Uber fiasco in FLL!!!y device and it just turned. And turned. Wouldn't connect.

kiminey65

okayyyyy, I ran into big problems while in FLL yesterday. I am traveling with a group of 4 adults am feeling responsible for our group. So I've been diligent with research & had it all mapped out. I planned an Uber XL pick up to deliver us to Las Olas Blvd. plan B was Lyft.

As soon as our luggage arrived I activated my device it turned and turned without activating. I switched gears to try Lyft & it wouldn't open past it's bright green face. Nothing. Nadia. I tried shutting wifi off again to no avail. I walked to both fat ends of the outside airport. What the Hey!!

We finally just settled on a big taxi & made it safely to our destination. Today, I opened Uber & typed in the Port of Miami cruise terminal & promptly was hit with a price ranging from $110!!! Eve

1. Something is wrong with your phone

2. Are you looking at the price for Uber Black limo service? Did you scroll the selection to UberXL and the price was $110? Did you see a warning about surge pricing? Typical UberXL fare from FLL to POM is about $70

Seems like you had no internet. Especially if you are trying to use WiFi and not your mobile data.... Lyft and Uber wouldn't work, naturally, because you had no internet. Most people know how to connect their phones to data and wouldn't have the same problem. For you, it seems this was easily solved by getting in a taxi.

That is not a fiasco. Hey, at least you tried. [emoji3] this is why I like pre-arranging for a private car service to pick us up. No guess work. From FLL to Miami is $70 plus tip ($88 total) for up to four people. No headache. No hassle. No worrying about taxi drivers getting stuck in traffic while the meter keeps running. No worrying about if Uber is surge pricing, and not having to do hotel pickup and drop-offs at multiple hotels with some shuttle companies. Have done all the above, and private transportation is my very favorite way to travel.

That is not a fiasco. Hey, at least you tried. [emoji3] this is why I like pre-arranging for a private car service to pick us up. No guess work. From FLL to Miami is $70 plus tip ($88 total) for up to four people. No headache. No hassle. No worrying about taxi drivers getting stuck in traffic while the meter keeps running. No worrying about if Uber is surge pricing, and not having to do hotel pickup and drop-offs at multiple hotels with some shuttle companies. Have done all the above, and private transportation is my very favorite way to travel.

What car service do you use? We are flying into Miami 3 days early, staying in FLL then setting sail from Miami. We were planning to use Uber but I like the private transportation idea better.

What car service do you use? We are flying into Miami 3 days early, staying in FLL then setting sail from Miami. We were planning to use Uber but I like the private transportation idea better.

Larry’s Limos.

We used them for pickup from FLL to a Miami hotel and again for pickup at the Port of Miami for drop off at a hotel in Ft Laud.

I need to correct my statement above. The cost was $88 for three, which included tip and I believe a $5 access pickup fee from the airport. That quote was for party of three, a sedan. A stretch limo showed up anyway, so we could have had 6 LOL

On the return, we booked a stretch limo for our party of four

And it was approx $130 for four, which included tip and port access fee, but there was a slight extra charge for the Express Lane, like $3.00 or something.

We Ubered to the port from our hotel in Miami, however, which is very easy in Miami. It was $11.66 for an Uber XL, plus tip.

Larry’s will charge around $45-$60 for the same ride, I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.I am the OP. You are all correct that it wasn't "really" a fiasco. Also I accidentally sent the message here before I could edit it, I could see it was a jumbled mess, lol. What I did that day was I took my device out of Airplane mode. It also was using DATA. My service is AT&T. The couple with us has Verizon. I am not sure why it kept turning (thinking) without activating but it was with all our devices Iphones. And yes, a quick taxi got us where we needed to be. I do not remember my Uber app saying anything about a surge price. And it did not offer me UberX. I couldn't choose it anyway with 4 of us. It also didn't show me Pool pricing. Weird...

We had a wonderful cruise for 11 days on a partial transit Panama Canal cruise. A nice tease to justify the full transit in the future. Yesterday in Miami was quite nuts with 6 ships in Port and some big event going on in Miami somewhere. I activated Uber again and it started at $80.00 up to $95.00 that was with lowest option being UberXL. We were going to go with it, but I wanted to be sure we were outside & established at the correct location. This place was its normal crazy self. We kept calm & ended up getting a price of $20.00 each on a FLL bound shuttle that we happened upon. I guess my plan will always be to have prior knowledge of all the choices, then make up my mind.This site has very valuable information, but that our devices wouldn't activate outside baggage claim still has me wondering what wasn't right...

