Cunard vs P&O

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:38 PM.
Manchester
25 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by Host Hattie
I have no idea what the unicorn comment means but in the meantime there have been reports on the P&O board of people being put off the ship.
They may well be urban myths like some of the laundry tall tales.
Is this a P&O cruise or ferry. And are these stories emitting from die hard Cunard fans?
Vale of Glamorgan
3,626 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by rt86
Is this a P&O cruise or ferry. And are these stories emitting from die hard Cunard fans?
They are on the P&O board here which is for the cruise brand rather than ferry company.
You would be better off asking there if you want specific details.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Nottingham,United kingdom
983 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
[quote=rt86;54031636]Groups (plural) being thrown off a cruise sounds a little far fetched to me. I don’t recall at any point calling you yourself a liar, more that these ‘groups’ you spoke to may not have let the truth get in the way of a good story! Nothing in any way directed at you and I’m unsure why you would be so protective over them and their opinions.

In my own opinion I saw nothing ‘higher class’ on Cunard compared to P&O and likewise passengers on our cruise commented on lowering standards on Cunard - perhaps the lowering standard is across all Carnival brands and something we all need to get used to going forward.

The people we spoke to were disappointed they no longer felt they could go on P&O, due to what they had been seeing recently, they were not Cunard regulars.
The separate individual groups of people we spoke to, said family groups had been thrown off P&O. This is certainly not out of the ordinary, and is generally procol if one of the group commits drugs / drink offences. However, you continue to disbelieve it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Seabourn Legend 29/06/03 ItalianYacht Havens
Seabourn Legend 25/06/04 Yachtsmans Riviera
Regent Navigator 20/09/08 Mediteranean
HAL Eurodam 30/01/10 Caribbean
Ponant Le Boreal 13/05/10 Monte Carlo GP
Seabourn Odyssey 08/08/11 Greece
Silversea Silver Whisper 11/10/11 New England
Seabourn Spirit 02/09/12 Adriatic
Crystal Serenity 09/05/13 Italian idylls
Seabourn Odyssey 12/07/14 Greek Isles & Croatia
Seabourn Odyssey 04/07/15 Turkey & Greek Isles
Azamara Journey 19/08/16 France,Italy,Malta,Greece
Seabourn Odyssey 15/10/16 Greek Isles
Queen Victoria 26/08/17 Greek Isles
Manchester
25 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by Tillylovesseabourn
Groups (plural) being thrown off a cruise sounds a little far fetched to me. I don’t recall at any point calling you yourself a liar, more that these ‘groups’ you spoke to may not have let the truth get in the way of a good story! Nothing in any way directed at you and I’m unsure why you would be so protective over them and their opinions.

In my own opinion I saw nothing ‘higher class’ on Cunard compared to P&O and likewise passengers on our cruise commented on lowering standards on Cunard - perhaps the lowering standard is across all Carnival brands and something we all need to get used to going forward.

I need to go and catch this unicorn, which is residing on my lawn now

The people we spoke to were disappointed they no longer felt they could go on P&O, due to what they had been seeing recently, they were not Cunard regulars.
The separate individual groups of people we spoke to, said family groups had been thrown off P&O. This is certainly not out of the ordinary, and is generally procol if one of the group commits drugs / drink offences. However, you continue to disbelieve it!
As cruiselines continue to compete with each other on price and cruising continues to gain popularity, unfortunately this kind of behaviour will start to crop up across all lines where there is an attractive last minute deal.
UK
1,995 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Only done the one P&O cruise and wasn't impressed. I wouldn't rule out trying another one but would have to be either a fantastic itinerary or price (or both ). Just remembered while typing this that the first person who spoke to us (rather than crew) greeted us with 'hello, I'm on this cruise and it only cost me xxx' before disappearing towards the nearest bar. My reaction was (unrepeatable) and I thought we'd got a good price!!

Cunard really suits us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
2017Eastbound T/A - Cunard. 2016 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Bahamas & Florida - NCL: 2015 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2014 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Norway/Iceland - P&O: 2013 Canary Islands - NCL: 2011 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2011 Southern T/A - Celebrity: 2011 Australasia - Princess: 2009 Australia/New Zealand - Royal Caribbean: 2005 Norway - Louis Line: 2004 Alaska - Celebrity: 2000 Eastern Caribbean - Royal Caribbean
Staffordshire
2,039 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Having seeing security being called to seperate a passenger and a waiter fighting on QE2 in the buffet restaurant one lunch time, and that was in the supposedly good old days. I do not think anyone can take the high moral ground and knock P&O as bad behaviour can happen on any cruise line even Cunard.
21 Posts
Joined May 2007
Far prefer Cunard...we have just returned from QV and there were a lot of first time Cunard cruisers on board, many of whom have previously cruised with P&O and most of whom did nothing but moan about the price of the drinks! We have done a fair few cruises with both P&O and Cunard but feel Cunard is our cruise line of choice now, we don't find the drinks that expensive but then again we don't drink excessively...
Milton Keynes, UK
666 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
I always think that when comparing P&O with Cunard, a good place to start is by looking at Arcadia vs QE/QV. So I'll just stick to that rather than include the larger and smaller ships. I've done around 150 nights on Arcadia and around 200 nights on the two smaller queens. Both of the Cunard ships are far more elegant and for me have better theatres. Even now there is still a bit of a wow factor when I board any of the queens.

