Hamburg Sailaway

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:26 AM.
Vale of Glamorgan
3,575 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
The Cunard Facebook page is showing today's sailaway live if anyone is interested.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Hampshire, England
1,565 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by Germancruiser
You are very welcome Scotswoman- I got so many help and insides on these boards it´s great I can help out also. I think there will be no problem for you to embark at around 12 or 1 pm. To leave for the Hauptbahnhof at around 10 am is a very good time- you sure to dissembarked by then and so you have plenty of time to catch your train- since the Main Station ( Hauptbahnhof ) is just 20 minutes the longest!
My experience is they seat German speaking passengers together- I always ask for an international table- as you, I am all for the " spice of life" ! Seldom I got one- so ended up with German´s all around- esp. when sailing into our out of a German port!
I really have nothing agains my German kinsmen- but they can be a triffle unerving - as I said I love to speak to fellow passengers from all over the world. I met such wonderful friends on board ships from all over the world be it from England, Australia, USA , Canada - and wonders over wonder- Hamburg- LOL!
I would love to hear from you when you are back- how everything worked out!
Greetings
Michael
Good morning German Cruiser.

At the risk of going 'Off Topic' please allow me to say that I have shared many tables with your German kinsmen and have never been unnerved by the company.

Indeed, we recently experienced a cruise where we were the only 'Brits' on a German ship and we had an outstanding time and certainly never felt 'left out'. A previous cruise on that same ship forged a great friendship and in a couple of weeks time we head for Hamburg for their wedding.

One of the joys of cruising is the international coming together.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancing above the Waves.

Diving below them.

2,929 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Hi Richard,

oh I agree- I also met my now best friends on a German speaking table ( Germans) . I just love to meet international fellow cruisers. You said so aptly- the coming together of people from all Nations is the best that comes of cruising.
I am still in touch with friends from Australia, Switzerland, Canada and of course - England! Our wonderful English friends showed us so many wonderful places in Britain, we would never have seen as mere tourists- way up North in Northumberland- Hadrians Wall and so on..!
My you choose one of Hapag´s Europa´s - thats is very high class and upscale- if I remember right, No.2 Europa is the more casual one- with the same high standards as her sister Europa! Thanks for the picture! Seems you had much fun!
Greetings
Michael
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
806 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Hi to everyone, especially Germancruiser,
Just home from the cruise of the Norwegian fjords. We were given a wonderful tour of the harbour area in Hamburg on the QM2, sailing regally past the Elbphilharmonie; and the good people of the city turned out in droves to give us a rollicking send -off!
We had truly remarkable weather to enjoy the magnificent scenery in the fjords. All in all a very enjoyable cruise, highlighted by the company of two delightful Irish ladies at dinner!
Morven

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Vale of Glamorgan
3,575 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Thanks for letting us know, it's good to hear that you had such a great send off.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
2,929 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Welcome back Morven- and thank you for letting us know how the Sail away out of Hamburg was on board the Mary! The harbour - tour of the Mary got a huge press attention- for the first time the new landmark and the Mary could be seen in one picture. So you were witness to a little history! Great that you had a wonderful Fjords- cruise- we are planing on doing the same next year in June!
Greetings
Michael
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
45 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
We were also on the QM2 sail away from Hamburg on 21st August and the send off was amazing with Land of Hope and Glory and God Save The Queen being played from the shore. The Fjords cruise which followed was also fabulous with great weather and scenery and also a couple of great send offs from Norwegian ports of call
100 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
We just experienced the sail away at Hamburg and I was blown away. The Captain actually took the ship up river to the area where everyone gathers on that weird shaped building. He turned her around in a very narrow place and we sailed back past all the folks. Further down they played "Land of Hope and Glory" and "God Save the Queen" It was all a total sup;rized to us and a lot of fun.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Vale of Glamorgan
3,575 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
It sounds wonderful, thanks for reporting back.
If it's a bit of a damp squib on QV, it's a good excuse to repeat the experience on QM2.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature