Private Cuba tours

Miker1112

I just got back from a cruise to Cuba with NCL and they really try hard to convince everyone that the best way to fulfill the travel requirements is to book excursions through them, (no surprise). We privately booked a 2 hour ride in an old, beautifully maintained convertible Buick, cost was $80 total for 2 of us. We walked around town, had a beer in a Paladar (privately owned restaurant), and just soaked up the city. We had checked "support for the Cuban people" as our reason for being there and Miami customs only asked us if we had liquor or tobacco. Didn't really care why we had been in Cuba nor did they ask for any documentation or proof of what we did while there.

Thanks for posting. We'll be on NCL in July and would love to do a short private by classic car tour, do you remember who yours was with?

We used Blexie also. You must keep your itinerary for 5 years unless the US Govt decides to audit you. We paid 130CUC for a 6 hour walking and car tour with a guide and driver. You can have up to 5 people for that price.

I'm cruising in March 2019 but have already booked my private excursion.... The email from the company said this:

"If you are an American citizen traveling to Cuba, please keep in mind that all the tours we run are focused on Cuban history, culture and interaction with Cubans. We can issue an itinerary complying with “Professional Research” or “Support for the Cuban People” which allows you to engage in travel in Cuba. All of our tours are run by local Cuban guides, so you will be interacting with a Cuban local for the duration of the tour. You will also meet other Cuban's along the way including street vendors, workers and many others going about their day to day business. You would be responsible for making sure that you keep records of these activities by means of pictures, etc. We can provide an “official itinerary”."

I will obtain an official itinerary and bring it with us just in case.

We were in Havana for only one day and decided to do the 3 hr walking tour and 3 hr drive around the city.

I am a very picky person and from the moment I started emailing with Stefano, the general manager at havanacar.net.

he put me at ease, which is difficult to do when you’re setting up a financial transaction in a different country. He arranged for us to have a driver and a tour guide for a car tour around the city - they were waiting for us as we got off of our cruise ship.

Hugo, our walking tour guide was incredible, highly intelligent and knowledgeable. He gave us a history lesson along with fun trivia. Omar our driver had a great sense of humor and was an excellent driver. We could not have asked for any better treatment.

When we were on an Oceania cruise this month in Cuba, I booked a 5-hour tour of Santiago de Cuba with Yuri of cubaguider dot com. I had read many excellent reviews of him on CC and Trip Advisor. I highly recommend him to be your guide in Santiago. It was amazing how many places he took us to in spite of the short time we had with him. He not only knows about all the sites in Santiago, but also he knows all the history of Cuba. You don't need to look any further for a guide in Santiago.

When we were in Havana and Cienfuegos this month, we took 2 tours booked with the company called Cuban Trip Compass. There were 8 of us travelling together. Alejandro was our contact person and he was so easy to work with and always prompt with his replies to our many questions. Our tour in Havana was in 2 classic cars and we traveled together and visited the same sites. We started around 9:00 A.M. and had the services of our guides until midnight. The cost was SO much less than tours from the ship, and we got to see so much more. Our 2 guides (1 in each car) were Luvys and Mirlan. They were both teachers and were so knowledgeable about their country. We began our all day tour with a long walking tour of Old Havana. Our day ended with a visit to the Cabaret Parisien, which I recommend, too.

Our 2nd tour was in Cienfuegos and Trinidad. The guide this time was Raul who was as good as the 2 guides we had in Havana. With the ship's tours, you could only visit Cienfuegos or Trinidad, but not both.

I highly recommend this tour company. We have nothing but praises for Alejandro and his guides.

When we were in Havana and Cienfuegos this month, we took 2 tours booked with the company called Cuban Trip Compass. There were 8 of us travelling together. Alejandro was our contact person and he was so easy to work with and always prompt with his replies to our many questions. Our tour in Havana was in 2 classic cars and we traveled together and visited the same sites. We started around 9:00 A.M. and had the services of our guides until midnight. The cost was SO much less than tours from the ship, and we got to see so much more. Our 2 guides (1 in each car) were Luvys and Mirlan. They were both teachers and were so knowledgeable about their country. We began our all day tour with a long walking tour of Old Havana. Our day ended with a visit to the Cabaret Parisien, which I recommend, too.