The queens have a higher staff to passenger ratio, but it now seems to me that these extra staff are in the revenue generating areas rather than cabin steward and MDR waiters. I'm just sticking to Britannia grade as I've no experience of the grills. Cabins are virtually the same, main difference being Arcadia has a bath in most balcony cabins.

I've seen passengers taken off P&O and Cunard, so it happens on both lines.

I've done the Baltic itinerary on Arcadia and QV. QV scored on a few extras and when I went the price was similar on both lines. I'm prepared to pay a bit extra for the Cunard product and am travelling again on QE in 2019. However, when I went to look at an autumn 2019 cruise, both lines offered a very similar 19 night cruise to Venice from Southampton - QV left a couple of weeks earlier. However, when it came to price in a balcony, QV was £5,700 and Arcadia was £3,300 for me as a solo. Sorry, Cunard, no sale or sail at that price. Some of their prices do seem to have been significantly higher this year and for 2018/19.

For me, little to choose between MDR food and service. However, I find the alternative dining options on P&O offer a greater choice than Cunard. I guess Cunard's answer would be to use the Grills. A plus point for me is the lunch options in the pub on Cunard.

I like the Commodore Club but the Crow's Nest on Arcadia is similar and now has an improved range of cocktails, so little to choose between the two, but drinks wise, CC wins just. Enough has been said about drink prices elsewhere, yes they are higher, but I just cut back a bit.

Overall entertainment for me would be to go for Cunard, but I do like the string quartet and harpist that they have on board. Cunard also seem to have more speakers than P&O but most come from the same pool.

Some of it is down to the exchange rate, but I went to the Canaries on QE last December and on Ventura this January and it was noticeable that the Cunard excursion prices were 50% higher than those charged by P&O. However, compared to some Celebrity excursions I've done, Cunard are quite reasonable.

At the end of it, if there is around 10-15% difference in price, then I'd pay the extra and go with Cunard, otherwise, P&O gives me what I'm looking for.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jon : email: cruiser1955 at hotmail dot co dot uk
Future cruises
Ventura - Iberia - 9th Dec 17
Ventura - N803 - Caribbean & USA - 5th Feb 18
Azura - A815 - Baltic - 9th June 18
Arcadia - J814 - Italy, France & Spain - 3rd Oct 18

Ventura - N903 - Caribbean & USA - 5th Feb 19
Queen Elizabeth - Q915A - Japan & Alaska - 5th May 2019
Arcadia - J916 - Adriatic - 10th October 2019

Sailed on:
Swan Hellenic - Minerva II x7 (now P&O Adonia), Minerva
P&O - Arcadia x8, Artemis x3, Azura x2, Oceana, Oriana, Ventura x4
Cunard - Queen Victoria x5, Queen Mary 2 x3, Queen Elizabeth x2 inc World 2013
Celebrity - Solstice x2 - New Zealand and Australia circumnavigation
Voyages of Discovery - Discovery - south Pacific
Holland America - Zanndam x2
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - south America & Falklands
Danube - Johann Strauss
Nile - RA2, MISR Serenade, MISR Rhapsody, Prince Abbas
Santa Cruz (Galapagos)
Victoria Cruises (Yangtze)
UK
284 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Carnival know what they are doing with their marketing. Cunard and P&O DO address different segments and demographics, with Cunard the more upmarket brand (whether that term offends people or not). There IS a different ambience on Cunard (generally older age group with all that implies, more formality, etc). Consider this: P&O has had Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeway broadcast from its ships, and ITV's "Lorraine"; a P&O Captain has appeared in a show on board, culminating with him chasing a member of the theatre company off stage to get back his cap that she has just stolen off his head; P&O promote the fact they have X Factor competitors performing on board. These seem as unlikely on Cunard as do speakers like David Blunket appearing on P&O, or P&O dining room managers wearing tails on formal nights (as happens in Grills). Different people will have their own view on which experience suits them best and whether the price difference is justified, but a difference there certainly is.
NYC
3,800 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
P&O one of the few lines I have heard of groups of people being thrown off for drink and drugs offences. I have been told about rowdy clientele on many occasions from different people who would not cruise with them again.
In general, the pricing and overall formal atmosphere on Cunard ships tends to discourage the "booze cruise" types. In general, because there are those in the cheapest inside cabins who act like ladies and gentlemen while there are those in penthouse suites who have long lost the right to be called either.
Cornwall, UK
2,115 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Teddy123
Carnival know what they are doing with their marketing. Cunard and P&O DO address different segments and demographics, with Cunard the more upmarket brand (whether that term offends people or not). There IS a different ambience on Cunard (generally older age group with all that implies, more formality, etc). Consider this: P&O has had Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeway broadcast from its ships, and ITV's "Lorraine"; a P&O Captain has appeared in a show on board, culminating with him chasing a member of the theatre company off stage to get back his cap that she has just stolen off his head; P&O promote the fact they have X Factor competitors performing on board. These seem as unlikely on Cunard as do speakers like David Blunket appearing on P&O, or P&O dining room managers wearing tails on formal nights (as happens in Grills). Different people will have their own view on which experience suits them best and whether the price difference is justified, but a difference there certainly is.
The P and O entertainment you quote is probably on the more family orientated ships like Britannia, but on the adult only ships i.e. Oriana, Arcadia and Adonia life is quite different !!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Still to come:-

