Mattresses? Any Pillowtops?

chrismch

A bit concerned at seeing a number of posts saying the beds are on the firm size as we're fans of the heavenly beds you find at Hyatt Hotels and the like.

If they are firm, is there anything that the cabin steward can supply to make it more "cloud-like"?

A bit concerned at seeing a number of posts saying the beds are on the firm size as we're fans of the heavenly beds you find at Hyatt Hotels and the like.

If they are firm, is there anything that the cabin steward can supply to make it more "cloud-like"?

ummmm... no. lol

They are barely mattresses in the first place. I can't speak to suites but in regular cabins the "beds" are basically thick mats. Think about a 5 or 6 inch thick mat that sits atop a metal twin "bed."

In order to get a "king size" bed they put the two twins together. At that point if you actually do like your significant other and actually sleep together in the bed you will have a great time attempting to keep the twin "mattresses" from splitting in the middle thus revealing the hard metal bed below. lol

One of our biggest complaints are the "beds." At a minimum they should put some type of pillow top on them. And they should definitely do that when they put the twins together to make the king size bed.

Any thoughts of the "Heavenly Beds" that you find at Westin will only be in your dreams. lol

Beds on CCL used to be 'heavenly'....like top of the line, but no longer. They also used to have 'egg crate' foam toppers if you asked, no longer they claim due to health regulations. If you ask, the only thing they do is bring an extra matress pad that they put under the sheets....slight help but not much. We always have the bed configured to 'king', have never had them separate to feel a metal/boxspring??? They also use king sized matress pads when they put the twins together, so don't really understand post above about the twin beds separating.

Beds on CCL used to be 'heavenly'....like top of the line, but no longer. They also used to have 'egg crate' foam toppers if you asked, no longer they claim due to health regulations. If you ask, the only thing they do is bring an extra matress pad that they put under the sheets....slight help but not much. We always have the bed configured to 'king', have never had them separate to feel a metal/boxspring??? They also use king sized matress pads when they put the twins together, so don't really understand post above about the twin beds separating.

lol.

I wish we had a king mattress pad on my last cruise. I am fresh off of the Dream 10/1-10/9 and we basically fought the bed every night.

Beds vary from ship to ship, maybe cabin to cabin. We felt the beds were too firm on the Fascination last year, can't remember about the Glory, also last year. So for Carnival Pride, we brought our own egg crates (arrived by train) and were glad we did. It was like the mattresses had started out as pillow top but had been crushed with weight and age. On Magic in August, we drove to port and took our egg crates. Didn't need them. they stayed rolled up in the closet and came home with us. Took them last week on Fascination, didn't need them. They stayed in the back of the SUV all week. Next cruise is on Elation, probably won't need them as she is just out of drydock, but they will be in the back just in case. Not sure what we are going to do to Splendor, as we have to fly to her. EM

So we need to request mattress pads for the bed in advance - maybe double?

Yep. We were recently on the Dream and immediately noticed the difference in mattresses when we stayed at the New Orleans Westin post cruise. The westin's were just so much better for support and comfort.

I’ve had the king separate as described above.

On Magic in August, we drove to port and took our egg crates. Didn't need them. they stayed rolled up in the closet and came home with us. EM

Curious what type of room (floor) did you have on the Magic? Isn't it funny how they vary from ship to ship. The first really hard mattress we had was on our first cruise on the Breeze, had to request extra comforter insert to be put under the sheet for a topper effect. We were so surprised considering the Breeze was one of the newest ships we had sailed on and the mattresses were like a brick. Plan on sailing her again next fall, really hope they've changed them since Dec. 2015. :eek:

Beds vary from ship to ship, maybe cabin to cabin. We felt the beds were too firm on the Fascination last year, can't remember about the Glory, also last year. So for Carnival Pride, we brought our own egg crates (arrived by train) and were glad we did. It was like the mattresses had started out as pillow top but had been crushed with weight and age. On Magic in August, we drove to port and took our egg crates. Didn't need them. they stayed rolled up in the closet and came home with us. Took them last week on Fascination, didn't need them. They stayed in the back of the SUV all week. Next cruise is on Elation, probably won't need them as she is just out of drydock, but they will be in the back just in case. Not sure what we are going to do to Splendor, as we have to fly to her. EM

We put egg crate foam toppers into Space Bags, they squeeze down to nothing.

My (twin) bed on the had a comforter under the sheet. Didn’t ask for it, the Steward did it from the get go.

ummmm... no. lol

They are barely mattresses in the first place. I can't speak to suites but in regular cabins the "beds" are basically thick mats. Think about a 5 or 6 inch thick mat that sits atop a metal twin "bed."

In order to get a "king size" bed they put the two twins together. At that point if you actually do like your significant other and actually sleep together in the bed you will have a great time attempting to keep the twin "mattresses" from splitting in the middle thus revealing the hard metal bed below. lol

One of our biggest complaints are the "beds." At a minimum they should put some type of pillow top on them. And they should definitely do that when they put the twins together to make the king size bed.

Any thoughts of the "Heavenly Beds" that you find at Westin will only be in your dreams. lol

Not sure what ship you've been on but in my over 30 cruises I've had great mattresses. I certainly wouldn't call them thick mats. Never had a hard metal bed in between the twins. ???

Not sure what ship you've been on but in my over 30 cruises I've had great mattresses. I certainly wouldn't call them thick mats. Never had a hard metal bed in between the twins. ???

It’s happened to me on a cruise or two where if you’re sleeping in the middle of the king...the twins start to slide apart and you end up sleeping on metal.

Maybe they put it together wrong because it isn’t always that way.

I’ve had the king separate as described above.

Carnival does refer to the two twin mattresses shoved together as a king. Maybe in Europe it's king size but in the states two twins roughly equal a queen, at least to me they do. And yes, they do separate and create a great divide at times.

Carnival does refer to the two twin mattresses shoved together as a king. Maybe in Europe it's king size but in the states two twins roughly equal a queen, at least to me they do. And yes, they do separate and create a great divide at times.

A queen bed is 60x80. King is 78x80. I measured my twin on Fascination as 35 x78". Which makes the queen/king as 70", certainly wider then a traditional queen. EM

ummmm... no. lol

We always ask our cabin steward to put a duvet (comforter) UNDER the fitted sheet.

Not only does it make the bed much softer, like a pillow top, it ensures that the two mattresses don't shift.