Live from Eclipse to the Canaries

groryjm

I hadn't originally intended to do a live review this cruise but we have just had our CC connections meet and greet and I have changed my mind.

I have to confess neither my dw or I are meeters or minglers but I did enjoy the opportunity to but faces to cc nom de plumes. What I really did appreciate was that as well as about 40 or so cruise critics there were a dozen or so officers including the captain :) CD Eddie opened the proceedings an then each officer introduced themselves and expressed the appreciation of CC.

Now one officer, and apologise as I can't remember which, explained how he and his colleagues read our post and criticism / praises every day. AND listen. So..... I feel encouraged to write this.

This is our first cruise out of Southampton and a revelation. 2 hours from putting the suit cases in the car to my first campari soda in Michael's :o Ah.... also we have a CS so this review will cover the delights of the suite life as well.

Sent from my Archos 50 Saphir using Forums mobile app

So pleased you are happily settled on board. We were in a RS on Eclipse for the Azores cruise a few weeks ago. We also found the Officers presence very evident. As you say, they do listen and really care! We had met Captain Leo on a previous cruise and once again enjoyed his 'voice from above' messages and in person his quiet humour.

We also really enjoyed Michael's Club. Hope you do too! John was very welcoming, kind and helpful. He will arrange bridge tours etc for guests who are interested, make sure you have a chat with him early in the cruise.

Whilst we enjoyed all food on board we did find Murano's exceptional for both food and service. We would thoroughly recommend.

We have a similar cruise itinerary to yours booked on the Silhouette next year so we will follow your post with interest.

Sincere best wishes for a great cruise!

Agreed, I was on the September 17th Voyage to The Azores, and was impressed by the availability and friendliness of Captain Leo and his officers, who came along to our meet and mingle.

The Cruise was most enjoyable, some of the menu choices in the buffet and MD adapted to British tastes which seem to go down well. Edie Jenkins was a very good CD with the right degree of presence.

Having been on Eclipse a number of times before sailing from Miami the ship is in fine condition and well maintained.

All the crew I encountered were friendly and went out of their way to please guests.

groryjm continue to enjoy your cruise, I hope that you will keep posting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Captain Leo just went home for vacation. The other half of the rotation is Michael Sympouras who should be master of Eclipse for the next three months.

We'll be onboard in a month for our Michael's fix.

Arno is right it is Captain Michael no in charge.

I had a very interesting chat with John Escobar this afternoon. Now I have ready a some what scathing rebort on these pages last weeks suggesting that he was a less than perfect MCC but as chemmo also said at the time I have do differ with that poster. John has been - So far - an excelent host. I will elaborate further as our cruises unfolds.

One little gem He did pass pass while chatting this afternoon was that in the forth coming refuurb (revolution) there will be additional suites added to the s class ships possibly around the sky lounge.

One little gem He did pass pass while chatting this afternoon was that in the forth coming refuurb (revolution) there will be additional suites added to the s class ships possibly around the sky lounge.

Suspect that'll be like on Reflection where the Sky Lounge is smaller due to the suites on the port side.

Adding to my earlier post re the cc meet and mingle, the officer who said he watched is was Jamie's the hotel director.

Just returned from a very pleasant drinks party with the officers in Michael's. Captain Michael was courteous and a pleasure to meet. These little extras laid on by John the MCC are special little touches that make the suite life sweet.

Just back at the room to photograph the sunset then off to Luminae

Adding to my earlier post re the cc meet and mingle, the officer who said he watched is was Jamie's the hotel director.

Just returned from a very pleasant drinks party with the officers in Michael's. Captain Michael was courteous and a pleasure to meet. These little extras laid on by John the MCC are special little touches that make the suite life sweet.

Just back at the room to photograph the sunset then off to Luminae

So glad you are enjoying....

We initially met Jamie on our Norwegian cruise in April and were very touched on boarding in September that he remembered us. As others have said, on many posts, with the volume of guests it really is wonderful when any of us receive genuine personal greetings from staff.

We also had the pleasure of meeting with Captain Michael in April/May. His red wine recommendation has become a favourite of ours!

Please send our family's regards to John, I think he will remember me as the little lady with one dainty evening sandal and one big boot!

Continue to make the most of the very sweet, suite life....

Arno is right it is Captain Michael no in charge.

I had a very interesting chat with John Escobar this afternoon. Now I have ready a some what scathing rebort on these pages last weeks suggesting that he was a less than perfect MCC but as chemmo also said at the time I have do differ with that poster. John has been - So far - an excelent host. I will elaborate further as our cruises unfolds.

