Review Eclipse 14day Caribbean March 4-March 18th

MWL58

Group of 4 (2 adults 50-55, 2 adults 75-80)

• Miami Sun Mar 4/2018
  • St Maarten 3/7
  • Antigua3/8
  • St Lucia3/9
  • Barbados 3/10
  • Bonaire 3/12
  • Curacao3/13
  • Aruba (overnight) 3/14, 15

St. Maarten

• Used water taxi to Philipsburg. Currently $7USD for all-day use. They now drop you off at the western end of the Philipsburg beach. In the past we were dropped off at the east end of the boardwalk. Beach is well serviced with many options for chairs umbrellas etc. Sept 2017 hurricane appears to have made the beach wider
  • Boardwalk is open but not 100%. There are signs of hotels using all but their top floor.
  • Stores on Voorstraat are open but still not 100%. My estimate is 70%. Based on price checking, St. Maarten is very willing to make buyers a good offer on jewellery, cosmetics, liquor etc
  • I cannot comment beyond the second hand information I received (from a local) that Orient beach is still not ready unless you can manage on your own with limited services. Sand, sea and waves + beauty with very little that existed previously.
  • They really appreciate our support as they rebuild.

Antigua

• Only walked into town and met very motivated drivers who are convinced I should let them take me to a great beach for “a great price” in USD. It can be intimidating when the full sales play book is thrown at you full throttle. I did not take any self-arranged tours so no useful information to provide.
  • If you are not comfortable with “the dealing”, use a ship excursion to a beach..
  • Sorry no info on either of the above

St. Lucia

• Nice easy port with tourist options for shopping. It is a short easy walk into town (15mins) and the level of beach transportation and island tour intensity sales is noticeably less than experienced in Antigua.
  • Took a 2hr local taxi tour to Rodney Bay (Reduit Beach). Beach is very nice and surrounding area is pleasant. Shopping Mall, recognizable USA based chain stores, beach bars, restaurants, facilities, chair rentals, calm water suitable for small children…very little beach sales pressure
  • Positive experience

Barbados

• Our ship docked at the far western end of the pier. There is a shuttle that will take you to the cruise terminal where shops, taxi stand and bars are located. This area is restricted so only cruise passengers, taxis (and staff) are allowed. The walk is approx. 1/2mile or 12-15mins from far west berth to the central terminal building

• Took a 3.5hr ship tour of the island which was good. Had 3 stops that showed 3 different aspects of the island including the Eastern Atlantic side that has larger waves and some rock formations
  • We were allowed another half day to do our own thing. We took the$10USD one way taxi into town and walked around
  • Broad St has all the usual Caribbean jewelry stores. Large department store on north side of Broad street
  • Good beach is another 1mile away.. walkable but would recommend the ease of a taxi since you have to cross a bridge
  • Nice island with low pressure tourist sales

Bonaire

• Docked right in town with easy walk off.
  • Took a ship snorkeling tour to the island just off Bonaire..great snorkeling. The island and beach have no facilities so don’t expect anything. Drop off is dramatic to deep water and therefore presents great variety of fish species. However if you are not comfortable drifting with current consider other Catamaran trips that would take you to calmer waters.
  • On land there are many options that I only witnessed and did not experience.

Curacao

• Great dock location with multiple options to walk and explore. Low pressure sales and the walk through town is good.
  • No beach info as I did not take any tours or taxis

Aruba

• Docked right in town. Taxi rates are fixed and can pick you up in front of the ship. You might have a 5min walk to the gate that exits to town.
  • Multiple shopping options for one to lower you cash balance or increase the digits on your credit card statement. Fortunately my wife is very reasonable and I do not have to donate a kidney or sell a portion of my liver to pay any bills….I did find the prices higher than St Maarten but that might be a result of the motivation on St Maarten.
  • Took a GREAT Catamaran snorkel x 2, beach and lunch excursion that took us from the ship to the northwest tip of Aruba. Palm Beach ….Palm Pleasure tour staff, catamaran, safety, service is great… Highly recommend this tour operator. Palm beach is great and so is Eagle beach.
  • Taxi from the Port to Eagle beach is fixed at $13USD each way as of last week (March 2018)
  • Although night life in Aruba is great we were there mid-week and many “things to do” closed early even though the ship offered unrestricted access on and off the ship overnight
  • Eagle Beach is less commercial but has restaurants, chair/umbrella rentals and washroom facilities. It is only 5min taxi ride from the cruise port. Take 30SPF as you will roast out there.
  • Calm water very well suited to kids NO beach sales pressure
  • I would recommend Eagle Beach as a first choice for a beach adventure do to the proximity and less water craft blasting around the beach