Oriana Christmas in the Canaries 21 Dec 2017
Ventura Caribbean & USA 5 Feb 2018
Marella Discovery 2 Aegean & Adriatic 28 Sep 2018
983 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by Teddy123
That would be my deduction from all marketing and pricing information too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
South Lancashire
170 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Interesting thread, especially on pricing. Cunard was the cheapest cruise I have ever been on, and I stayed in a balcony cabin for the first time! However the cruise was a mid-May one to the fjords and I booked it last minute, about three weeks out.
I didn't enjoy my first P&O cruise on Oceana but I blame that on my mindset at the time, however the cruise on Ventura earlier this year was very enjoyable. Probably because my eldest son cane along too!
In my opinion Cunard "top trumps" P&O but they are both enjoyable in their own right. If the ports of call interest me then I wouldn't mind which line I cruised with, if I had to choose between them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Black Watch 29 August 2009, 8 nights in the fjords- with mum

Oceana 30 April 2011, 7 nights in the fjords- with mum

Black Watch 7 August 2012, 13 nights up to the North Cape- with mum and eldest son (15)

Queen Elizabeth 19 May 2013, 7 nights to the fjords again - with mum (there's a theme going on here, can you tell I love Norway?!)

Adventure of the Seas 26 Oct 2014, Spain & France with mum, husband and & youngest son (10)

UK
1,995 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by Lilydes
We had an "incident" on Queen Victoria last week but my lips are sealed!!
Don't tease us like this. We want details, the gorier the better
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
2017Eastbound T/A - Cunard. 2016 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Bahamas & Florida - NCL: 2015 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2014 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Norway/Iceland - P&O: 2013 Canary Islands - NCL: 2011 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2011 Southern T/A - Celebrity: 2011 Australasia - Princess: 2009 Australia/New Zealand - Royal Caribbean: 2005 Norway - Louis Line: 2004 Alaska - Celebrity: 2000 Eastern Caribbean - Royal Caribbean
UK, South Wales
31 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
We sailed both P&O and Cunard this year for the first time. QV was streets ahead of the Britannia in our view. Our balcony cabin was much bigger on QV and food and services was as different as night and day.

Beer with breakfast was a common sight and two people were thrown off in the Azores for being abusive to others onboard as well as the staff. Never again for P&O for us but we have already booked again with Cunard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
983 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by MWINT
We sailed both P&O and Cunard this year for the first time. QV was streets ahead of the Britannia in our view. Our balcony cabin was much bigger on QV and food and services was as different as night and day.

Beer with breakfast was a common sight and two people were thrown off in the Azores for being abusive to others onboard as well as the staff. Never again for P&O for us but we have already booked again with Cunard.

I am pleased you have posted, You will no doubt be told by someone on this thread that people being thrown off could not have happened on P&O, like I was told. Clearly not urban myth then!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UK, South Wales
31 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
I am pleased you have posted, You will no doubt be told by someone on this thread that people being thrown off could not have happened on P&O, like I was told. Clearly not urban myth then!

Definitely no myth. The captain made a public address apology to the crew and passengers. He had the people responsible confined to their cabin until he could put them off. The Azores was the fist port of call after leaving the Caribbean. This was one of the few things P&O did that really impressed me.

Pennsylvania
5,831 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
On my first QM2 voyage in 2010 Commodore Warner famously had an elderly woman confined to her stateroom and put ashore in Quebec City after she was verbally abusive to other passengers during a formal dinner.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/8430..._row_on_liner/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
UK
284 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by MWINT
Definitely no myth. The captain made a public address apology to the crew and passengers. He had the people responsible confined to their cabin until he could put them off. The Azores was the fist port of call after leaving the Caribbean. This was one of the few things P&O did that really impressed me.
I was on this cruise too, although to be fair I have been on 10 or more other P&O cruises without a similar occurrence - and all other P&O ships have bigger balconies than Britannia. Still prefer Cunard though.