Almost sold out cruise still offering guarantees

oskidunker

I am on the 10/30 Pacific Princess cruise from Venice. All the rooms are sold out except 1 mini suite. Yesterday you could also book a mini to be assigned later in a different location.

Just wondering what they are doing. Di they still have alot of Mini's unsold? If so, why would they not show the room numbers?

Are they trying to overbook in anticipation of some cancellations?

Never seen this scenario before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I learned a few yrs ago that as the departure date gets closer cruise lines ask travel agents to return unsold cabins. That said I don't know what else they get. Besides guaranteed cabin reservations can get you nicely upgraded but that is getting rarer.:)

I am on the 10/30 Pacific Princess cruise from Venice. All the rooms are sold out except 1 mini suite. Yesterday you could also book a mini to be assigned later in a different location.

Just wondering what they are doing. Di they still have alot of Mini's unsold? If so, why would they not show the room numbers?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've learned from these forums that cruise lines' booking management systems are somewhat arcane, and if the cruise is bookable in different forms (such as cruise only or cruise plus land tour, or part of a B2B, or marketed as a 14 day plus as a portion of a 29 day, or e.g. Houston TA with a stop at Ft Lauderdale that's embarkation only), they have to pre-divide the ship into some rooms for this booking option, some rooms for that booking option, etc. As they get down to date, they have flexibility if the other portion(s) aren't full.

It's very common......

Just because it shows sold or looks close to sold out means nothing.

Holding cabins for b2b's is only part of their procedure.

Princess keeps many cabins behind the scenes. They do this on every ship in the fleet and every cruise to maximize sales/capacity.

I think Princess is trying to create a perceived shortage when in reality it is likely that many mini suites remain uinsold . By listing one you can pick mid forward and one mid after they will assign later it probably convinces anyone considering booking that theybetter book now at the very high preceived shortage price. My guess is that there are many balcony guarantees that have not yet been assigned and they dont want to move those people into mini suites for nothing since there were not too many takers on the $499 pp upsell.I would guess soon they will be trying something else to solve this.There has been no movement in almost a week.

Of course some people with or without insurance may cancell in the next month

I think Princess is trying to create a perceived shortage when in reality it is likely that many mini suites remain uinsold . By listing one you can pick mid forward and one mid after they will assign later it probably convinces anyone considering booking that theybetter book now at the very high preceived shortage price. My guess is that there are many balcony guarantees that have not yet been assigned and they dont want to move those people into mini suites for nothing since there were not too many takers on the $499 pp upsell.I would guess soon they will be trying something else to solve this.There has been no movement in almost a week.

Of course some people with or without insurance may cancell in the next month

Well they are in business.

IMO.......

The average booking passenger perceives nothing, they look and they book. :o