Local specialties & handmade items?

Joby

I am in the midst of reading/researching about local specialties and handmade items from the ports on our upcoming cruise (Aruba, Curacao, Grenada, Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Kitts, Tortola). I love to buy local, unique, reasonably priced things from untouristy shops.

Examples might include: small paintings, jewelry, foods, cloth art, pottery, music...

I've read that Curacao's uniques might include "Curacao" liqueur, "Amstel" beer, dolls, square nickels, ceramic replicas of local buildings.

Any other suggestions and/or places to shop?

Joby I don't know if you are interested, but every time I go to Curacao I go across the swinging bridge to one of the shops and buy a dining room table cloth. Very reasonably prices (though not as cheap as when I was there about 10 years ago) but still wonderful. I think my last purchase was about 20 dollars and that included the napkins. This table cloth is white with a very colorful ring of fruit, apples and oranges around the edge. I'm using mine this year for thanksgiving dinner. Hope this helps.

Now don't buy out the store! Save some for me. Because I'm headed there in March.

the table clothes make great gifts as well. We are going to pick up a couple for Christmas gifts, but if you are going to Aruba, I think the prices might be a little better. Regardless the are great deals. I got one last year in St Thomas, not nearly as cheap as on the Dutch Islands. NMnita

the table clothes make great gifts as well. We are going to pick up a couple for Christmas gifts, but if you are going to Aruba, I think the prices might be a little better. Regardless the are great deals. I got one last year in St Thomas, not nearly as cheap as on the Dutch Islands. NMnita

NewmexicoNita - thanks for the tip about the table clothes in Aruba. I did not know about that - never even shopped for them.

I will tell you that the best sandles I ever bought I bought right there within a block of the port in Aruba. The lasted maybe five years. DH just threw his out. I have feet problems and believe me they were wonderful.

I love these boards. You never know what info you are going to pick up that will help!

Archived