Celebrity Review

• We consider it a fortunate experience to have been on the Celebrity Eclipse.
  • Staff service was excellent
  • Food options and variety over 14 days was wonderful
  • Cruise director Eddy is great and made the entertainment AMAZING. Although not a veteran cruiser I confidently say that this was the best entertainment I have experienced variety rom outside acts, in-house singers, dancers and acrobats
  • Live music was exceptions and that includes the house band and orchestra
  • Silent disco is a funny experience both participating and watching
  • The head Chef at the specialty restaurants (I call him the Soup God) “Omar” was exceptional. It could have been 100degrees outside and I would still look forward to the soup at dinner
  • Appetizers, entrees exceptional. As caffeine addicts we made great use of Café Al Bacio morning Americanos, cappuccinos and afternoon cold cappuccinos. Thankful for this as typical cruise coffee is not first thing we talk about after a cruise.
  • Captains was great, very approachable and good sense of humour.
  • Great trip no complaints except you feel a compulsion to repeat this ….. there was no great restaurant served breakfast for us this morning… back to reality

Cheers

Be Happy

SORRY I MEAN TO SAY the LIVE MUSIC WAS EXCEPTIONAL ...no way was it an exception....String duo, orchestra, Sax player, Guitarist and singer etc etc ... GREAT ...sorry for the typo... Eddy applied them really well... Motown night, ABBA night, 50, 60 and 70s night, If you get the change do see the singer duo...great guitarist and great singer...Eva Cassidy tribute....

We leave in 13 days on this trip! I appreciate you taking your time to review! you have added to my anticipation and excitement. I only have one more Monday morning between me and vacation.

Us as well...getting excited

Sent from my iPad using Forums

ON the same cruise and totally agree. We had a fabulous cruise. Live music in several venues at various times. Crew terrific. We enjoyed Eddy the cruise director and especially Captain Leo for his sense of humor. They were both at the end of the gangway when we disembarked, which was a first for us. Great selection for breakfast and lunch in the ocean view Cafe and overall the MDR was very good.

Enjoy your cruise for those sailing on the Eclispe ithe near future.

We were on the 2 cruises prior to yours and had the same wonderful experience.

Eddy has really upped the entertainment on the Eclipse.

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the Passion Duo !!!

And I loved the addition of the concerts in Celebrity Central at 10:00 on several evenings.

ON the same cruise and totally agree. We had a fabulous cruise. Live music in several venues at various times. Crew terrific. We enjoyed Eddy the cruise director and especially Captain Leo for his sense of humor. They were both at the end of the gangway when we disembarked, which was a first for us. Great selection for breakfast and lunch in the ocean view Cafe and overall the MDR was very good.

Enjoy your cruise for those sailing on the Eclispe ithe near future.

In February the MDR was terrible. Maybe speaking to maitre d, writing to head office etc, improved it for you. We had to eat in OVC for most of the cruise.

Unless you have done few cruises with Celeb, then reviews are really very subjective.

Everything is subjective. These reviews are to be taken or left. I have cruised several time on Celebrity. I find the food good. I eat out at home regularly and compare cruise food with what I know. I know what I like and what I don’t. So unless you are wealthy and frequent high end restaurants, the food on Celebrity in most cases is good and worth the money.

