Inspiration glass elevators

jb8162

Does anybody know what may have happened to the Atrium glass elevators on the Inspiration? I've been told the elevators have been removed, leaving only the glass enclosures. Is this true? Could they have been removed for replacement?

The glass shells of the elevators are still there, stopped at the lowest level of the atrium. They still light up actually. I didn't look close enough to see what was actually inside the glass shells. However, the elevator buttons have been sealed over on every floor. You can't even see the buttons nor touch them. And "stand up advertisement banners" have been placed in front of the elevator doors on most floors. (advertisements for photos/dining etc).

Prepping for "Plat/Diamond's Only" elevators?

(Only kidding!) :D

That would be great. Not many Diamonds and Platinums in the short cruises. Sadly, at least one those never worked in all the time she’s been in Long Beach.

I was on Inspiration last October and spotted a Kone (Japanese elevator manufacturer) technician on board the ship. He said they were going to get parts in Long Beach and repair them before leaving on the next cruise. That did not happen. Now that I hear the cabs have been removed points to the need for rewiring and replacement of the safety switches and brakes. That is not a one day job, and I would expect a glass shaft that age aboard ship would be suffering wear and corrosion requiring replacement of the track rails and brake surfaces.

Major parts would not be in stock, and would need to be manufactured.

I hope they get it fixed soon. It is not fair to Veranda Suite passengers to have half the lifts to that deck out of service.

Continue hearing that all the fantasy class ships glass elevators are having issues. Some have one down, some both. When they go down, it seems they do so for long periods of time. I'm wondering if they are finally just ready to give up on those on the fantasy class? That or looking at a full replacement in the years to come? Since the newer builds have removed the atrium glass elevators, I can see them just killing them and putting them out of their misery.

• 1 month later...

I was on the Inspiration for the 1/12/18 cruise. The elevators look permanently removed from service.

Inspiration is very beat-up looking, from my cabin (damaged drawers, scratched-up wood) to the public areas (broken light fixtures everywhere, etchings in brass). I'd written to Carnival about the poor shape of this ship and got a call a couple days ago from a Guest Services rep. She said she didn't know that the atrium elevators were removed from service.

She said that Inspiration was going in dry-dock later this year and would email me the specifics regarding what's being fixed up. She also gave me a $100 onboard credit for my next cruise, in hopes that my Platinum butt will find itself aboard Carnival again.

-Erik