Our 2nd tour was in Cienfuegos and Trinidad. The guide this time was Raul who was as good as the 2 guides we had in Havana. With the ship's tours, you could only visit Cienfuegos or Trinidad, but not both.

I highly recommend this tour company. We have nothing but praises for Alejandro and his guides.

Hi Fishcreek: We've been hearing that the road between Cienfuegos and Trinidad is very rough and bumpy, and we'll feel it right through the car. Someone has even discouraged me from trying to visit Trinidad for that reason. Based on your experience, do you agree? Thanks!

I hope you don't mind a second question. What kind of vehicles did Cuban Trip Compass use in Cienfuegos? Thanks, again!

Hi Fishcreek. Do you have an email address for Cuban Trip Compass? I sent an email to the "info@" address but have not gotten a reply as yet. Many thanks!

Our group of ten was in Cuba last week. We used Fertours2Havana. Every detail was taken care of for us - our guide spoke perfect English, all transportation was arranged and we saw and did so much in the time we had off our cruise. We had lunch in a paladar, saw a caberet show, rode in the much admired convertibles, etc. All communication with Fernando was promptly answerd. You won't be disappointed!

We are using Havana Journeys for ours.

This our program/itinerary:

Program:

The program comprises Havana´s 4 most representative and contrastive neighbourhoods: Old Havana, Centro Habana, Vedado and Miramar. There is a break for lunch.

1. Old Havana (Havana´s Historic Center, the most relevant in the Caribbean, and one of the most outstanding in the Western Hemisphere, declared World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1982. In this area you will get in touch with Cuba´s colonial history up to the US invasion and occupation of the island in 1898) Besides showing you the well-preserved Historic Center, we will take you to the non-restored areas so that you see how the less-privileged live.

· Chronological walking tour around Old Havana´s most emblematic squares: Plaza de Armas (Arms Square), Plaza de San Francisco de Asís , Plaza Vieja (Old Square), Plaza de la Catedral (Cathedral Square).

· Visit to the Ambos Mundos Hotel and the famous bar of La Bodeguita del Medio, both spots frequented by Ernest Hemingway.

· Walking tour around the non-restored areas for you to see the daily life struggles of the common citizen.

· (Optional) Time off at the Flea Market.

2. Centro Habana (Havana from the early 20th century)

· Visit to the outdoor areas of the Museum of the Revolution (former Presidential Palace) and the Granma Memorial.

· Walking tour around Parque Central, Great Theatre of Havana, Capitol Building, Prado Promenade.

Lunch

Break for lunch at a private restaurant or paladar where water and food are safe and of good quality.

*** Lunch is not included in the price of the tour

3. Vedado (Modern Havana, 1940s and 50s)

· Ride around the famous Malecón (sea front promenade) and around Vedado (National Hotel, Habana Libre Hotel, Coppelia, Paseo Avenue and 23rd Street)

· Stop at the emblematic Revolution Square.

· (Optional) Visit to a state-run Cigar and Rum shop.

· (Optional) Visit to a cigar factory (entrance fee 10 cuc per person, not included in the tour price) *Closed on weekends*

4. Miramar (Exclusive residential area in the Cuban capital. Neighbourhood where most foreign embassies are located)

· Ride around 5th Avenue.

· (Optional) Ride around Almendares Natural Park

· Return to Vedado bordering the famous Columbus Cemetery.

· (Optional) Visit to the Columbus Cemetery (entrance fee 5 cuc per person, not included in the tour price)

· Return to hotel or casa particular

Program:

The program comprises Havana´s 4 most representative and contrastive neighbourhoods: Old Havana, Centro Habana, Vedado and Miramar. There is a break for lunch.

1. Old Havana (Havana´s Historic Center, the most relevant in the Caribbean, and one of the most outstanding in the Western Hemisphere, declared World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1982. In this area you will get in touch with Cuba´s colonial history up to the US invasion and occupation of the island in 1898) Besides showing you the well-preserved Historic Center, we will take you to the non-restored areas so that you see how the less-privileged live.