Group of 4 (2 adults 50-55, 2 adults 75-80)

• Miami Sun Mar 4/2018
  • St Maarten 3/7
  • Antigua3/8
  • St Lucia3/9
  • Barbados 3/10
  • Bonaire 3/12
  • Curacao3/13
  • Aruba (overnight) 3/14, 15

St. Maarten

• Used water taxi to Philipsburg. Currently $7USD for all-day use. They now drop you off at the western end of the Philipsburg beach. In the past we were dropped off at the east end of the boardwalk. Beach is well serviced with many options for chairs umbrellas etc. Sept 2017 hurricane appears to have made the beach wider
  • Boardwalk is open but not 100%. There are signs of hotels using all but their top floor.
  • Stores on Voorstraat are open but still not 100%. My estimate is 70%. Based on price checking, St. Maarten is very willing to make buyers a good offer on jewellery, cosmetics, liquor etc
  • I cannot comment beyond the second hand information I received (from a local) that Orient beach is still not ready unless you can manage on your own with limited services. Sand, sea and waves + beauty with very little that existed previously.
  • They really appreciate our support as they rebuild.

Antigua

• Only walked into town and met very motivated drivers who are convinced I should let them take me to a great beach for “a great price” in USD. It can be intimidating when the full sales play book is thrown at you full throttle. I did not take any self-arranged tours so no useful information to provide.
  • If you are not comfortable with “the dealing”, use a ship excursion to a beach..
  • Sorry no info on either of the above

St. Lucia

• Nice easy port with tourist options for shopping. It is a short easy walk into town (15mins) and the level of beach transportation and island tour intensity sales is noticeably less than experienced in Antigua.
  • Took a 2hr local taxi tour to Rodney Bay (Reduit Beach). Beach is very nice and surrounding area is pleasant. Shopping Mall, recognizable USA based chain stores, beach bars, restaurants, facilities, chair rentals, calm water suitable for small children…very little beach sales pressure
  • Positive experience

Barbados

• Our ship docked at the far western end of the pier. There is a shuttle that will take you to the cruise terminal where shops, taxi stand and bars are located. This area is restricted so only cruise passengers, taxis (and staff) are allowed. The walk is approx. 1/2mile or 12-15mins from far west berth to the central terminal building
  • Took a 3.5hr ship tour of the island which was good. Had 3 stops that showed 3 different aspects of the island including the Eastern Atlantic side that has larger waves and some rock formations
  • We were allowed another half day to do our own thing. We took the$10USD one way taxi into town and walked around
  • Broad St has all the usual Caribbean jewelry stores. Large department store on north side of Broad street
  • Good beach is another 1mile away.. walkable but would recommend the ease of a taxi since you have to cross a bridge
  • Nice island with low pressure tourist sales

Bonaire

• Docked right in town with easy walk off.
  • Took a ship snorkeling tour to the island just off Bonaire..great snorkeling. The island and beach have no facilities so don’t expect anything. Drop off is dramatic to deep water and therefore presents great variety of fish species. However if you are not comfortable drifting with current consider other Catamaran trips that would take you to calmer waters.
  • On land there are many options that I only witnessed and did not experience.

Curacao

• Great dock location with multiple options to walk and explore. Low pressure sales and the walk through town is good.
  • No beach info as I did not take any tours or taxis

Aruba

• Docked right in town. Taxi rates are fixed and can pick you up in front of the ship. You might have a 5min walk to the gate that exits to town.
  • Multiple shopping options for one to lower you cash balance or increase the digits on your credit card statement. Fortunately my wife is very reasonable and I do not have to donate a kidney or sell a portion of my liver to pay any bills….I did find the prices higher than St Maarten but that might be a result of the motivation on St Maarten.
  • Took a GREAT Catamaran snorkel x 2, beach and lunch excursion that took us from the ship to the northwest tip of Aruba. Palm Beach ….Palm Pleasure tour staff, catamaran, safety, service is great… Highly recommend this tour operator. Palm beach is great and so is Eagle beach.
  • Taxi from the Port to Eagle beach is fixed at $13USD each way as of last week (March 2018)
  • Although night life in Aruba is great we were there mid-week and many “things to do” closed early even though the ship offered unrestricted access on and off the ship overnight
  • Eagle Beach is less commercial but has restaurants, chair/umbrella rentals and washroom facilities. It is only 5min taxi ride from the cruise port. Take 30SPF as you will roast out there.
  • Calm water very well suited to kids NO beach sales pressure
  • I would recommend Eagle Beach as a first choice for a beach adventure do to the proximity and less water craft blasting around the beach

