What to do on a Sea Day?

janabm81

So, granted I am not a first time cruiser but I thought this would help them as well.

What does everyone do during Sea Days??? (Especially if you're not into gambling or being at the pool allllll day.)

Thanks!:)

I normally grab a newsletter and see what activities are scheduled for the day and attend the things that I am interested in. I don't travel by myself so sometimes may attend an event or two just because those that I am with want me to join them.

During downtimes, I may grab lunch or a snack, catch a game of minigolf, jog around the track, volleyball(depends on the ship) or find a lounge chair to people watch, read...etc...Once that is done, it is normally close to dinner time. Get showered and dressed for that and then off to evening activities (shows, catch an outdoor movie, relax in a lounge listening to music...etc)

I too am not a gambler or a fan of sitting around all day, but find a way to stay busy.

Well...I AM at the pool almost all day!!! But, you certainly don't have to be! Bring a good book and find a quiet spot! Take this opportunity to eat lunch in the dining room....it's not a "rushed" affair, dress is casual and it will use up some time! Or, take a nap! Stop in a bar or lounge and chat to others! Check out the shops onboard or hit the gym or spa! Eat some more!

Basically, just relax...that's what vacations are for!

I have an Ipad, so I always have something to do...read, watch a movie, play games, (I love Role playing games), listen to music.

I am also a crafter...I just started a cross stitch Christmas stocking for my new granddaughter, so my upcoming 29 days on the Carnival Spirit repo to Australia, with lots of sea days, this will keep me busy.

I do not gamble, and I'm only good with about an hour or 2 by the pool, but luckily, pretty much the things I enjoy at home, I can enjoy on the ship...now, if I could just bring my gardening with me...LOL!

Debbie

We join the ship's choir, which rehearses on sea days then sings round the ship; art classes and lectures, films and drama class. We don't often go to hot spots, so it's the indoor pool, or else the adult's in the late afternoon.

Mostly I sit and talk to strangers!

Jo.

Gee, there is so much to do on the ship that you'd need to be in several places at once. Yes, not everyone wants to lie around the pool and veg out. You've got the gym and spa, team trivia, outdoor sports like basketball, table tennis and volleyball. There are lectures and arts and crafts, first run movies, wine tasting, cooking classes. yoga, spinning classes, water aerobics. The list goes on and on. If you are bored on a cruise ship then a cruise isn't your type of vacation. Best to pic a ship that has the type of activities you like to do. For me I really enjoyed the heated salt water indoor solarium pool and whirlpool spa. Don't forgot all those great meals which takes up a lot of time. :) Sometime just being in your cabin relaxing, reading, or watch is TV is nice as you feel the ship rock back and forth. Also, just sitting and socializing at the pool bar is fun too!

I love staring out to sea and playing I Spy, platting the three hairs on my chest, darning my knee length white socks so look good with my sandles, oh and one person Snakes and Ladders which takes me ages to win (those darn snakes are slippery) ;)

Andy :cool:

I'd do a couple of things depending on weather.

I'd pull up a deck chair, get some Sun, and maybe read a book or magazine while at it.

I'd walk the ship and check it out and take photos of it.

Usually I did both, along with maybe watching something on TV in the cabin.

I also, when offered on the ship, used to watch the Park West art auctions. Boy, talk about suckers getting taken!! A fool and his money is soon parted!!!!

It all depends on how I'm feeling.

I check out the daily newsletter and see what peaks my interest. I've done the trivia contests, ships tours, and dance classes. Learned how to mix drinks, play games and viewed a fashion show.

If I'm exploring the ship on my own, I'll try to find those little hidden spots they talk about, or find a quiet less populated place to hang out.

I love the dessert and wine tastings.

If the weather is cooperating, I like to walk around the top deck and get some exercise. I've usually got a camera and a pair of binoculars with me and take the opportunity to check out the nearest speck of land or ships on the horizon. There are lots of photo ops to be found.

Did I mention the dessert and wine tastings? ;)

I also have a Nook Tablet loaded with books, magazines, videos and games, so I'm sure to find something that will amuse me.

I sometimes budget a little spa time in as well. They can be a bit expensive on "At Sea" days, but if I can afford it, and feel like it, I'll go for it.

