First cruise with a wheelchair

silversurf

i shall be using a lightweight folding wheelchair on our December Oriana cruise. Is there anywhere I can leave my wheelchair (folded) in the theatre, bars, show lounge, restaurants etc. I can walk a few steps with my husband's asststance and would prefer to sit in an ordinary chair in these venues.

i shall be using a lightweight folding wheelchair on our December Oriana cruise. Is there anywhere I can leave my wheelchair (folded) in the theatre, bars, show lounge, restaurants etc. I can walk a few steps with my husband's asststance and would prefer to sit in an ordinary chair in these venues.

I have noticed that in the MDR the waiters will help anyone wishing to sit in an ordinary chair by moving the wheelchair for them and bringing it back when the passenger wishes to leave. I have also seen wheelchairs left at the back of the theatre, I have not noticed them in bars or lounges but I would expect that there are places where you could "park".

I think you will find that the crew will help by directing you on simple things. The waiters in the MDR club dining will have a system of making sure your chair is out the way. On freedom dining typically they will try to allocate you near entrance with storage in mind. You do need to tell them you are intending to transfer.

Never been on Oriana but in general when cruising it's best to avoid the rush if you can. Theatre on P&O there are seats at the back for disabled people in wheelchairs. It gets crowded in these areas and early arrival is best. However on Azura, Britannia and Ventura when attending the theatre it is better to go down the slopes to the deck below to get to the front as there are areas to stow wheelchairs at the side out of the way. People familiar with Oriana may be able to advise on this.

Regards John

My guide...

Use Humour!

Never, never push in.

Let the able bodied, go first.

You have no more rights then any one else.

You are at the mercy of the lazy and inconsiderate.

So smile and accept your lowly position in society

And remember the meek shall inherit the earth!

I have taken a wheelchair on both Oriana and Britannia. I found crew on Britannia much more helpful.

On board ship there is always somewhere you can store it. I can also walk a short distance and prefer to sit in normal chair. We prefer 2nd sitting dining in MDR and staff always take away chair and bring it back after dinner.

There are wheelchair spaces at back of theatre, but are often taken by those who don't need them.

Sometimes using lifts can be a bit difficult as there will always be those who barge in front of you or won't move to make space so you can get in.

In general you will be fine and most people are helpful. We liked Oriana, but went on her before refurb.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for all your replies. Luckily our cabin is at the stern so I may manage without my chair except for the show lounge and Crows Nest. Loved the Crows Nest on Aurora. I can't understand why they put a spa at the front of some of the ships, as whenever I've been around the spa area there is never anybody in there that I can see. Ridiculously expensive for most people.