Dear groryjm, I am glad than you are getting a good service from Mr J A Escobar, as did chemmo, but as the poster mentioned in your above thread, for myself and my wife, the actions of the MCC completely spoilt our X suite experience, and we never received an apology from him. Sorry to post again, but this has just stirred up a bad memory.

After another excellent dinner at Luminae we headed for the production show "Amade" . Now I say excellent, but...... The food was well prepared and very good quality., the service was great but it is the same first chic/formal night menu they have had for nearly 3 years. I think a change is probably in order.

The show... to give you some background we live just South of London in the UK and regularly go to the theater and shows, probably every two or three weeks. I am not a fan of circus type shows with a series of disconnected numbers.

Amade is the first of Celebrities new productions we have seen. A couple of years ago we walked out of one of the big shows and haven't been to one since. This show was a complete contrast and well worth seeing.

I felt the performers had been cast for a production as a whole not just to sing a couple of numbers or to be background dancers. the aerialists that I usually hate were great and a part of the performance not just side acts for a separate number. the score was just that and not just a series of disjointed backing tracks and even the fun little bit with the noodles worked. The only thing I felt lacking was a programme with prehaps a brief plot synopsis and a bit of background info or a rundown on who Amadeus Wolfgang was.

oh the noodle bit........

We will be sailing on the Eclipse again for the transatlantic. Do you know who the Captain’s Club host is?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The current incumbent Maila...

maila.jpg

I will ask her when she is around if it will be her or someone else.

The current incumbent Maila...

maila.jpg

I will ask her when she is around if it will be her or someone else.

She should have left before the TA but had agreed when we were on board to stay on until I think mid November. Another really lovely member of staff!

Having another lovely relaxing sea day. This our first with so many non port days and out of Southampton so no flying and I have to say I am converted.

We have really enjoyed watching the hot glass show again today and while we watched yesterday wrapped in blankets today the sun is getting warmer and the seas bluer. Talking of which captain Michael's promise for a calm crossing have been fulfilled and it has been like sailing on a mill pond.

We tried the elegant tea in Michael's club today and were pleasantly surprised how many were there.

Last night while the wonderful Kim was making me a cocktail at Michael's (to my recipe) I mentioned that at home I use a particular type vermouth and while the martini rosso works my preference is for martini speciiale reserva rubino. Well John over heard and said he would search the ship for some. I fully expected him to say this morning there was none and I reply never mind but thanks for trying.

He did in fact say there was none but said not to be disheartened as he would try to find some in Maderia. Now if he does that would be amazing but I love that he hasn't given up at the first hudle in his attempts to please us. Truly an excellent host so far.

for those who are interested my cocktail of choice is an agavoni..Please ignore the bad camaramanship...

Broke our fast at the ocean view and was pleasantly surprised by quality and variety of the offerings. Then to the helipad sail into Funchal, which was great but a touch crowded. I'm starting to get used to buck's fizzes at 11 o'clock - is that bad :o

After the sailin we made our way to the gangway for disembarkation. Now a really nice touch was that while we waited in the crowded area by the roped off stairs the wonderful John picked us and another couple out and took us down stairs and to the front of the queue. Thus we were one of the first off the ship :)

I'm starting to get used to buck's fizzes at 11 o'clock - is that bad :o :)

Sign of a good cruise I would say.....when they ask you in Luminae what fruit juice you want, ask for a Bellini....now that is a kick start pre breakfast!

Also re Oceanview....we can never understand any complaints re variety or quality. It can be busy, it can be a little chaotic at peak times but the staff work so hard and for a buffet set up it is very good....

So glad you are continuing to enjoy your cruise....

Also re the benefits of cruising from Southampton....we had never cruised from Southampton until this year although we are fairly cruise experienced. We also found the ease, reduction in full holiday costs (no flights) and enjoying the local area (New Forest) a real revelation too. Much as we love world wide cruising we will be browsing Southampton cruises too.

Great show this evening "Rock City". We skipped the main show last night as we are not fans of magic shows but decided to try the second production show by the amazing cast. Not only was the cast as good as in Amade but the live musicians added another level

Just had an interesting conversation with Andrei (barman at Ensemble Lounge) about gin... This man has a passion, with all the Russian blended vodkas on board, where are the gins. They only seem to have the cheap blends like bombay sapphire and Tanquery. Where are the single estate gins like silent pool, Sipsmith etc

We will be sailing on the Eclipse again for the transatlantic. Do you know who the Captain’s Club host is?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I spoke to Maila this afternoon and she confirmed that she was going to be on board for the transatlantic. :)