There is NEVER a bad time for a nap. :)

Oh, and don't forget those dessert and wine tastings. :D

There are lots of things to do while you're cruising "at sea"!

Breakfast

Walk around ship

Gym

Shower

Pool/Read/People watch/Games/Demos/Contests/Drinking/Nap/Lunch

Shower again for dinner

Dinner/shows

Piano bar or night club

Sleep

I look at the capers to determine what I *really* want to do/see and make plans to go to those things.

You can do as much or as little as you like. I remember my first cruise I was irritated because I came to relax and there was so much going on that I wanted to see and I had a mini-breakdown because I was overwhelmed. Then I realized this is *my* vacation...I can do something or I can sit on my butt...my choice and whatever feels right at the time.

On our upcoming cruise, I'm planning to hone my skills on the putt-putt golf course, so that, maybe for once, my daughter won't beat me at this thing!:D

Note that it can be quite windy at putt-putt on the ship on sea days. You have at least a 20 MPH wind, probably more.

Go to pool.

Jump in pool, get out of pool, sit on pool edge, order a beer, drink a beer, jump in pool.

Repeat often.

I alter this slightly:

Jump in pool, get out of pool, drink many beers, read a book, watch the water, watch people fall on their face at the surfing simulator (if available), drink many more beers, pass out at edge of bed at 4pm

(to be fair, that last part was after a port day in Haiti when I drank a ton).

So, granted I am not a first time cruiser but I thought this would help them as well.

What does everyone do during Sea Days??? (Especially if you're not into gambling or being at the pool allllll day.)

Thanks!:)

Relaxing and working on my review are two of my favorite sea day activities.

Note that it can be quite windy at putt-putt on the ship on sea days. You have at least a 20 MPH wind, probably more.

Not if the wind is blowing in the same direction as the ship is moving.

• Breakfast
  • Walk around ship
  • Gym
  • Shower
  • Pool/Read/People watch/Games/Demos/Contests/Drinking/Nap/Lunch
  • Shower again for dinner
  • Dinner/shows
  • Piano bar or night club
  • Sleep

I look at the capers to determine what I *really* want to do/see and make plans to go to those things.

Not sure if my daily routine is much different, but I love getting up early and knocking about an hour or more walking or a light jog. It's cooler, less crowded and a blast people watching while you do it. A sunrise at sea as you burn a couple of calories!

Next, head for a tray of breakfast and find a place outdoors to watch those going to bed and those waking up. This is better than any show watching people in need of coffee as a cure for other indulgences.

Take the daily schedule to breakfast and highlight what you really don't want to miss. Most often you will find about a two hour window at least once in the day to get a real nap in. I've been treated for skin cancer twice due to surfing as a kid and wade fishing Galveston bay to stay out of the sun

Go to some of the daytime activities you might not attend. Cooking demonstrations, auctions, bingo, etc.

eReaders are so cheap that for about $80 bucks you can get a Kindle and download a book or two for around $10 each or get a few for free. Love the Kindles for cruising.

Take a netbook or laptop computer and edit your digital images from the cruise up to that point. This is a personal favorite, and we give the ones of the ship and ports to our table mates on CD the last night.

Trust me, you will find something to do. After nearly 20 cruises with my wife and about a dozen with family I have yet to spend a day sitting in a lounger sunning.

I love Sea Days. They are the most relaxing and enjoyable for me. Last time we went with a large group of people and had so much fun doing nothing. We have digital scavenger hunts, sit on balcony and watch the ocean or find things with the binoculars (unless neighbors are puffing on cancer sticks & keep us from being able to breathe:mad:), play ping pong, basketball, mini golf, learn to dance, do crafts, play cards, watch movies, read, nap, sleep in, just walk around the ship watching others, watching drunks have a good time or act stupid. I wouldn't want to go on a cruise without those Sea Days; they are awesome & the most relaxing of all.

Well...truthfully my favorite thing to do is sit in the sun and read while sipping on a frozen something :cool: But, if I'm up and around I might get in the pool for a bit and/or try the slide(s), or play windy mini-golf. Inside, I might get a speciality coffee, listen to the loungy music and read some more or maybe play cards. Maybe check out the gym. I don't really go in for the organized activities, but I usually find plenty to do.

Archived