Upper respiratory infection after cruising?

mamaofami

Regarding the refusal to prescribe antibiotics, if I don’t get antibiotics, why should I even visit the doctor? Everything else can be obtained over the counter.

Usual scenario: I'm sick. Doctor says it's a virus, which is an expensive way of saying they're not going to do anything. They suggest OTCs, which I already have. Pay them $150. Three days later, I'm worse. So it's another $150, and I finally get the antibiotic and Depomedrol.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why should you get an "antibiotic" for a viral infection? People need to learn a lot more up front about typical traveler illnesses and what to do when they occur. Mainly "tourista" (noro) and common colds (upper respiratory). Travelers have been getting them for eons. When do they complicate into something other than routine and transitory conditions best handled by time, bed rest and palliative OTC products.

My point is, why should I give a doctor my money if they’re not doing anything more than I can do by myself?

My point is exactly the same thing. The more people learn about these common traveler afflictions that sound in fact and not superstition the happier we all will be, and probably all a lot healthier. Better to spend that $150 on a spa treatment than a doctor's visit when it comes to these common afflictions, unless of course one has some underlying compromising condition that makes the common sense advice inappropriate in their unique case. (Disclaimers are alway important.)

Regarding the refusal to prescribe antibiotics, if I don’t get antibiotics, why should I even visit the doctor? Everything else can be obtained over the counter.

Usual scenario: I'm sick. Doctor says it's a virus, which is an expensive way of saying they're not going to do anything. They suggest OTCs, which I already have. Pay them $150. Three days later, I'm worse. So it's another $150, and I finally get the antibiotic and Depomedrol.

Pretty much my experience...tried to tough it out but wasn't getting any better.

Pretty much my experience...tried to tough it out but wasn't getting any better.

What lab tests did your doctor run before prescribing "anti-biotics"? The older we get, the longer it takes to get over even the common cold - several weeks now instead of the typical 5-10 days.

What lab tests did your doctor run before prescribing "anti-biotics"? The older we get, the longer it takes to get over even the common cold - several weeks now instead of the typical 5-10 days.

Turned out I had a sinus and ear infection.Those come with their own set of complications if they're not treated.:rolleyes:

Turned out I had a sinus and ear infection.Those come with their own set of complications if they're not treated.:rolleyes:

Viral or bacterial infection? How did the doctor decide what it was before he/she "treated it".

Pays for all of us to learn more about the differences between bacterial and viral infections and not unwittingly get our doctors to "give us antibiotics" until there is confirmation as to the bacteria and the spectrum of the anti-biotic that can be used. We all need to play a role here, not just let doctors continue with sloppy prescribing attitudes too which they do own up too.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/infectious-diseases/expert-answers/infectious-disease/faq-20058098

More about this very troubling topic: https://www.healthline.com/health/antibiotics/addiction-how-patient-demand-helps-drive-epidemic

I seem to remember several people saying on a similar thread that they try to only use the bathroom in their cabin as a form of best practises(among other things).Of course you can't do that every time, and what about when you're on an excursion?

I seem to remember several people saying on a similar thread that they try to only use the bathroom in their cabin as a form of best practises(among other things).Of course you can't do that every time, and what about when you're on an excursion?
I wash my hands after using the bathroom. Also, consider that the toilet flusher is probably one of the dirtiest places on the ship. Too many people walk directly from the toilet stall to the door w/o visiting the sinks.

I seem to remember several people saying on a similar thread that they try to only use the bathroom in their cabin as a form of best practices(among other things).Of course you can't do that every time, and what about when you're on an excursion?

Forget about all the jars and dispensers of gels,

WASH YOUR HANDS, well and often, SOAP and water is the best If you use public restrooms, the chances are very good you will survive. Really not very high risk if you use good hygiene.

Forget about all the jars and dispensers of gels,

WASH YOUR HANDS, well and often, SOAP and water is the best If you use public restrooms, the chances are very good you will survive. Really not very high risk if you use good hygiene.

Yup. I have a thing about washing my hands with super-cold water,but hygiene is hygiene so I have to suck it up to avoid getting sick.Worth it,IMO.

