What improvements did Volendam get in recent dry-dock?

delos456

We're looking for some reassurance on the condition of the Volendam - we understand it was recently in dry-dock? We've sailed many times on HAL - the Ryndam, Veendam, Maasdam, Rotterdam, Koningsdam - but never on the Volendam. After reading some recent reviews of it on Cruise Critic, we're getting worried about our plans to book it for a Panama Canal cruise next January. I tried calling HAL several times, but no one seems to be able to tell me what updating was done recently. Has anyone been on it recently? Can you tell us if the lower promenade deck ocean-view cabins have been updated and if that includes the bathrooms? Reviews we've read made it sound like they needed that badly. For example, we read they would be changing out the tubs for walk-in showers in the ocean-view cabins, which would be a great improvement. Thanks for any information... or suggestions on where we could get this information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Bumping up to hopefully get some responses. Sailing in May.

Thanks, Vandrabrud! I wonder if there's a better place on Cruise Critic to post our concerns?

I just recently found someone at HAL who was able to give me a little more info on what was done during the November 2017 dry dock:

The oceanview staterooms have the walk-in showers and no longer have the tubs. All public areas carpeting was replaced. The Crow’s Nest, Spa, Explorations Café, Hudson Room, Show Lounge, Dining Room, Pinnacle Grill, Wajang, America’s Test Kitchen, and Public Bathrooms have been refurbished with new carpeting, paint, and furniture has been refurbished.

So the negative reviews in December were from the first cruise right after the ship was in dry dock. It sounds like it's never a good idea to book a cruise on a ship that's just coming out of dry dock. I guess the work there is never completed on time, so workers stay on board for the following cruise to try to finish up while guests are on shore.

Now we're hoping to see some more positive reviews showing up on CC. Please post if you hear anything more :)