P&O Shuttle bus accident

Lunarwolf

There seems to be some confusion that the shuttle bus was provided by the port or whether it was an official one provided by P&O which is provided free of charge for Select and chargeable for Early Saver/Saver fares. If it was the latter then P&O are legally responsible and have a duty of care for their passengers even if the accident was not an employee of theirs and it was an employee of a company that P&O have taken a contract out with.

That would be my view also. Shuttles and tours are always provided by 3rd parties, but if commissioned by P&O for the use of their passengers then P&O assumes liability. Any onward deferment of liability is a matter between P&O (or more likely their insurers) and the 3rd party and should have no bearing on P&O’s ability to resolve the matter with the affected passenger(s).

If, however, the shuttle bus is a general port service available to all and not commissioned specifically by P&O, then I would think that, technically, the liability would most likely fall to the bus operator and not P&O, but I would still be surprised if P&O didn’t want to deal with it promptly and directly.

I think that this experience would have been extremely distressing for anyone, let alone a young child and it is a shame that the OP wasn’t referred to the Customer Service Manager as they are trained to deal with such situations and would, I am convinced, have settled the matter amicably. Unfortunately, it appears that the wrong people were involved (e.g head of security) and the focus was in the wrong direction with the inevitable poor outcome. I fully understand the desire not to let it consume the rest of the holiday as pursuing these things can be very time consuming and wearing, but I do hope that this ends on a happier note.

I think that this experience would have been extremely distressing for anyone, let alone a young child ...

Not necessarily. I was on a Llandudno tram once where the tram roof corner shattered a bus window and mirror, all over a family sitting in the front corner. They didn't appear distressed at all, they seemed happy enough that they weren't hurt but didn't bother making complaints or asking for compensation. They just treated it as one of those things.

Obviously everyone's different. Sang froid isn't given to us all.

Different generation, different responses. My mum was in London when the V1 and V2 flying bombs were around. She, like everyone else just got on with it. She did consider asking Hitler for compensation for the emotional distress, but decided that it wasn't worth the aggravation.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Different generation, different responses. My mum was in London when the V1 and V2 flying bombs were around. She, like everyone else just got on with it. She did consider asking Hitler for compensation for the emotional distress, but decided that it wasn't worth the aggravation.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

What a strange Response. Wowzz.

I bet your mum would have happily sued Hitler if it had been possible, mine would've, we could have used the Money. :rolleyes:

But do you really think the 2 situations are similar or are you just taking a dig at the original poster?

What does seem to be a generational thing is old People droning on about WWII.

This is the 21st century.

This is a Forum about cruising.

Please try to keep up.