Taking alcohol on board

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:50 AM.
3,511 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Think of a queue of passengers coming off a tender and every bag needs to be checked and bottles removed from bags, tagged and stored for collection later. Then think of the angry passengers and the even more angry ones waiting in the queue.

Have they got enough staff to police this.

David
Whitley Bay, North East England
6,558 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by Host Sharon
They haven't said it yet but I have heard it on good authority that they will bring all their brands into line on this issue. I would assume then that, like Princess etc, you might only be allowed one bottle of champagne or wine per adult.

Well Sharon I heard on good authority that Carnival wanted to make the loyalty schemes the same. That was 2 years ago. Not saying it's not true but one wonders if theses things are just floated to get a reaction.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720

To Come

Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 9
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
1,020 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by Cruise Puss
I have no particular opinion on this subject either way, but I can't help thinking that you cannot turn up to a Hotel and say "It's okay, I've bought my own wine/spirit so I don't need yours." Not sure this would go down too well..... 😕

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.
But I don't do that. My bar bill will be about £800 on our forthcoming round trip to the Caribbean, and I will take on board about £50 of wine. The danger is that if P&O change their policy, I will revert back to Princess, and give my £800 to them.
Milton Keynes, UK
656 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by balf
Think of a queue of passengers coming off a tender and every bag needs to be checked and bottles removed from bags, tagged and stored for collection later. Then think of the angry passengers and the even more angry ones waiting in the queue.

David
That is what happens on Celebrity. Holland America make you pay the corkage as you get on board. What is more annoying is that is after you have done a ships excursion to a vineyard as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jon : email: cruiser1955 at hotmail dot co dot uk
Future cruises
Ventura - Iberia - 9th Dec 17
Ventura - N803 - Caribbean & USA - 5th Feb 18
Azura - A815 - Baltic - 9th June 18
Arcadia - J814 - Italy, France & Spain - 3rd Oct 18

Ventura - N903 - Caribbean & USA - 5th Feb 19
Queen Elizabeth - Q915A - Japan & Alaska - 5th May 2019
Arcadia - J916 - Adriatic - 10th October 2019

Sailed on:
Swan Hellenic - Minerva II x7 (now P&O Adonia), Minerva
P&O - Arcadia x8, Artemis x3, Azura x2, Oceana, Oriana, Ventura x4
Cunard - Queen Victoria x5, Queen Mary 2 x3, Queen Elizabeth x2 inc World 2013
Celebrity - Solstice x2 - New Zealand and Australia circumnavigation
Voyages of Discovery - Discovery - south Pacific
Holland America - Zanndam x2
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - south America & Falklands
Danube - Johann Strauss
Nile - RA2, MISR Serenade, MISR Rhapsody, Prince Abbas
Santa Cruz (Galapagos)
Victoria Cruises (Yangtze)
14 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
We always take a bottle each of our favourite tipple to enjoy whilst getting ready for dinner and a nightcap before we go to bed and would be sad if this were to stop.
However, I am amazed at the amount of alcohol some people boast about taking on board on other sites. If what tgey say is true, then I think they are really pushing it. As has been oreviously posted, P&O do not stipulate an unlimited amount, but a reasonable amount and it wouldnt surprise me ar all if they did decide to clamp down on passengers taking advantage.
UK
2,416 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
From what I have seen and heard about, I think there are a lot of people abusing the system and pushing it too far - so spoiling it for the rest of us. Apparently, the other Carnival lines allow a bottle of champagne/wine pp...... It wouldn't worry me to be honest as we feel the prices on board are very reasonable and you are able to buy a bottle of spirit eg gin at a very competitive price.
1,020 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by Jaywader
We always take a bottle each of our favourite tipple to enjoy whilst getting ready for dinner and a nightcap before we go to bed and would be sad if this were to stop.
However, I am amazed at the amount of alcohol some people boast about taking on board on other sites. If what tgey say is true, then I think they are really pushing it. As has been oreviously posted, P&O do not stipulate an unlimited amount, but a reasonable amount and it wouldnt surprise me ar all if they did decide to clamp down on passengers taking advantage.
It depends on what you call reasonable. If my wife and I have half a bottle of wine between us while we get ready for dinner (not unreasonable I would say) that equates to around 12 bottles on a 24 night cruise. Can't see anything unreasonable about that.
United Kingdom
477 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by wowzz
This rumours seems to crop up every 6 months or so. To enforce a limit of say one bottle of wine per person would, I think be counter productive. Many cruisers prefer P&O because of their drink policy, and if this policy was to change, many would vote with their feet and switch to Princess, RCL etc.
The drink that passengers take on board to drink in their own cabins is in addition to the drink that will be purchased on board, not in place of on board purchases. I will drink a glass or two of my own wine when getting ready for dinner -if I no longer can take my own wine I will not be buying wine on board for my pre-dinner tipple.
Definitely "in addition to" for me. I take a couple of bottles of spirits not sold onboard, and perhaps a bottle of wine. I may also try a local wine at one or two of the ports. This to me is "reasonable" and is one reason why I keep returning to P and O. Yes I buy drinks in the bars and restaurants too. If P and O go the American way I shall stop booking with them. May as well go with Celebrity and buy a drinks package. But I may also stop buying a balcony. P and O forget that they benefit from that when people take something onboard because they like a balcony drink before dinner or at sailaway time.
I resent any restriction of my freedoms. The only time I sailed with a cruise line which forbade alcohol I managed to get my usual 2 bottles onboard; not saying how on here. If they treat me like a naughty child I'll behave like one!
UK
2,416 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
But they are not banning you from buying and consuming alcohol on board - just restricting the amount you bring in yourself without charging corkage for.
Chelsea, London, England
3,772 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
If they set a reasonable limit then I wouldn't have a major problem with it. How about the UK duty-free limit (1 litre of spirits per person etc.)?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
If you can read this - thank a teacher
If you are reading this in English - thank a soldier