·Chronological walking tour around Old Havana´s most emblematic squares: Plaza de Armas (Arms Square), Plaza de San Francisco de Asís , Plaza Vieja (Old Square), Plaza de la Catedral (Cathedral Square).

·Visit to the Ambos Mundos Hotel and the famous bar of La Bodeguita del Medio, both spots frequented by Ernest Hemingway.

·Walking tour around the non-restored areas for you to see the daily life struggles of the common citizen.

·(Optional) Time off at the Flea Market.

·Visit to the outdoor areas of the Museum of the Revolution (former Presidential Palace) and the Granma Memorial.

·Walking tour around Parque Central, Great Theatre of Havana, Capitol Building, Prado Promenade.

Lunch

Break for lunch at a private restaurant or paladar where water and food are safe and of good quality.

·Ride around the famous Malecón (sea front promenade) and around Vedado (National Hotel, Habana Libre Hotel, Coppelia, Paseo Avenue and 23rd Street)

·Stop at the emblematic Revolution Square.

·(Optional) Visit to a state-run Cigar and Rum shop.

·(Optional) Visit to a cigar factory (entrance fee 10 cuc per person, not included in the tour price) *Closed on weekends*

4. Miramar (Exclusive residential area in the Cuban capital. Neighbourhood where most foreign embassies are located)

·Ride around 5th Avenue.

·(Optional) Ride around Almendares Natural Park

·Return to Vedado bordering the famous Columbus Cemetery.

·(Optional) Visit to the Columbus Cemetery (entrance fee 5 cuc per person, not included in the tour price)

·Return to hotel or casa particular

Yes, we're using Havana Journeys too. Very happy with the itinerary and the promptness and professionalism of their responses.

I'm cruising to Havana in 10 days and have nothing booked through the ship, and so far only have a vintage car tour booked independently. When I ask the cruise line what to check off they just keep telling me the "group-people-to-people". Does anypne know if this keeps me in compliance if I don't have anything booked through the ship?

Program:

·Chronological walking tour around Old Havana´s most emblematic squares: Plaza de Armas (Arms Square), Plaza de San Francisco de Asís , Plaza Vieja (Old Square), Plaza de la Catedral (Cathedral Square).

·Visit to the Ambos Mundos Hotel and the famous bar of La Bodeguita del Medio, both spots frequented by Ernest Hemingway.

·Walking tour around the non-restored areas for you to see the daily life struggles of the common citizen.

·(Optional) Time off at the Flea Market.

·Visit to the outdoor areas of the Museum of the Revolution (former Presidential Palace) and the Granma Memorial.

·Walking tour around Parque Central, Great Theatre of Havana, Capitol Building, Prado Promenade.

Lunch

·Ride around the famous Malecón (sea front promenade) and around Vedado (National Hotel, Habana Libre Hotel, Coppelia, Paseo Avenue and 23rd Street)

·Stop at the emblematic Revolution Square.

·(Optional) Visit to a state-run Cigar and Rum shop.

·(Optional) Visit to a cigar factory (entrance fee 10 cuc per person, not included in the tour price) *Closed on weekends*

·Ride around 5th Avenue.

·(Optional) Ride around Almendares Natural Park

·Return to Vedado bordering the famous Columbus Cemetery.

·(Optional) Visit to the Columbus Cemetery (entrance fee 5 cuc per person, not included in the tour price)

·Return to hotel or casa particular

As an FYI, the Ambos Mundos Hotel is on the restricted list, meaning you cannot transact there: https://www.state.gov/e/eb/tfs/spi/cuba/cubarestrictedlist/275331.htm

How have people been keeping track of whether they visit establishments on the restricted entity list? I imagine it could be somewhat hard during the tour.

We have now completed our private tour arrangements for our January 2019 cruise aboard the Sirena, which has a somewhat different itinerary than most of the 7-day Cuba cruises; one day in Havana, two days in Cienfuegos, and one day in Santiago de Cuba. For Havana, we're using Havana Journeys. For Cienfuegos, FerTours (one day tour to Trinidad, one day tour in Cienfuegos), and for Santiago, Out of the Box Tours. All have very positive reviews on Trip Advisor and CC, all have been very responsive to our emails, and we are very excited!