Volendam - Dec 6 to 20 - Disappointed!

jcarruthers

We cruised from Singapore to Hong Kong on the Volendam on a similar cruise in 2013. Unfortunately our experience this time was most definitely not up the HAL standards we have been used to.

Firstly we boarded the ship just after it had dry docked for further refurbishment. Had we known that the refurb work was to continue DURING the cruise we would not have taken it. There were paint smells in our cabin and drilling on one sea day nearby to our cabin. Fortunately we were not as badly off as some others. Some went without water, or hot water for three days. Some were inconvenienced by leaks (wet carpets) while others also had no air-con for a few days. Passengers we spoke with in Hong Kong after disembarking were glad to get off. Overall we felt that we were “test passengers” during the cruise to identify refurb faults, prior to the Christmas cruise.

Other issues we were disappointed with were the absence of “sail-away” celebrations and poolside food celebrations. Food though (in the MDR) was still very good.

Cannot recommend this ship again, as we have before to our fellow travellers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We cruised from Singapore to Hong Kong on the Volendam on a similar cruise in 2013. Unfortunately our experience this time was most definitely not up the HAL standards we have been used to.

Firstly we boarded the ship just after it had dry docked for further refurbishment. Had we known that the refurb work was to continue DURING the cruise we would not have taken it. There were paint smells in our cabin and drilling on one sea day nearby to our cabin. Fortunately we were not as badly off as some others. Some went without water, or hot water for three days. Some were inconvenienced by leaks (wet carpets) while others also had no air-con for a few days. Passengers we spoke with in Hong Kong after disembarking were glad to get off. Overall we felt that we were “test passengers” during the cruise to identify refurb faults, prior to the Christmas cruise.

Other issues we were disappointed with were the absence of “sail-away” celebrations and poolside food celebrations. Food though (in the MDR) was still very good.

Cannot recommend this ship again, as we have before to our fellow travellers.

Write a letter to Mr Ashford itemizing all your issues. I would start with any compliments due then discuss the shortcomings. Your letter will probably end up being handled by someone in guest relations. They should offer you compensation in the form of Future Cruise Credit.

I never could understand why all the work that is suppose to be done, never is. It seems every post dry dock there is always more work done after, well the ship is cruising with paying passenger. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Allan

Sorry your cruise was not up to your expectations.

Many of us here have been reading the last few years about all work not being completed during the dry dock. They plan too much to be done in a short period of time.

It has been reported on several ships that all outside BBQ's, etc., had to be discontinued because of sanitation problems.

Definitely write a letter to Seattle.

I never could understand why all the work that is suppose to be done, never is. It seems every post dry dock there is always more work done after, well the ship is cruising with paying passenger. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Allan

I so agree with this. The problem isn't just with HAL but other lines as well.

We have found that it is always wise to avoid the cruise immediately prior to, or immediately after a scheduled dry dock. We had planned to take the Volendam from Hong Kong to Singapore, but canceled when we found out that it just before a dry dock period. Pretty much all of the lines will start work during the cruise prior to prepare for dry dock, and will continue unfinished work on the first cruise after dry dock.

I was on the Maasdam right after a drydock, a few years ago. Worst HAL cruise. Safe never worked (after multiple calls and tries), closet doors coming off hinges, towels were so grey and dingy, I brought them down and asked if they were cleaning rags. Plumbing issue a few times. My next cruise I got an upgrade to a verandah, probably based on my evaluation. The front desk was appalled at the towels (and this was day after day after day) - and could not figure out why they could not fix the safe. Near the end of the cruise, they just installed a new door front on the safe (should have thought of that earlier in the week).

So never again after a drydock....and we will be sailing the Maasdam in 2018 - fingers crossed.

Search on the ship name when searching for a cruise and see if there are cruises immediately before and after your cruise. If there is a gap then there might be a drydock scheduled. You can also do a Google search on the ships name with sewarch term drydock.

Hi Barbara

No the self service laundry has been done away with. Something we wanted to use!

The improvements we did enjoy were the much upgraded shower recesses in the cabins and one or two lounge areas. A big contrast between the new and old parts of the ship.

The food, in the MDR at least, as I said is still quite good. And the staff all very cheerful.

PS And HAL needs to do away with “formal” nights. During our cruise, although my wife and I were dressed appropriately (gown for my wife and dinner suit/ bow tie for me) a great number were allowed in with polo shirts/ jeans and, in a couple of cases, flip flops! So we gave up after the first night and wore smart/ casual, like most. Either HAL needs to enforce dress requirements or do away with “formal” nights altogether and make them all, strictly, “smart/casual” (a la Oceania cruise ships).

PS And HAL needs to do away with “formal” nights. During our cruise, although my wife and I were dressed appropriately (gown for my wife and dinner suit/ bow tie for me) a great number were allowed in with polo shirts/ jeans and, in a couple of cases, flip flops! So we gave up after the first night and wore smart/ casual, like most. Either HAL needs to enforce dress requirements or do away with “formal” nights altogether and make them all, strictly, “smart/casual” (a la Oceania cruise ships).

HAL already did eliminate formal nights, quite a while back. They now have Gala Nights, when people are encouraged to dress up.

The minimum standard on Gala Nights, just as on Smart Casual nights, though, is Smart Casual.

Sounds like a cruise on a ship not fit to house passengers. This is why many cruisers avoid new ships and vessels that have just completed a drydock. But this is no excuse from what the OP describes. Regarding the lack of food events on deck, this is apparently a new fleet-wide policy due to issues raised in a Coast Guard inspection about 2 years ago There are potential health issues because of the distance between the buffet stations and access to running water (to wash hands). It is also not the best environment to maintain proper food temperatures for any length of time. We have noticed that these type of ondeck food events have disappeared from most of the other lines upon which we cruise.

Hank

Hi Barbara

No the self service laundry has been done away with. Something we wanted to use!

The improvements we did enjoy were the much upgraded shower recesses in the cabins and one or two lounge areas. A big contrast between the new and old parts of the ship.

The food, in the MDR at least, as I said is still quite good. And the staff all very cheerful.

Thank you so much. Although I wish that the self service laundry could stay, we are really looking forward to our springtime ms Volendam cruise.

Barbara

We have found that it is always wise to avoid the cruise immediately prior to, or immediately after a scheduled dry dock. We had planned to take the Volendam from Hong Kong to Singapore, but canceled when we found out that it just before a dry dock period. Pretty much all of the lines will start work during the cruise prior to prepare for dry dock, and will continue unfinished work on the first cruise after dry dock.

I was on the cruise prior to the ship going into dry dock. There was no visible preparation work being carried out during the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I so agree with this. The problem isn't just with HAL but other lines as well.

I ask this question out of ignoarnce beause I simply do not know. Are there some ship yards that do better work, work with larger crrews and get the job done on time and some) cruise lines are doing their well known, usual dance of choosing the lowest cost? C ostt cutting in all ways possible? Guests suffer for it but,...... so what? :shrug