Possibilities of a pier at GSC?

razor7_us

For years, the informed and un-informed have preached and speculated as to why NCL has never built a pier at GSC to eliminate the disappointment shared by many of missing this port and having to overnight in Nassau. Well, apparently RCI has “cracked the code” on how and is planning on a pier at Coco Cay as part of a multimillion dollar makeover of their private island. To all those who have inquired in the past as to why not and been told by those who are "oh so knowledgeable of all things NCL" that it is because of: (choose one)

I have it on good authority that……..

Impossible due to the reef

Not ecologically sound and not ecofriendly to the marine life

Against Bahamian law (that was an actual post)

Not feasible due to the extensive dredging

ect, etc, etc

What say you now? Apparently it can be done and it is being done and since the two islands share the same footprint and are virtually yards apart why not?

I can only hope that whatever RCI is doing can be mirrored by NCL. I have been lucky thus far and have visited the island 4 out of 4 times and would sure hate to miss it on a futurecruise.

Those who cruise to Castaway Cay on Disney are always posting how they wish it was a tender port since it has to be missed due to the ship not being able to dock at the pier due to the sea conditions. We missed it 2 of my 3 cruises there. It’s naive and ignorant to think ships can dock simply because there is a pier.

That said, I’d love a pier because it’s easier and more convenient than tendering. But I don’t have any misconceptions that ships wouldn’t still miss the port sometimes. Others shouldn’t either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just because the two islands "share the same footprint" ( I guess you mean the same sea mount) and are "yards apart" does not mean that the underwater topography is similar, nor that the two docks would be similar in cost. A quick look at Google maps satellite view shows that from the entrance to the lagoon/harbor where the tenders go to deep water is less than 500 feet on Coco Cay, while on GSC it is 3 times that far. Or they could dredge, which isn't cheap, and needs to be redone every few years. A 1500 foot pier jutting straight out into the water with no protective jetties would likely be liable to storm damage, as well as being costly. So, its all about money, and whether the additional expense of a larger pier or a dredged channel will return a better revenue than tendering.

And, RCI probably has a good simulation that says they will be able to dock at their new dock all the time, but there is no guarantee this will hold true. Docking at an exposed pier like this, even the shorter 500 foot one, will still rely on weather conditions as to whether it can be done or not.

The Naysayers have arrived.

Please call Chengkp75 a naysayer and see the reaction you get. He has, once again, provided the rational of why your “no brainer” isn’t.

However, feel free to contribute your armchair expertise and personal millions to make what you want happen. Afterwards, you can gloat to your hearts content.

I could be mistaken but I remember this being discussed 7 years ago when NCL was spending a fortune with upgrading GSC. I remember someone saying NCL could not build a pier but I don't remember the reason. I believe if they could build it they definitely would have built it. It would make things so much easier. NCL would make more money too. No longer would they have to pay for tenders but get all the fees from people eating and excursions on the island. So IMHO if they have not build a pier by now, I doubt it will ever happen.

NCL has been calling on GSC for well over 30 years. If a pier was feasible, they would have done it by now.

money talks and things change the years. anything is possible with the right amount of money. With both Disney and RCCL having a pier for their private island, i think both Norwegian and Carnival is next in line

money talks and things change the years. anything is possible with the right amount of money. With both Disney and RCCL having a pier for their private island, i think both Norwegian and Carnival is next in line
And royal just announced a ton and a half of changes coming to coco cay after their pier is done.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Except that no amount of money can change the laws of physics, hydrology and oceanography.