Adonia - Azamara Pursuit

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!


Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:03 AM.
#1
Devon, UK
4,386 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Just had some advertising re Azamara cruises. I can't believe they are advertising Adonia (Pursuit) as a Brand New Ship! What rubbish. And my word they are expensive cruises. Inside cabin £3656 for 11 nights!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean



#2
United Kingdom
228 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Yes, I had a look at Azamara's website the other day, and my impression was that the cost of cruises on Pursuit was at least double what P&O would charge for an equivalent cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JH






#3
Cambridgeshire
2,560 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
If you compare Princess Cruises on Pacific Princess prices they are much more expensive than their other ships cruise fares. It is simply to do with the lack of economies of running a small size ship. When P&O ran Adonia, sister to Pacific Princess the P&O cruise prices were always surprisingly inexpensive. In the final analysis P&O probably were not making a reasonable profit from Adonia.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess, Navigator of the Seas
#5
UK
53 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Having recently sailed on Azamara Journey I can agree with you that yes it is expensive BUT very nice. Gratuities and port shuttles are included in the price. Also you get drinks included with a nice selection of wine and spirits although you do have to pay extra for high end drinks. Speciality dining restaurants ( 2) are excellent but carry a surcharge unlike those on Oceania Cruises. The 2016 refurbishment of the Azamara ships is extremely nice although we did feel we should have brought our slippers to walk on those carpets. Bathrooms of course on this old ship are small unlike the fabulous bathrooms in all grade of cabins on the Oceania Riviera and Marina. We have booked a cruise on the (new to Azamara) Pursuit however we are still very much looking forward to our next cruise on P&O Aurora.
#6
76 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Having sailed with both azamara and pando there is a clear difference in favour of azamara. Yes cruises on pursuit are more expensive, the one I have just booked is about 50% more than a pando cruise and for that I am happy with the benefits azamara offer. I am also happy with how azamara have marketed pursuit. But if you look on the azamara pages there are just as many people unhappy with the direction azamara are taking as on this page complaining about pando.
I would not look on the azamara Web page for prices though. Much better through a UK agent.
Happy cruising everyone.
,



Sent from my SM-T280 using Forums mobile app
#7
Batehaven, Australia
10,084 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by jeanlyon
Just had some advertising re Azamara cruises. I can't believe they are advertising Adonia (Pursuit) as a Brand New Ship! What rubbish. And my word they are expensive cruises. Inside cabin £3656 for 11 nights!!
Crazy prices, Albeit complimentary grog on Azamara.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
#8
The Moon
247 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
Originally posted by alanbab
Having recently sailed on Azamara Journey I can agree with you that yes it is expensive BUT very nice. Gratuities and port shuttles are included in the price. Also you get drinks included with a nice selection of wine and spirits although you do have to pay extra for high end drinks. Speciality dining restaurants ( 2) are excellent but carry a surcharge unlike those on Oceania Cruises. The 2016 refurbishment of the Azamara ships is extremely nice although we did feel we should have brought our slippers to walk on those carpets. Bathrooms of course on this old ship are small unlike the fabulous bathrooms in all grade of cabins on the Oceania Riviera and Marina. We have booked a cruise on the (new to Azamara) Pursuit however we are still very much looking forward to our next cruise on P&O Aurora.
To @Alanbab, agree with what you said above as we have also experienced cruising with Azamara , and with P&O. Generally, Azamara usually caters to a different market than P&O, and the former competes with the likes of Oceania and Viking Ocean cruise lines. Someone commented the difference in fares between cruising on P&O and Azamara . (Without meaning to offend anyone in saying this), this is not surprising as it is almost like comparing flying Economy Class and Business Class, so there is bound to be a difference in fares.

The ex-Adonia, and soon to be Azamara Persuit, will probably be "re-mastered" and refurbished and upgraded in its accommodation.

Savy cruisers here probably know that there are different levels of cruise lines with different prices to suit different markets. Cruise lines are not all the same. Some cruisers would know that all cruise lines offer special deals, so if you are "shocked" at the rack-rate fares quoted to cruise with Azamara,if you are smart, you could probably be able to get a special deal and not pay the full fare.

Of course, Carnival Corporation, the parent company of P&O also have their premium class brand cruise line too, in the form of Seabourn. Seabourn is probably even more expensive than Azamara (in general) but they would argue that the quality they (Seabourn) offers is even higher. We wouldn't know because we could not afford to cruise with Seabourn, even if there were special deals!!!
#9
Cornwall
172 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Thanks to our Adonia cancellation we looked around for another small ship. We are going on Silver Wind (only 375 pax) and we got a bargain price from our TA. Flying premium economy with Virgin to Barbados, a night in the Hilton then seven days in a balcony suite on Silver Wind and then a further three days in the Hilton before we fly home and we are still paying less than the quoted price for 11 nights on pursuit. Two weeks to go and I can't wait.

Peter and Jenny
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature










#10
The Moon
247 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
Originally posted by Zombatar
Thanks to our Adonia cancellation we looked around for another small ship. We are going on Silver Wind (only 375 pax) and we got a bargain price from our TA. Flying premium economy with Virgin to Barbados, a night in the Hilton then seven days in a balcony suite on Silver Wind and then a further three days in the Hilton before we fly home and we are still paying less than the quoted price for 11 nights on pursuit. Two weeks to go and I can't wait.

Peter and Jenny
Good for you. It shows it's always good to shop around -or have a fantastic and informative travel agent.

We learnt that the hard way when we first started cruising on our holidays. On our first cruise, we found that some fellow passengers who were staying in identical balcony cabins for much , much less than the price we had paid for ours. We felt like some kind of "suckers". Since then, we always look for good deals, compare with the competition for similar cruises and the fares they charge, look at what "extras" are thrown in free, and try not to pay the full rack rate/brochure price.

Silversea Cruises (which operate the Silver Wind) probably offers an even higher level of "luxury" than Azamara (Persuit). They are competing with the likes of Seabourn, Crystal, etc., etc. , the "ultra" luxury cruise lines. That is quite a jump up from Adonia to Silver Wind! You've got a great deal. Enjoy.