Celebrity Review

• We consider it a fortunate experience to have been on the Celebrity Eclipse.
  • Staff service was excellent
  • Food options and variety over 14 days was wonderful
  • Cruise director Eddy is great and made the entertainment AMAZING. Although not a veteran cruiser I confidently say that this was the best entertainment I have experienced variety rom outside acts, in-house singers, dancers and acrobats
  • Live music was exceptions and that includes the house band and orchestra
  • Silent disco is a funny experience both participating and watching
  • The head Chef at the specialty restaurants (I call him the Soup God) “Omar” was exceptional. It could have been 100degrees outside and I would still look forward to the soup at dinner
  • Appetizers, entrees exceptional. As caffeine addicts we made great use of Café Al Bacio morning Americanos, cappuccinos and afternoon cold cappuccinos. Thankful for this as typical cruise coffee is not first thing we talk about after a cruise.
  • Captains was great, very approachable and good sense of humour.
  • Great trip no complaints except you feel a compulsion to repeat this ….. there was no great restaurant served breakfast for us this morning… back to reality

Cheers

Be Happy

We did the Jan.2017 version of this trip(did 3 of them)The food was a major disappointment. Specialty rest. were excellent as always. Food quality was so bad the Maître D made the ex. chef go around the MDR & apologize. this guy was from Jamaica. I feel he was NOT an experienced ex.chef. We own a food service bus. & were so disappointed we cancelled this Jan. & did Oceania. Food was phenomenal on the Riviera. So much so, we cancelled our 2019 14 day trip on Reflection to rebook for 14 days again on Riviera. The entertainment IS very good on Eclipse, but have noted declines from prior years. Those on Eclipse can verify how much better entertainment was on Eclipse...say back in 2015. The itinerary of ports is what we DO love about Celebrity. Riviera has a very similar set of port visits(incl. Cuba)After 2019 we'll probably venture back to Celebrity. The cost difference between the 2 lines is pretty stiff. About $1500pp more on Oceania. On Aruba for those who visit(especially overnight) We recommend dining at the "Chalet Suisse" Rest. best food we had on the 2017 trip on Eclipse. You'll find the majority of diners are from USA. some staying in hotels. Many others have "winter" homes there.

We did the Jan.2017 version of this trip(did 3 of them)The food was a major disappointment. Specialty rest. were excellent as always. Food quality was so bad the Maître D made the ex. chef go around the MDR & apologize. this guy was from Jamaica. I feel he was NOT an experienced ex.chef. We own a food service bus. & were so disappointed we cancelled this Jan. & did Oceania. Food was phenomenal on the Riviera. So much so, we cancelled our 2019 14 day trip on Reflection to rebook for 14 days again on Riviera. The entertainment IS very good on Eclipse, but have noted declines from prior years. Those on Eclipse can verify how much better entertainment was on Eclipse...say back in 2015. The itinerary of ports is what we DO love about Celebrity. Riviera has a very similar set of port visits(incl. Cuba)After 2019 we'll probably venture back to Celebrity. The cost difference between the 2 lines is pretty stiff. About $1500pp more on Oceania. On Aruba for those who visit(especially overnight) We recommend dining at the "Chalet Suisse" Rest. best food we had on the 2017 trip on Eclipse. You'll find the majority of diners are from USA. some staying in hotels. Many others have "winter" homes there.

We also experienced the same thing in the MDR, same appologies from the Maitre d' and the Chef....we sailed at the beginning of Feb...those that followed us perhaps benefited from our repeated comments to all concerned.

And as a result have cancelled several Celeb sailings in favour of Oceania and Viking O. Yes it will cost more,but not as much as a Suite or Aqua on Celeb. To get the quality of food you get on Ocenia and Viking you have to book Suites or Aqua on Celeb.