Norwegian Jewel (28 Jul 2008 - 09 Aug 2008 - Baltic Capitals)
Norwegian Jade (24 May 2009 - 29 May 2009 - Ireland)
Norwegian Jade (30 May 2010 - 06 Jun 2010 - Western Med.)
http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/member...?EntryID=70844
Crown Princess (29 Jul 2010 - 10 Aug 2010 - Iceland & Norway)
Norwegian Jade (30 Jul 2011 - 13 Aug 2011 - Eastern Med.)
Norwegian Jade (22 Dec 2012 - 02 Jan 2013 - Med. + Holy Land)
Independence of the Seas (29 Oct 2013 - 02 Nov 2013 - Europe)
Norwegian Spirit (26 Dec 2013 - 04 Jan 2014 - Canary Islands +)
Norwegian Getaway (14-15 Jan 2014 - Southampton CTN)
Norwegian Jade (12 Jul 2014 - 26 Jul 2014 - Grand Med. from Venice)
Norwegian Jade (23 Dec 2014 - 03 Jan 2015 - Med. from Rome)
Royal Princess (08 Jul 2015 - 20 Jul 2015 - Round Britain)
P&O Oceana (27 Mar 2016 - 06 Apr 2016 - Iberia + Western Med.)
P&O Ventura (12 Sep 2016 - 18 Sep 2016 - Western Europe)
Azamara Journey (01 Feb 2017 - 19 Feb 2017 - Singapore to Sydney)
Regent Seven Seas Voyager (12 May 2018 - 01 Jun 2018 - Dubai to Rome)
Solihull
2,176 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
I think this could well be true, we have seen some change already and I suspect they will bring a drinks package in with effect from New Year and this will align to loyalty changes - but that's just my opinion.
To be honest I am not fussed by this, whenever we take alcohol onboard we seem to struggle to drink it, as most of our consumption is with dinner.
If P&O hiked their prices that would bother me more!
P&O potentially bringing in an all inclusive option would enable them to use it as another booking incentive like OBC. Let's face it they have been asking in questionnaires so it's on their agenda and my guess is that many cruisers want drinks packages - but not me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
England
908 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
A drinks package wouldn't interest me either, but I would be concerned about the potential binge drinking and resultant behaviour that might result. Also, I understand that drinks packages can be a real con. Friends of ours recently went on one of the US lines and had a drinks package. They realised pretty soon once they boarded that very little was available for the price cap, so they paid extra for a higher level package and they still found that some drinks were still above this price cap. The thing that really irritated them was that you couldn't pay the difference. If your drink was a few cents above the cap (which many were), if you wanted one you had to pay the full price. I find P&O drink prices to be very reasonable - unlike the US lines - so I would favour keeping things as they are.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 143 nights over 13 cruises (Aurora x 3, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 74 nights over 5 cruises (2018 - Aurora, Arcadia, Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
47 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by Cruise Puss
I have no particular opinion on this subject either way, but I can't help thinking that you cannot turn up to a Hotel and say "It's okay, I've bought my own wine/spirit so I don't need yours." Not sure this would go down too well..... ��

