Distillery and Brewery on my own?

Luvin' Cruisin'

I've found several tours that include Grand Cayman Rum Distillery and Beer Brewery - and then a stop at a beach. We're not beach people.... is it possible to do these two spots on our own? Taxi or bus? Pros and Cons? Best time of day to avoid the crowds?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Should be pretty simple to get a taxi or van to shuttle you to one or both. Bus ... is somewhat possible, but would involve a lot more walking. (I checked bus schedules and routes when planning a trip to the distillery myself; I ended up attaching it to a snorkeling tour.)

The largest crowd I saw at the Cayman Spirits Co. distillery was 6 people, who came in after I'd had my solo tour but while I was still drinking sample shots. The owner who was pouring my shots took them on a quick tour, then came back and started pouring more samples, basically resetting my sample count. He wasn't too bothered over it, and I was still waiting for my van to get back, so. On the other hand, I was going in the afternoon after snorkeling. I was told that there had been a larger crowd earlier in the morning, before they went to beaches. So I guess I'd recommend later morning or mid-afternoon there.

Don't know personally about Caybrew. I'm more a spirits sort, myself. :D

It is possible, and not particularly difficult, to do both in a day.

From the port I would walk the long block inland to Edward Street and then catch the bus from the depot next to the Library. The bus dispatcher can help you get the right bus but any Bodden Town (BT), East End (EE), or North Side (NS) bus will drive right past the Cayman Islands Brewery at 366 Shamrock Rd. Make that your first stop.

At the end of your brewery tour ask the kind folks to call you a taxi since the distillery, Cayman Spirits Company at 65 Bronze Rd, is not on a bus route and walking from the nearest stop requires dodging traffic on a very busy road. Call for a taxi to the beach or back to the port at the end of the tour if your driver did not wait for you.

From the port I would walk the long block inland to Edward Street and then catch the bus from the depot next to the Library. The bus dispatcher can help you get the right bus but any Bodden Town (BT), East End (EE), or North Side (NS) bus will drive right past the Cayman Islands Brewery at 366 Shamrock Rd. Make that your first stop.

At the end of your brewery tour ask the kind folks to call you a taxi since the distillery, Cayman Spirits Company at 65 Bronze Rd, is not on a bus route and walking from the nearest stop requires dodging traffic on a very busy road. Call for a taxi to the beach or back to the port at the end of the tour if your driver did not wait for you.

This would be my route suggestion too!

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know what the price is for tours when just walking in to request one without a booked excursion tour??? For both the brewery & distillery?

We took the local bus on our own and visited the Cayman Islands Brewery last December. It was a great time! Bus was I believe $5pp R/T and the tour was $10pp. We got there right after they opened and got the first tour of the day. No one else showed up so it was the lady giving the tour and the two of us. Short tour (maybe 25-30 minutes) but we got right up to all the equipment and even got to meet one of the brewmasters and chat with him. We were given 5-6 little sample chips and the sample glasses were probably 6oz at least. We were allowed to take them on the tour, and they even filled our glasses right off the line during the tour with fresh beer.

Afterwards, we hung around the main taproom, finished our samples and picked up a couple glasses. Easy bus ride back caught right out front but they will call a taxi for you if you're heading somewhere else. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Any idea on taxi fare back to the ship?

• 2 weeks later...
I've found several tours that include Grand Cayman Rum Distillery and Beer Brewery - and then a stop at a beach. We're not beach people.... is it possible to do these two spots on our own? Taxi or bus? Pros and Cons? Best time of day to avoid the crowds?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Which tours did you find? I am actually lookingfor the tours with the stop at the beach and can't seem to find any. Can you please share what you found. TIA