Washing hands is only step one. Where you put those now "clean" hands after you have washed them remains the ongoing awareness concern. Bathroom hygiene is linked to noro concerns; sticking later contaminated hands in eyes, nose, or mouth are the links to upper-respiratory contamination concerns.

There is no one, single magic bullet when it comes to staying well in close living environments. But washing and watching hands is first in the line of self-defense. Working two ways - trying to keep yourself from harm's way as well as not inadvertently passing off contamination to others.

^This is much preferrable to the usual regurgitating links to the CDC website. Sorry not sorry but it's true.

CDC is a good antidote for penetrating repeated superstitions. Put the neutral facts on the table is always good policy. To read them or not, it is always your choice.

Sticking with what works for me.. reading the same facts and figures from the same places gets repetitive

HAL tries to remind people and let them know when there's an outbreak of Noro.

CDC tries to remind people how to prevent them. As long as questions get asked by others, answers hopefully will be provided.

• 8 months later...

Just returned from Hawaii on Emerald Princess. I picked up a bad upper respiratory infection mid cruise. I was not at all surprised because from the start of the cruise we heard so many people coughing badly. In the theater we had a gentlemen sitting right behind us who did not even attempt to cover his mouth when doing his best to expel a lung. Then on one of our excursions a lady sat opposite us on a small bus and did pretty much the same. I guess some people just do not consider the effect they have on others! 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing your experience. Btw: we cruised on the Oasis (RC) -- 1st large ship and strongly agree with the Cruise Critic article on stateroom cleanliness. Having not read this article before the cruise, I, nevertheless, implemented every suggestion except the author's additional brilliant idea: place the tv remote in a plastic bag! (yes!!!)  Guess what! I used disinfectant wipes on every surface including all upholstery. Followed with a total disinfectant SPRAY wipe down before the safety boat presentation. Check this also: I customarily enjoyed a cruise-long spa pool and relaxation experience. But on this cruise, I reluctantly turned down this treat. Ultimately, we enjoyed the cruise and returned without respiratory infections. Hope you have healthy cruises in the future. And thank you for your thoughtful concern.

1 hour ago, lejcstar1@gmail.com said:

Thanks for sharing your experience. Btw: we cruised on the Oasis (RC) -- 1st large ship and strongly agree with the Cruise Critic article on stateroom cleanliness. Having not read this article before the cruise, I, nevertheless, implemented every suggestion except the author's additional brilliant idea: place the tv remote in a plastic bag! (yes!!!)  Guess what! I used disinfectant wipes on every surface including all upholstery. Followed with a total disinfectant SPRAY wipe down before the safety boat presentation. Check this also: I customarily enjoyed a cruise-long spa pool and relaxation experience. But on this cruise, I reluctantly turned down this treat. Ultimately, we enjoyed the cruise and returned without respiratory infections. Hope you have healthy cruises in the future. And thank you for your thoughtful concern.

Do you ever wonder how the "bugs" get from the cabin upholstery or TV remote and into your upper respiratory tract?

At this point, way too busy, exasperated, and exhausted from past infections to care. 🤧 I leave the prophylaxis to my physicians, one of whom declared, "Oh! Cruises are cesspools." But my family and I enjoy them . . . Admittedly, does not make a lot of sense. I have a friend who really suffers. She brings her nebulizer on cruises and still has to go to the ship's infirmary for treatment. ???

11 minutes ago, lejcstar1@gmail.com said:

At this point, way too busy, exasperated, and exhausted from past infections to care. 🤧 I leave the prophylaxis to my physicians, one of whom declared, "Oh! Cruises are cesspools." But my family and I enjoy them . . . Admittedly, does not make a lot of sense. I have a friend who really suffers. She brings her nebulizer on cruises and still has to go to the ship's infirmary for treatment. ???

I'll make it easy then. You touch something that is contaminated and then you stick your own fingers into your mouth, eyes or nose. Disinfection is not sterilization. The weak link remains sticking your own fingers into your eyes, nose or mouth. Or you are unfortunately downwind from someone's else's nasal aerosols, which has nothing to do with sanitizing the cabin upholstery. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1