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.
I've never been in a hotel that searches your bags and bans you from bringing alcohol in. Naturally like any cruise ship you cant drink it in the restaurants but you can do what you like in your room and on your balcony .

I think P&O are severely underestimating their market here. They claim their bar prices are normal pub prices but in reality they are far more expensive than your average pub but just about 'doeable' if you know what I mean.

If this is the case then its goodbye from us.

There is a fine line between the massive land based all inclusive holiday long haul market and a cruise ship that allows you to bring on your own alcohol for consumption in your cabin / balcony. If they want to cross it so be it - we''ll go elsewhere and I'll be drinking my all inclusive drinks on a Caribbean beach or Mauritius rather than the Britannia for alot less money.

All inclusive drink packages on Celebrity / NCL are a rip off and certainly take the price up to a new level . I guess this is the way things are going, which is a shame and that Caribbean cruise in March will be off the agenda - more for the principal I guess.
Solihull
2,176 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Originally posted by Selbourne
A drinks package wouldn't interest me either, but I would be concerned about the potential binge drinking and resultant behaviour that might result. Also, I understand that drinks packages can be a real con. Friends of ours recently went on one of the US lines and had a drinks package. They realised pretty soon once they boarded that very little was available for the price cap, so they paid extra for a higher level package and they still found that some drinks were still above this price cap. The thing that really irritated them was that you couldn't pay the difference. If your drink was a few cents above the cap (which many were), if you wanted one you had to pay the full price. I find P&O drink prices to be very reasonable - unlike the US lines - so I would favour keeping things as they are.

I'm not sure about other lines but the house wines on P&O are reasonable.
I do think the tendency is to 'get your monies worth'. That doesn't interest me but it may indeed change onboard culture. From what I can tell on Princess it fairly easy to buy one drinks package and share it per couple so it is probably very cost effective for bargain hunters.

1,020 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by Florry
I'm not sure about other lines but the house wines on P&O are reasonable.
I do think the tendency is to 'get your monies worth'. That doesn't interest me but it may indeed change onboard culture. From what I can tell on Princess it fairly easy to buy one drinks package and share it per couple so it is probably very cost effective for bargain hunters.

The last time I was on Princess they were pretty scrupulous about people not sharing a drinks package. One drink at a time, and only for the person with the package. If you were caught 'sharing' you lost the package.
Sunderland England
5,218 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Selbourne
Royal Caribbean Deluxe Drinks package from Barcelona in June was $12 maximum per drink and Prosecco was $2 more and Sauvignon blanc $4 more plus tax but you only paid the extra.
You are allowed to bring 1 bottle of wine on board only when embarking.
We are lucky P&O don't restrict what drink you bring on board at embarking and at ports of call.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app
Staffordshire
1,983 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by balf

David
It happens on Princess when you go through security if they pick up alcohol on the scanners you are then directed to tables at the side where the drink is taken off you and your details given and a receipt and then you have to wait until the end of the cruise to get it back. It works with no problems so do not see why it will not work on P&O.
UK
664 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
"I've heard it on good authority ". If you are not prepared to name your source, you shouldn't be spreading rumours that can't be substantiated. This only causes alarm amongst P&O customers who have booked cruises under the booking conditions at that time.

Solihull
2,176 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
You can by bras that contain a bottle worth of wine in each 'cup' with a straw. Do you think these show up on the scanner? I'm worried I might be left somewhat deflated if they confiscate it.