As soon as Luminae was created for Suite dining, MDR was no longer acceptable. I see now I am not alone in my opinion.

MWL58, thank you for posting and getting us excited for our April 1, same cruise. What beach did you go to in St. Maarten? Your sign off of "Be Happy" says it all, I'm sure we will have a wonderful cruise! I tend to always put the positive reviews before the negative ones. Thanks!

SORRY I MEAN TO SAY the LIVE MUSIC WAS EXCEPTIONAL ...no way was it an exception....String duo, orchestra, Sax player, Guitarist and singer etc etc ... GREAT ...sorry for the typo... Eddy applied them really well... Motown night, ABBA night, 50, 60 and 70s night, If you get the change do see the singer duo...great guitarist and great singer...Eva Cassidy tribute....

I knew what you meant to say lol. Thanks so much for your review. You packed a lot of very helpful information into a quite readable format. Cheers:)

We have cruised a lot but not yet on Celebrity. We are considering an Alaska sailing on Eclipse would like to know how much ballroom dancing there is, what the dance floors are like (wood?), and how crowded the dance floors are. Can anyone with recent experience on Eclipse give us some idea of what we might expect? Many thanks!

Thanks for your review, glad you had a good time. We are on a similar itinerary in Jan although on Reflection. What was the name of the snorkelling tour you took in Aruba? Did you see a lot of fish and sea life on it?

Thanks, Cathy

Celebrity Tour $89.99 provided by Palm Pleasure. The first stop has a lot of fish you will see varying sizes ...even saw "Nemo" clown fish. You are diving is approx 8-10feet. Many Parrot fish which are very colourful. The second stop is a old ship wreck and large fish but living around a large steel hull not natural reef. Have fun. Staff is excellent at preparing for each of the two snorkel stops. non-alcoholic drinks provided up to the end of the 2nd snorkel. Rum punch etc after..My parents who did not snorkel loved the boat trip and beach stop. Lunch was provided at Palm Beach. Hope this can work for you.

We have cruised a lot but not yet on Celebrity. We are considering an Alaska sailing on Eclipse would like to know how much ballroom dancing there is, what the dance floors are like (wood?), and how crowded the dance floors are. Can anyone with recent experience on Eclipse give us some idea of what we might expect? Many thanks!

The majority of dance activities are held on deck 14 forward in the Sky Lounge. Not all themes are ballroom. We had ABBA night, 50s,60s, 70s night, Motown Night, Silent Disco. Apologies I did not attend the classical nights.

Jazz and instrumental music is provided in the Ensemble Lounge but it is not suited for dancing due to space.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your enthusiastic review. We'll be doing the same cruise in April. I was excited before your review. Now I am doubly excited. My only regret is this is the last year Celebrity will offer this very special cruise.

Agree 100% I was ready to book for 2019 but Eclipse will be elsewhere... sucks darn it....14 days in the Eastern and Southern Caribbean is easy to take in March....

MWL58, thank you for posting and getting us excited for our April 1, same cruise. What beach did you go to in St. Maarten? Your sign off of "Be Happy" says it all, I'm sure we will have a wonderful cruise! I tend to always put the positive reviews before the negative ones. Thanks!

Due to the sand being deposited from Irma Sept2017 the beach is wide and Orient has only limited facilities we stayed on the Philipsburg beach. Many services, (chairs umbrellas etc ...including the water craft) are up and running. It was easy and convenient using the water taxi, having many options for food and shopping. Although not at the level of pre-Sept 2017 Irma hurricane, the beach is still good. Certainly better that the Noreaster hitting the US east coast......

Apologies.. Dance floor is wood and large enough to easily accommodate 30-40 dance pairs on Deck 14 Sky Lounge... I would not consider the space in the Ensemble Lounge suitable for dancing. The Grand Foyer does host a variety of evening events but space is limited.

Apologies.. Dance floor is wood and large enough to easily accommodate 30-40 dance pairs on Deck 14 Sky Lounge... I would not consider the space in the Ensemble Lounge suitable for dancing. The Grand Foyer does host a variety of evening events but space is limited.

Thx MWL58 for this info - very helpful!