Hawaii Price Drops

Stateroom_Sailor

We recently booked a Hawaiian cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse, after noticing that verandas are currenlty matching OV pricing. NCL's Pride of America has also had price drop for the same timeframe. I'm assuming that Carnival, HAL, and Princess have or will follow suit.

I'm sure this has been brought up on various roll calls, and mixed into other threads. Is anyone else jumping on the sales, or calling in for the price drops? Has anyone cancelled their cruise, due to the Kilauea situation?

We recently booked a Hawaiian cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse, after noticing that verandas are currenlty matching OV pricing. NCL's Pride of America has also had price drop for the same timeframe. I'm assuming that Carnival, HAL, and Princess have or will follow suit.

I'm sure this has been brought up on various roll calls, and mixed into other threads. Is anyone else jumping on the sales, or calling in for the price drops? Has anyone cancelled their cruise, due to the Kilauea situation?

I am cruising on the Pride of America on June 2 with family. My sister-in-law has been seriously considering cancelling her trip due to the Kilauea and the itinerary changes; she is 1) concerned about the danger that the volcano poses and 2) feels that she paid to see four islands so she should come back when she can experience the promised itinerary. I believe the only reason she hasn't cancelled is because my husband and I are stubbornly refusing to change.

I would guess others also share the same feelings as my sister-in-law so I am not surprised that there'd be cancellations with a consequent price drop for Hawaii cruises.

Don’t the cruise lines hold the rights to cancel or change itineraries as the see fit? I’m sure that’s somewhere in the fine print. I don’t agree with it because I’m on the cruise the week after you are. If I could cancel our cruise and airfare at 100 percent reimbursement I would.

It depends on demand for the sailing. We booked the Eclipse for Sept/Oct 2019 since they launch the itineraries, they price has a drop before Pele becomes angry. and more than 500 days to sail. We will wait near final payment date to ask for adjustment in the cruise rate.

Other side our Silhouette cruise for March 2019 has rise more than $1,000

Don’t the cruise lines hold the rights to cancel or change itineraries as the see fit? I’m sure that’s somewhere in the fine print. I don’t agree with it because I’m on the cruise the week after you are. If I could cancel our cruise and airfare at 100 percent reimbursement I would.

I do think the cruise lines have the right to change itineraries. In my sister-in-law's case, she has the option to cancel because she has pretty comprehensive travel insurance that allows her to cancel her entire trip for any reason.

I am cruising on the Pride of America on June 2 with family. My sister-in-law has been seriously considering cancelling her trip due to the Kilauea and the itinerary changes; she is 1) concerned about the danger that the volcano poses and 2) feels that she paid to see four islands so she should come back when she can experience the promised itinerary. I believe the only reason she hasn't cancelled is because my husband and I are stubbornly refusing to change.

I would guess others also share the same feelings as my sister-in-law so I am not surprised that there'd be cancellations with a consequent price drop for Hawaii cruises.

I don't see the new itinerary on NCL's website. Do you get more time on the other islands? If I had airfare already paid for, it would be a tough call to cancel, but I understand their temptation.

It depends on demand for the sailing. We booked the Eclipse for Sept/Oct 2019 since they launch the itineraries, they price has a drop before Pele becomes angry. and more than 500 days to sail. We will wait near final payment date to ask for adjustment in the cruise rate.

Other side our Silhouette cruise for March 2019 has rise more than $1,000

We're on Eclipse for April 2019. I remember looking 4 weeks ago, and considered the veranda price a splurge, and concierge/aqua out of the question. When our transpacific got altered in an unfavorable way, and OBC was offered to rebook any cruise, I was shocked to see concierge at the OV price!

However our March 2020 Eclipse repo back from Chile, is spiking. If the previous year is any example, it will end up costing double in no time.

I don't see the new itinerary on NCL's website. Do you get more time on the other islands? If I had airfare already paid for, it would be a tough call to cancel, but I understand their temptation.

I heard of the Pride of America's itinerary changes from the news and from people on the Cruise Critic boards. NCL has been skipping both the Hilo and Kona ports; I linked an article below. I read on the boards that the ship is now staying in Honolulu an additional day and going to Lahaina after Kahului. It sounds like NCL doesn't notify passengers until they arrive on the ship, which is annoying.

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2018/05/22/hawaii-news/cruise-ship-pride-of-america-cancels-hawaii-island-visits-for-second-week/

1 It sounds like NCL doesn't notify passengers until they arrive on the ship, which is annoying.

That may be the new normal, unfortuntely. Like that recent 6 day Hawaiian cruise, where everyone stood around in a hotel lobby for 12 hours, from 8am up to 8pm to get checked in, for a surprise day in dry dock.

We are on this same sailing and we have not canceled. This Saturday's sailing will be stopping at Kona.

I heard of the Pride of America's itinerary changes from the news and from people on the Cruise Critic boards. NCL has been skipping both the Hilo and Kona ports; I linked an article below. I read on the boards that the ship is now staying in Honolulu an additional day and going to Lahaina after Kahului. It sounds like NCL doesn't notify passengers until they arrive on the ship, which is annoying.

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2018/05/22/hawaii-news/cruise-ship-pride-of-america-cancels-hawaii-island-visits-for-second-week/

I am relying on FB for updates as NCL was not forthcoming with my TA. Kona is added back in and I hope Hilo is returned as well. We are planning to have asgreat time no matter where the ship sails.

33243533_1994124910628979_2547757338513637376_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=ad5212cbea7a9a97f707fd83606cfbe3&oe=5B8F6E99

Show her this if she's fearful of the volcano.

PRICELESS!

We're on the 6/23 trip and hoping we can make Hilo and Kona, but if not, well, it's STILL Hawaii! Work with folks there and they report the mainland news is grossly overexaggerating the issue. The volcano has been active for decades. Granted the local impact is higher than usual, but the island isn't in danger of being wiped out.

Now cruises are not stopping at Hilo and some cruise stops at Kona. Hope Pele calms and cruise returns to the Big Island.

Yes there are many parts at Hilo not at danger like north part of the island

PRICELESS!

We're on the 6/23 trip and hoping we can make Hilo and Kona, but if not, well, it's STILL Hawaii! Work with folks there and they report the mainland news is grossly overexaggerating the issue. The volcano has been active for decades. Granted the local impact is higher than usual, but the island isn't in danger of being wiped out.

We just need Tony Robbins to sponsor some excursions and hype up each ship, and even picture #1 will be no problem.

• 4 weeks later...

GJustice is dead on right. You should have no concerns about taking a cruise to the islands.

1. Keep in mind that there are several islands. The volcano is active on only one and only in a remote part of that one (and frankly the only houses that have been engulfed by lava are sitting on an active lava field. Yes, the people knew the risk before they built. It's not a real surprise).

2. Hawaii's lava is very slow moving. In the unlikely event that you get near it, you can easily outrun it. Heck, you can outwalk it.

3. The only way to get near the lava is to try really hard to get to it and ignore the authorities and the warning signage.

4. The only real potential danger you have is with the VOG. If the tradewinds happen to shift to Kona winds, you may encounter some diluted VOG. If this happens to you, avoid spending too much time outside if you are sensitive. Most of the time, you will enjoyt tradewinds and this won't be an issue.

Have a great trip!

• 4 weeks later...