Christmas markets cruise at the beg of December) and I brought 3 pairs of shoes that worked out perfectly for me. Soft leather knee high boots (Keens, GREAT thick supportive sole for walking, soft so they FOLD to pack, I spray with silicone water-resistance spray every year and they do great - not for SNOW, really, but great for the river cruise) Goretex walking shoes (I have haglofs, in black because I wear black most days;p) and privo black mary janes. I wore the privos on the ship (for dinner) and for ports where I knew we wouldn't be doing tons of walking. Alternated the boots & walking shoes the rest of the time. I don't wear heels and certainly never felt underdressed without them (I wore the boots with my merino dress most of the time, but could also wear the mary janes).

For some reason, it's much easier for me to pack fewer shoes in cool weather than in warm:p

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at Sperry's that Nordstrom's carries I would go with either their authentic boat shoe in nutmeg. Or I have been looking at their Crest Zone Water Repellent Sneaker in dark grey or dark olive. They are actually a short boot and I think my current Easy Spirit dark brown suede short lace up boots will finally need replaced after a planned staycation next fall to Ireland.

Hoyaheels, I agree. I get by easily with 3 pairs for cool weather vacations but always over pack for even 2 weeks in the Caribbean.

If you look at Sperry's that Nordstrom's carries I would go with either their authentic boat shoe in nutmeg. Or I have been looking at their Crest Zone Water Repellent Sneaker in dark grey or dark olive. They are actually a short boot and I think my current Easy Spirit dark brown suede short lace up boots will finally need replaced after a planned staycation next fall to Ireland.

Hoyaheels, I agree. I get by easily with 3 pairs for cool weather vacations but always over pack for even 2 weeks in the Caribbean. ��

Hi Sue, I bet that is because it is such a lightweight (in terms of material) cruise...you can pack more sandals and they

don't take up as much space;)

I pack fewer shoes in fall/winter for colder climates because my feet don't swell. I have to pack more shoes in summer, hot climates to accommodate the swelling

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I try to pack light, no matter where - so for me, it's a style issue. For whatever reason, I find myself wanting more options in warm weather clothing than cold weather. Size/shape/weight of the shoe doesn't matter; I plan out my packing list & potential outfits before packing. So I don't pack more sandals because they "fit" in my bag, but because they fit in my packing list.....

(I did better in Asia last fall - I think I was able to do 4 prs for 3 weeks...)

• 2 months later...

talking about red shoes!!

I am going on a X mas cruise and I searched high and low for the perfect pair of red pumps and bag. After sending back more than a few I purchased on line I found the most awesome pump, that is just the right height for a ship, while still attractive.I had my heart set on a black lace dress with red pumps for Christmas dinner.. Success

So now I also have a white dress with a blue color block on the sides and sleeves (3/4).

Do you think I can get away with wearing the red pumps again without looking like the flag!!

I cant stand the idea that I can only wear these shoes once on the cruise and they wont go with anything else I am bringing... That, and we are flying Spirit and I will only bring one suitcase so watching my room in the suitcase.

oh good, I am so glad you all agree!

Good point about the new shoes, thought.

I bought a pair of Birkenstock sandles for the trip and have been wearing them around the house the last couple of weeks to mold them to my feet... I think I am going to have to switch this week to the red shoes! Just another reason for my husband to shake his head wondering what on earth is she doing now!!

oh good, I am so glad you all agree!

Good point about the new shoes, thought.

I bought a pair of Birkenstock sandles for the trip and have been wearing them around the house the last couple of weeks to mold them to my feet... I think I am going to have to switch this week to the red shoes! Just another reason for my husband to shake his head wondering what on earth is she doing now!!

Photo of the shoes? Please!

hope you will all find this amusing...

Wearing these shoes around the house with socks to make them comfortable.

Kinda look the the grinch!! Merry X-mas!!

If not I have these Ann kleins that are so cute too... .

Very into red this year!!

Love red shoes. Can never have too many.

Please tell me the lower photo is not accurate. Looks like you have two left shoes [emoji151] [emoji151][emoji33]

Hope you still reading all the replies Cmdg37.

I try to stick to 3 pairs of shoes limit but end up with 5 if you count flipflops/thongs.

Can i ask why you feel you need another pair of shoes and what role are each of the other pairs are playing.

Heels, flats, running shoes AND an athletic pair?

What do you need the athletic shoes for? Is it for general walking around.

If trying to pack lite can any of these shoes double duty. Are heels and ballett flats for evening/dinner? Can you get away with just one pair. Why do you need running shoes? Are you planning on working out if so could you wear the Athletic shoes for that too?

I like naturalizer brand for flats. I find them so comfy and can walk around all day as if wearing running shoes. Some are more casual than others but i chose a pair for work that i can wear out too.

I have a pair of Converse that are similar to the shoreline one but as actually more of a ballett flat. They have fake laces. i love these. They arent bulky so i can wear them with shorts or even casual skirts and dresses. But still look good with cargo pants and jeans. Mine are lite blue and go with alot of my blue clothing as well as my black jeans.

Hope you have luck finding the right pair