The beautiful weather and excursions we enjoyed couldn't possibly ruin our cruise experience. I just wondered if there is a specific area an Uber ride should go toward.

Hi everyone.I am the OP. You are all correct that it wasn't "really" a fiasco. Also I accidentally sent the message here before I could edit it, I could see it was a jumbled mess, lol. What I did that day was I took my device out of Airplane mode. It also was using DATA. My service is AT&T. The couple with us has Verizon. I am not sure why it kept turning (thinking) without activating but it was with all our devices Iphones. ......

You did the right thing in trying other locations to see if your phone would connect. It likely didn't have a signal or was waiting to connect to an available wifi service. Two quick suggestions if this happens to you in the future:

1. Turn off just the wifi on your phone, to force the phone to use your ATT data service. Sometimes your phone will recognize a wifi source, and be sitting there waiting for you to connect to it (which at most airports requires you to go through a web page to connect). this can also lead to some apps waiting for a wifi connection as well, because they are optimized to use lower cost or free wifi over your more expensive cell data plan.

2. If that doesn't work, shut your phone down completely. Not just "Restart" but actually "Power off" and then power on again.

Or, as you did, just jump in a cab. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again everyone. I am the OP and find myself resurrecting this thread because of a new update:

I will be booking a cruise tomorrow as a late option to celebrate my mother's 75th birthday. It will be just the two of us. She trusts my decisions on hotels, flights etc. my " problem" is Id like to choose a place that is near the ocean & it therefore won't have an automatic shuttle choice. So, I am naturally worried that the same thing will happen to me again with an Uber.

I know it's not a huge deal, but I like my ducks in a row when I plan. Is there a better place than another to go towards once we are outside the FLL terminal? Is it wise to just power off my device in the air instead of just putting it in airplane mode? I appreciate all advice, and of course can call a cab. I know this. But with going toward Miami Beach I don't want a huge surprise with a taxi.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello again everyone. I am the OP and find myself resurrecting this thread because of a new update:

I will be booking a cruise tomorrow as a late option to celebrate my mother's 75th birthday. It will be just the two of us. She trusts my decisions on hotels, flights etc. my " problem" is Id like to choose a place that is near the ocean & it therefore won't have an automatic shuttle choice. So, I am naturally worried that the same thing will happen to me again with an Uber.

I know it's not a huge deal, but I like my ducks in a row when I plan. Is there a better place than another to go towards once we are outside the FLL terminal? Is it wise to just power off my device in the air instead of just putting it in airplane mode? I appreciate all advice, and of course can call a cab. I know this. But with going toward Miami Beach I don't want a huge surprise with a taxi.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The most stress free way is to just hire a private car service to pick you up. That way there are no surprises and no stress. [emoji3]

Realistically, if surge pricing is in effect you could be looking at surge pricing with a uber, so that 35-40 ride could end up costing you not much less than the $70 prearranged ride plus tip to Miami

Especially if you have an elder with you, it simplifies the process. Otherwise it can become so convoluted. When my husband and I travel we rough it. When we take our elderly mom we pay the extra for convenience. [emoji4]

We’ve used Larry’s Limos in the past twice and have been so pleased with their service.

You did the right thing in trying other locations to see if your phone would connect. It likely didn't have a signal or was waiting to connect to an available wifi service. Two quick suggestions if this happens to you in the future:

1. Turn off just the wifi on your phone, to force the phone to use your ATT data service. Sometimes your phone will recognize a wifi source, and be sitting there waiting for you to connect to it (which at most airports requires you to go through a web page to connect). this can also lead to some apps waiting for a wifi connection as well, because they are optimized to use lower cost or free wifi over your more expensive cell data plan.

2. If that doesn't work, shut your phone down completely. Not just "Restart" but actually "Power off" and then power on again.

Or, as you did, just jump in a cab. :D

Thats exactly what I was going to say. I have had the same problem here at home and just recently found out about the "shut down"

Thank you ..