Royal Princess- Lack of a Walkable Promenade Deck

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:58 AM.
407 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by iceleven
To me, walking around the promenade deck is more like walking around a school track field. The same view...the same view...the same view. One can sit on their balcony, or sit on the promenade deck and see...the same view. it's not going to change wherever you are out at sea.

I find it does change, sometimes dramatically, depending upon time of day, sun position, wind direction, wind speed, and weather conditions. DH and I love walking on the promenad and it is an experience that we can't find anywhere else. Where else can one walk in the shade so close to the sea...not on a beach.

I agree about the smoking, but that should only be on one side.

I think a Royal class ship will be coming to the California in a year or so. But I hope this doesn't mean we will lose access to Princess ships with a walkable promenad so soon.
Columbia, Md
2,387 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Originally posted by jajsmom
Thanks. I've never seen this information anywhere.
If you have been on the Royal it is posted on the wall where you are walking around the track. Same goes for other ships' track and also the promenade deck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Mardi Gras 4/1988
NCL Norway 8/1990
Carnival Sensation 8/1996
Carnival Sensation 4/9/2000
Carnival Paradise 2/1/2002
Carnival Triumph 1/31/2004
Carnival Paradise - 14 day Panama Canal 9/6/2004
Golden Princess 6/9/2012

Caribbean Princess 9/21/2013
Crown Princess - San Diego 2/2015
Grand Princess - Hawaii 2/2015
Royal Princess - 4/2015 B2B - TA/British Isles
Carnival Pride - 1/2016 B2B - Caribbean
Crown Princess - 10/20/2016 - 28 day RT Hawaii/South Pacific
Royal Princess - 4/19/2017 - 28 day B2B TA & Mediterranean
Crown Princess - 11/8/2017 - 10 day B2B Caribbean
Golden Princess - July 7, 2018 Alaska with 6 day Denali Explorer land tour starting July 1
Northern California
2,641 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by iceleven

We're more accustomed to the Grand Class ships as that is pretty much all we have available here on the west coast but a two week B2B last November on the Royal made us loyal to the Royal class ships. We didn't miss the promenade deck as we were in different ports most of the time and got more than enough exercise on shore. I am hopeful that Princess will give us one over here on the west coast once the two new builds come over from Europe.
the Royal Princess will be operating out of Los Angeles starting March 2019.

https://www.princess.com/news/news_r...as-Season.html
Monroe Washington
362 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
We were on Regal a few yrs ago, I didn't like the layout of the ship either
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

"God Made Aircraft Mechanics So Pilots Could Have Hero's Too"

1992 Mexican Riviera, Carnival Jubilee
2005 Western Caribbean, Star Princess, Wilma did our cruise for us, turned into Eastern Caribbean

2006 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess

2007 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess

2008 Mexican Riviera, Sapphire Princess

2010 Western Caribbean, Norweigan Pearl, not impressed

2012 Western Caribbean Carnival Liberty

2013 Western Caribbean, RCI Freedom of the Seas

2014 Eastern Caribbean, Allure of the Seas, changed to Western due to Gonzalo

2015 Eastern Caribbean, Regal Princess

2016 Mexican Riviera, Grand Princess, cut short dislocated shoulder, almost became a Mexican citizen

2017 Western Caribbean, RCI Liberty of the Seas
13,241 Posts
Joined May 2005
Honest to God we were on the Majestic(first time on the Royal class) for 3 weeks and I never even noticed there was not a "full" promenade.

OP glad you are going to voice your concerns to Princess....but unfortunately they care little about repeat clients, it comes down to the mightly dollar and a full promenade doesn't generate any dollars at all.

When I register a concern to Princess I never speak of how many cruises I have or my status etc......according to them it doesn't matter and I truly believe that.
14 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
Well stay off The Island Princess because you cannot walk all the way around either on that ship. Why not walk the decks inside the Ship? I do that if it's raining out or too hot. Walk the stairs for exercise, better Yet! On the Royal, I walked the Promenade deck and went through the doors at the other end and across. No big deal. Secret is to keep moving.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app
Los Angeles, California
768 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by Rbel4
An Open Posting to Princess Cruises- The lack of a walkable promenade deck on the Royal Princess will result in us cancelling our scheduled December cruise.

As background, my wife and I have been on 14 Princess Cruises over the last 20 years all over the world (Caribbean, Alaska, Europe, Australia/New Zealand, Panama, Norway and elsewhere). Regardless of our itinerary, one of the most important things to us to do on every Princess cruise was our daily exercise walks on the covered promenade deck.

I was very disappointed to learn that the Royal Princess does not have a walker friendly promenade deck for people like us. I understand that it is cut off in the front and back of the ship and is too narrow in parts to do exercise walks. For us, the jogging trail at the top of the ship does not work due to my wife's sun sensitivity plus it not being the same quiet ambience of a promenade deck.

As a result of this Royal Princess design feature, we will for the first time in years start looking at other cruise lines. We may continuing to go on some of the older Princess Ships, but that fleet is aging. Our hearts are broken over this as we were one cruise away from Elite Status. We were looking forward to the other innovations of the Royal Princess class of ships. However, for us, this promenade issue is a deal breaker as it is a very important part of our cruise we thought would never be taken away.

Nothing says "SHIP" like the Promenade Deck. Nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
melbourne
88 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by clearwaters
Nothing says "SHIP" like the Promenade Deck. Nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
I heartily agreed, but the reality is, that it is us middle aged people whom enjoy a walk around the promenade, and we are happy to watch the sea, like others a century ago. But the cruise industry is about money, and trying to attract younger people, a lot whom are easily board, so water slides, rock climbing walls , and all manner of things were introduced to amuse the people who kneed amusing, to the point were some forget they are on a ship at all.

The golden years are gone, but at least there are plenty of cruise ship to choose from...

So it the golden princess for us

Cheers Don
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
why didn't we go cruising before ???
TX
20 Posts
Joined May 2017
I'm on the Royal princess right now and agree that the lack of the nice walking path is a big disappointment. Check Holland America. They have a nice one. My other disappointment is the lack of ice! The machines in the buffet run out every meal and the dining room gives you 2 cubes. Not a huge thing, but you see people trudging around the ship with empty cups looking for ice. I can't enjoy iced tea without ice!
Two Rivers, Wisc.
1,611 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
I'm back reading this thread again as I find the comments interesting. Having sailed 6 cruise lines, 28 times, I'm happy to be my age (70), good health, able to afford a cruise as sailing single is expensive. I've sailed on the Norway, which had a true, old fashioned promenade, inside and out. I absolutely loved it.

Promenades are nice but I want to see new places, can't wrap my head around not going on a ship because it is too big, no promenade, whatever other reason. As I said before, itinerary is important, I'm not on a cruise just to cruise, don't go to the Caribbean or take short cruises (short to me is 15 days). The Caribbean was great in the 80s, early 90s, now way too crowded. I enjoy sea days, love positioning and transatlantic cruises, still do those, promenade or not!
COLORADO
59,527 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by jajsmom
Thanks. I've never seen this information anywhere.
Stenciled on the wall like the GC ships.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32
COLORADO
59,527 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by planner123456
I'm on the Royal princess right now and agree that the lack of the nice walking path is a big disappointment. Check Holland America. They have a nice one. My other disappointment is the lack of ice! The machines in the buffet run out every meal and the dining room gives you 2 cubes. Not a huge thing, but you see people trudging around the ship with empty cups looking for ice. I can't enjoy iced tea without ice!
Is it possible for you to post the list of officers on the front page of the first day Embarkation Patter?
Thanks in advance and enjoy the rest of your cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32