Formal Evenings - Splendour

wardy86

Hi All,

We're off on Splendour in 3 weeks time and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the formal evenings.

Its been sometime since we've cruised on RCI and wondered if the guys still go for the full tux on formal evenings or do they just wear suit and tie?

Thanks

Hi All,

We're off on Splendour in 3 weeks time and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the formal evenings.

Its been sometime since we've cruised on RCI and wondered if the guys still go for the full tux on formal evenings or do they just wear suit and tie?

Thanks

What the cruise line suggests:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

Just returned and I would say most men had a jacket and tie but not always a tux. My husband just wore a jacket and tie and this was fine. Have a great time.

Hi Claire - never used this forum before, but have cruise 7 times with RCI. We sail from Dubai on 7 March and this is the smallest ship we have been on! Could you remember which nights were formal, as I am trying to plan our days and evenings. Usually formal nights are on the 2nd day and the day at sea if I remember rightly, which would mean they might be on the Tuesday and Friday of this particular cruise. Tried to find a copy of the Daily Compass on Splendour but found all other cruises but not this ship! Any help appreciated.

Hi Claire - never used this forum before, but have cruise 7 times with RCI. We sail from Dubai on 7 March and this is the smallest ship we have been on! Could you remember which nights were formal, as I am trying to plan our days and evenings. Usually formal nights are on the 2nd day and the day at sea if I remember rightly, which would mean they might be on the Tuesday and Friday of this particular cruise. Tried to find a copy of the Daily Compass on Splendour but found all other cruises but not this ship! Any help appreciated.

Here is a link to all the cruise compasses for this itinerary.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2182642&page=9

Edited by Brit-Cruiser

Thank you so much for the link, Dragonqueen! I see the Compasses are from last December, so I am sure they will not have changed much for the March cruise. Nice to know what to pack for various evening entertainment. Glad I joined this forum, and didn't expect such a prompt reply! Thanks again.

hi there , we are on the same cruise too. formal nights arent what they used to be, and i would say a jacket and shirt and tie would be fine, my hubby just generally wears a suit now and not his tux. any ?? just ask. been on this cruise on costa twice and know quite a bit about dubai ect. signed up for the meet and mingle but dont think they have enough people to actually do it. if you fancy meeting up for a coffee one day, we could arrange it. i am 52 hubby53 and from dundee in scotland , cruising is our passion lol

Hi Claire, yes just noticed that the formal used to be the day at sea has now changed to Abu Dhabi - just nice to know which nights, as don't like rushing back from an excursion to get dressed up! Thanks for all the info!

An email from RCI yesterday further confuses me re: formal nights and the Mosque attire! RCI states formals are day 2 & 6 (Abu Dhabi not at Sea), and women MUST bring their own gowns to wear in the mosque. I tend to take the advice of guests who have just sailed on Splendour rather than RCI's advice!

Dear Jayne,

We thank you for another opportunity to answer your enquiries; it is always a pleasure to stay in touch with our guests. Formal nights are on day 2 and day 6.

Garments are not provided you will need to bring your own. Women visiting the mosque must cover their entire body plus their head with a scarf, leaving their hands and face exposed. Men are also to be fully covered.

• No sandals or exposed feet.

• No exposed shoulders or knees.

• No tank tops or shorts.

An email from RCI yesterday further confuses me re: formal nights and the Mosque attire! RCI states formals are day 2 & 6 (Abu Dhabi not at Sea), and women MUST bring their own gowns to wear in the mosque. I tend to take the advice of guests who have just sailed on Splendour rather than RCI's advice!

Dear Jayne,

We thank you for another opportunity to answer your enquiries; it is always a pleasure to stay in touch with our guests. Formal nights are on day 2 and day 6.

Garments are not provided you will need to bring your own. Women visiting the mosque must cover their entire body plus their head with a scarf, leaving their hands and face exposed. Men are also to be fully covered.

• No sandals or exposed feet.

• No exposed shoulders or knees.

• No tank tops or shorts.

We did the cruise in December and our formal nights were Khasab and the sea day. As to mosque attire, we visited the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi. I wore a loose fitting long trousers, a long sleeved, loose cotton top and a pashmina that I fashioned into a headscarf. This was perfectly acceptable. They also have abayas and head coverings for women that do not come appropriately dressed, but I heard that the line for those were very long.

Corinna

Formal night dress is what makes you happy. To use a phrase, from X, "Evening Chick dress, is more the norm. You will not be alone, in however you choose to dress. I just hope/wish everyone would DRESS UP A LITTLE BETTER ON "FORMAL NIGHtS".