Spiked (Drugged) Drinks Heads Up- George Town near North Terminal

ScottChez

You have seen the warnings about Mexico (also in the USA NewsPaper) and also often the cruise lines even warn you.

Beware of any strange mixed drinks on shore. Drugged or Spiked, you just never know.

For us it was . Spiked or Drugged Rum Mixtures sold near the North Terminal at Grand Cayman.

Dont remember where as the Four of Us barely made it back to the boat after just Two Drinks it was very very close to the North Terminal at Goerge Two (Carnival Freedom docs there sometimes).

Something was just not right for it to impact all Four of us (Two couples).

It was so bad we were actually the very Last ones back on the ship, none of us remember much but we know how bad we were from the accounts from others already back on the ship. We just remember having 2 drinks. Other friends not drink already back on board had to help us get to our rooms, they say they could of done anything to us as we were so out of it.

So just a reminder, all those warnings you get, they are true, try to ONLY drink from a Can and dont let any place in a strange town mix up some kind of drink or rum punch mixer.

YesI know there were a lot of I told you so warnings out there, but for some reason we all forgot about the warnings that day and messed up.

Almost caused us to miss the boat . PLUS we slept it off for the next day so its like missing a whole day of the cruise.

Wow. You should report it to the police, since this is SO far outside the Cayman norm. I've been coming to Cayman for an average total of six to eight weeks a year for over a decade, eating and drinking all over the island, and I've never experienced or even heard of anyone experiencing that before. And it would have definitely made the newspapers if something like that had happened to tourists...a tourist's backpack was stolen on the beach a couple weeks ago, and that made the papers. It's a very safe island...

out in the sun all day and dehydrated ......

not much of a drinker .....

all ya need is two stiff drinks to have the same effect - especially a big cold sweet fuu fuu drink made at a bar that pours heavy (they charge for it ... but HECK, I'm on vacation) ..... and once blurry at two, who knows how many were the actual total ....

not sayin' it is impossible to get tainted booze in CI ... but like book', I've spent a bunch of time in Cayman since the 80's and have NEVER experienced much less heard of something OP describes. What I described ..... most cruises I've been on ...... it is a regular thing.

story

Went several times to a place on Cayman Brac where the booze was included in the meal package. For each person they had a punch card at the bar and marked beer/wine/well/premium altho there were no charges. I'm sure this was simply inventory control, but I digress. Many times observed folks who on their last nite saw their card had many unused blocks and then made it a point to 'fill their card' ..... They were usually quite disappointed that when they filled a category the bar reply was to 'open a new card' ....

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe its moonshine. I feel like that may have been what happened in Mexico. I bet it's cheaper to make alcohol then buy, also it's probably a higher proof alcohol. Maybe it's someone trying to make more profit? Thanks for sharing though.

• 4 weeks later...
out in the sun all day and dehydrated ......

not much of a drinker .....

all ya need is two stiff drinks to have the same effect - especially a big cold sweet fuu fuu drink made at a bar that pours heavy (they charge for it ... but HECK, I'm on vacation) ..... and once blurry at two, who knows how many were the actual total ....

Capt BJ, there's no need to be snarky or to cast doubt on what the OP wrote. He was relating WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED TO HIM, not something he imagined because he forgot how many drinks he had. Glad you've been to GC hundreds of times, but this happened RECENTLY to him. I appreciate that he took the time to alert travelers that the tainted alcohol problem is not limited to tourist destinations in Mexico.

Capt BJ, there's no need to be snarky or to cast doubt on what the OP wrote. He was relating WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED TO HIM, not something he imagined because he forgot how many drinks he had. Glad you've been to GC hundreds of times, but this happened RECENTLY to him. I appreciate that he took the time to alert travelers that the tainted alcohol problem is not limited to tourist destinations in Mexico.

As I said above, an incident like this is SO out of the norm for Cayman. With hundreds of thousands of visitors a year, you'd think that if things like this were happening it would be in the newspapers. For example, today's online edition includes a story about a couple that had items stolen from their backpack while they were swimming, and a story about a tourist possibly being bitten by a fish. Really, anything tourist-related hits the papers immediately.

I'm not at all worried about being given tainted alcohol while visiting Cayman.

Edited by bookbabe

I'm joining bookbabe in saying I am simply stunned.

The Cayman Islands has a 9-1-1 system. Any cell phone that operates on the GSM standard can connect. It is a free call.

I urge anyone who suspects they have been served an adulterated drink to immediately call 911. Try to preserve any evidence and make note of who served you the drink and any information that might help determine how your drink was spiked.

This is almost unheard of in Cayman. Alarmingly there were unconfirmed reports floating around though that was all the way back in 2010. There was an unconfirmed allegation of tampering that arose during a criminal trial in 2015 related to an incident that occurred in 2013 though the presence of a drug was not supported by test results. I have not seen or heard of other such incidents in recent years and certainly none has been confirmed.

Cayman takes reports of any criminal activity against tourists VERY seriously. Targeting a tourist can be seen as an aggravating factor.

Maybe its moonshine. I feel like that may have been what happened in Mexico. I bet it's cheaper to make alcohol then buy, also it's probably a higher proof alcohol. Maybe it's someone trying to make more profit? Thanks for sharing though.

I would bet it's Grain alcohol/moonshine/Everclear. Bad news. I had a horrible experience in Key West with it, at 45 years old I had never been so drunk or so sick in my life. Beware there are many states in the US that serve it too! This is what is used at college parties that end in alcohol poisoning and other grim consequences. Always beware of what you are drinking and if it tastes like there is nothing in it....proceed with cation!

• 1 month later...

This happened to me once in Hawaii at a tiki bar at a well known hotel. Within 15 min of my first drink the room started to spin and I had to go and lay down in my room. I often wonder if it was spiked but do not know still to this day.

• 4 months later...

Agree with other posters here. This is FAR FAR FAR from the norm in Grand Cayman. I would suspect something else. The locals here are some of the nicest people we've come across and we've been coming here for 6+ years, two weeks at a time, been all over the island.

I once chatted up a random guy fishing and he offered to give me one of his catch!