Boston Questions

Nrknits

How long of a walk is it from where the ship docks to Quincy Market or the North End (I know thre is a shuttle, we enjoy walking), is it doable? The North End, is it just restuarants and a bakery or other interesting things to see? We've seen Quincy Market area before and we're looking for some other interesting areas to walk around, would love suggestions. Thank you.

According to Google, it is a 3 mile walk. The points of interest in the North End are the Paul Revere House and Old North Church. You walk part of the Freedom Trail (don't know your timeframe). You can also cross Boston Common and head toward Newbury Street area. Water taxis are available to get to the Constitution.

What are you interested in seeing?

How long of a walk is it from where the ship docks to Quincy Market or the North End (I know thre is a shuttle, we enjoy walking), is it doable? The North End, is it just restuarants and a bakery or other interesting things to see? We've seen Quincy Market area before and we're looking for some other interesting areas to walk around, would love suggestions. Thank you.

There is sooo much to see on foot in Boston that I would not want to waste my walking time on the area the ship docks. It is pretty far out and industrial. We took a cab to the public gardens and walked the freedom trail. You could do that all day! My opinion would be to take a cab, they have them right there and make the most of this stop. You will get a good walk in and so much more. If you still are up for that extra walk you could always do it on the way back if time permits.

• 4 weeks later...

A cab to Quincy Market, Fanuel Hall is about 12 bucks. We walked the Freedom Trail up to the North End and I thought that was a really interesting part of town. Very European. We also loved the USS Constitution. Beautiful ship!

Boston is a very walkable city from one end to the other. Depending upon your stamina and condition, there is so much to see and do on foot.

Definitely special to see USS Constitution, Paul Revere House, Walk the Freedom Trail.......

We were just at a wedding on a private charter boat and the backdrop for the wedding held on the boat was the USS Constitution, stunning Zachem Bridge and the Bunker Hill Monument. It was a beautiful day and the views were stunning.

• 1 month later...
A cab to Quincy Market, Fanuel Hall is about 12 bucks. We walked the Freedom Trail up to the North End and I thought that was a really interesting part of town. Very European. We also loved the USS Constitution. Beautiful ship!

Hi

I went on the tour of the USS Constitution recently and made this

The tours take 20 minutes, run every half hour and are free, but you must take approved photo I.D. to get past the airport-style security check. Allow a little extra time to have a look at the WWII destroyer Cassin Young, which is is docked at Pier 1 in Charlestown Navy Yard (Constitution is at Pier 2)

• 5 months later...
Someone had mentioned a podcast to help us we walk the Freedom trail. Does anyone remember or could tell me where to download it on to my Ipod? Thx. Peggy

Hi Peggy

I walked it listening to a superb podcast called “BEN’S BOSTON FREEDOM TRAIL”. This guided audio tour is free to download from iTunes. Produced by Ben Zotto, it lasts 55 minutes and each destination has its own chapter, making it easy to navigate as you walk along. And I had a go at filming it :

Part 1 Boston Common to King's Chapel

The Freedom Trail destinations in this first one are Boston Common, Massachusetts State House, Park Street Church, the Old Granary Burying Ground and King's Chapel.

Part 2 Boston Latin to Paul Revere's house

Boston Latin public school, Benjamin Franklin Statue, Old Corner Bookstore, Old South Meeting House, Old State House, Site of Boston Massacre, Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market and Paul Revere's house

Part 3 Old North Church to the Bunker Hill Monument

Old North Church, Copp's Hill Burying Ground, the U.S.S. Constitution and finally the Bunker Hill Monument (on Breed's Hill )

That last part is the one that requires most walking as you go out to Charlestown, a neighbourhood of Boston.

USS Constitution

The 20-minute tour of the great ship is free and takes place every 30 minutes but you need photo ID to get past the security check so take your passport with you.

The whole thing is about 3 miles, and there's plenty of other things to see along the way.

All the best, Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Archived