Viking Ocean Cruise London Port location

jeffbook

You will tender from the ship, a very short distance, to the pier. This is actually next to the Cutty Sark and the Old Royal Naval College and Visitor Centre. Lots to do and see in Greenwich. Best way into central London is via the Riverbus boats which leave from the same pier. Much more scenic and also faster than using land transport.

Near to the Cutty Sark is the DLR (overground) and you can access the tube network from Canary Wharf stop or get on a DLR which terminates at Bank (City of London) or Tower Gateway (next to the Tower of London).

There is a lot of information about London on the Ports of Call Boards on cruise critic.

You will tender from the ship, a very short distance, to the pier. This is actually next to the Cutty Sark and the Old Royal Naval College and Visitor Centre. Lots to do and see in Greenwich. Best way into central London is via the Riverbus boats which leave from the same pier. Much more scenic and also faster than using land transport.

Near to the Cutty Sark is the DLR (overground) and you can access the tube network from Canary Wharf stop or get on a DLR which terminates at Bank (City of London) or Tower Gateway (next to the Tower of London).

There is a lot of information about London on the Ports of Call Boards on cruise critic.

Google maps will help you. The Cutty Sark is well marked on the map and if you go to satellite view, you will get the lay of the land.

This info is really more for others who embark in Greenwich, get there by car or other means so are luggage free, and then want to go back out to sightsee. However, maybe you'll find it interesting. If you have time, a fun thing to do is take the underground passage (a little spooky, but haven't heard it's unsafe) from near the Cutty Sark over to the other side of the Thames. There you can view the ship from the shore, not far away. There's a nice park there. Then you walk about a block (head towards street) and run into the DLR. I think it's called the Island Gardens station, but I forget. Of course, if you walk into the town of Greenwich, you can find the DLR station there, too. I took the Island Gardens DLR to the Tube and took a Tube train to Westminster Abbey. It's not terribly hard to get to central London but it does take a little planning. Once I did some sightseeing I found the Thames Clipper boat to take back to Greenwich Pier. The Clipper was easier to navigate than DLR/Tube, but more crowded. It comes right to almost where the ship is docked, so it's easy. Just check the hours of each type of transportation you take; many are a bit limited in the evening or night. Pictures that a family member took are in this gallery:http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/london__greenwich_

Getting to Greenwich by car was a long, hot process; however, overall we LOVED the fact that we were not stuck out in Southampton like we were when we visited London before on a cruise. Incidentally, wee were tendered to the ship on Clipper boats. The pier for Viking was right in front of the one the Clipper used to head up and down the Thames; make sure you know the difference. Of course, there were Viking people there to help filter passengers toward the right pier. Once off the tender boat (Clipper boat) there's a platform near the cruise ship where you'll walk a very short way go through security and onto the ship.

You're ending up in Greenwich rather than starting out, but I'm thinking maybe the luggage situation may be the same: We checked in at tents to the right of the Cutty Sark as you're facing the Thames. So I guess that's where they'll put your luggage on your disembarkation day. From where a taxi was able to drop us, it was maybe a minute walk to the tent with our luggage. Obviously, it would be more to the DLR station in Greenwich.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Mskaj said:

what airline do I need to use to be closest to the Viking cruise port

thanks

The closest airport to Greenwich is London City Airport. While I have never used London City, I believe it has some restrictions and believe it handles mostly short haul flights from UK/Europe. Biggest airlines flying to London City that I am aware of are BA & KLM.

Most long-haul international flights arrive at Heathrow & Gatwick, although you could fly into a European hub and then short-haul to London City. From London City, you can hop on a Docklands Light Rail train to Greenwich.