has anyone done cruise only - not a package

has anyone else done this if so can I ask you a few questions - I am getting different replies to my queries form different Thomson departments.

Now there's a surprise !!! :rolleyes:

There is a least one helpful expert hereabouts on Thomson cruise only - will be along soon no doubt.

done quite a few over the years,fire away

thanks. In case it makes a difference this is a cruise from Barbados

1. do we just take the booking invoice (booked over the phone and that's all I have been sent it has our cabin number on it). If so do we get luggage tags once we check in at the port.

2. When can be board the ship (asked 3 times each time they say they will pick up at the airport - they will have some job as we land 3 days ahead of their planes lol)

3. What time can I stay on the ship until - 2 different answers so far 1 says 11am the other says we can stay on until 7pm

4. Do we disembark with our own luggage. If not and we do get to stay on the ship is their a chance our luggage will disappear along with the others staying on the ship that have a Thomson flight/ airport transfer included.

Thanks for any help

We have done a couple and are scheduled for another next month (We are not from UK)

We bring our paper work with us. When we have gotten to the ship - there are tables setup to help with check in and they should also have al your info. I don;t recall how it al plays out - but we just seem to talk to them - get our stuff and make our way onboard. Our bags got tagged then and were taken with the rest to be delivered to our cabin.

We plan for boarding to arrive in the same timeframe as the air arriving passengers.

We depart in the same timeframe as the air/cruise passengers. The only difference is you don't have wait around where they might be (for their transfer to be called) - you will just exit and your luggage will be there for pickup and you go on your way,

I really don;t think there is much chance you can stay longer in the ship as they have to clean the suites and get ready for the next guests (or to depart). Either way I don;t think there is any chance of staying after the last of the air/cruise passengers have left.

Have you done one in the from Barbados as there I think the passengers going back to the airport leave the ship between 5pm and 7pm. Also their luggage goes straight to the plane. That's what is sort of worrying me . My luggage going off waiting all day then disappearing either back onto the ship with the incoming guests or on to a plane without us. Also for boarding the incoming guests want arrive until after about 7pm but we will be out of our Hotel in Barbados from 11 am so I am trying to find out when is the earliest we can board.

Haven't sailed from Barbados but always do 'Cruise Only' (about to do our 11th from various departure ports).

The check in desks don't open until the first coach is due to arrive from the airport so check to see what time this will be for you.

We always take our paperwork but have never actually been asked to show it - you may be asked what airport you have flown in from (envelopes containing boarding cards/luggage labels are often grouped as per the flight number) so just tell them that you are independant travellers.

You have to vacate your cabin by 8 a.m. but can stay on board/use all bars and restaurants until you need to leave for the airport or until the final coach leaves if this is earlier; we have often stayed on board until 6.30 p.m..

You will receive your luggage labels a couple of days before the end of your cruise - these are colour coded so the terminal staff will know that you are 'cruise only' passengers and there will be a specified collection point for this (make sure you note clearly on the.labels what time you intend to leave the ship so the staff do not think the cases have been abandoned if yours are the only ones left). Suitcases are collected from outside your cabin around 2 a.m. on your departure morning so keep toiletries etc. in your hand luggage; there is a staff monitored secure area where you can leave hand luggage after vacating your cabin until you are ready to leave the ship.

Hope this makes sense.

thanks. In case it makes a difference this is a cruise from Barbados

1. do we just take the booking invoice (booked over the phone and that's all I have been sent it has our cabin number on it). If so do we get luggage tags once we check in at the port.

2. When can be board the ship (asked 3 times each time they say they will pick up at the airport - they will have some job as we land 3 days ahead of their planes lol)

3. What time can I stay on the ship until - 2 different answers so far 1 says 11am the other says we can stay on until 7pm

4. Do we disembark with our own luggage. If not and we do get to stay on the ship is their a chance our luggage will disappear along with the others staying on the ship that have a Thomson flight/ airport transfer included.

Thanks for any help

never done barbados,so no point in me commenting, only causes confusion.

Thanks every one I have got more info here than in 3 weeks of phone calls and emails (getting passed from one dept to another sometimes with differing answers)

Maybe i can give a bit of input, for arrival time see if you can check through mock bookings online if there is a stay (first) and cruise package, if so i would guess the transfers from their hotels will be earlier in the day than the flights, personally if i could not get any real details i would just turn up at the ship around 1pm, cant see them turning you away, as campolady as already said DONT worry about leaving day, all the arrangements will be in place and you will find out on the ship in good time. one good point with thomsons is they are very flexible with coming and going times.

Maybe i can give a bit of input, for arrival time see if you can check through mock bookings online if there is a stay (first) and cruise package, if so i would guess the transfers from their hotels will be earlier in the day than the flights, personally if i could not get any real details i would just turn up at the ship around 1pm, cant see them turning you away, as campolady as already said DONT worry about leaving day, all the arrangements will be in place and you will find out on the ship in good time. one good point with thomsons is they are very flexible with coming and going times.

There is no stay then cruise that sailing as its the first sailing from Barbados so no flights the week before. I will still aim to be at the port by 1ish anyway. The reason I am bothered about the way back is between 2 of us we have 2 cases and I am in a wheelchair so not easy to wonder about all day. And thanks to virgin moving our flights a day earlier we now fly home the day of disembark but not until 8.40pm :eek:

But that shouldn't be too bad if we can stay on the ship until the last bus leaves at 3ish

No come back on virgin - apparently the terms and conditions allow a 24 hr flight move (however, after many emails/phone calls they have refunded my hotel cost and given us our air miles back.)

There is no stay then cruise that sailing as its the first sailing from Barbados so no flights the week before. I will still aim to be at the port by 1ish anyway. The reason I am bothered about the way back is between 2 of us we have 2 cases and I am in a wheelchair so not easy to wonder about all day. And thanks to virgin moving our flights a day earlier we now fly home the day of disembark but not until 8.40pm :eek:

But that shouldn't be too bad if we can stay on the ship until the last bus leaves at 3ish

No come back on virgin - apparently the terms and conditions allow a 24 hr flight move (however, after many emails/phone calls they have refunded my hotel cost and given us our air miles back.)

I cant imagine staying on the ship till whatever time is best for you will be a problem, , they wont get security to round you up and throw you off so dont worry

nd thanks to virgin moving our flights a day earlier we now fly home the day of disembark but not until 8.40pm :eek:

As you will have to be at the airport around 2 hours before your flight you will be leaving the ship by 6 p.m. at the latest and should have no problem staying on board until then (according to the itinerary the ship does not sail until 8 p.m.).