Launderette etiquette

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:41 AM.
Chicago
296 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
That is baffling! I once lived in an apartment building with communal washers and dryers and once stopped my elderly neighbors from leaving the laundry room with my extra-large bottle of laundry detergent. I think they were responsible for all of my towels and bath mats disappearing from the laundry room a few months prior to that. Probably old age rather than malice, but who knows.

We can't afford to send our washing out, and with the stories I've heard, I'll probably have to hang out in the laundrette and read a book while our clothes are being washed.
70 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
"Can't afford to send washing out' is (or in our case WAS understood). However, while the items lost were not expensive at all (four to a pack socks and underwear as opposed to designer labels) it still probably cost more in items appropriated by another passenger than it did do have the laundry sent to the ship's facility! I get it - we can either sail Cunard or buy designer undies (budget does not stretch to both...) but the $15-20 worth of clothing lost could have paid the laundry fees for the items lost.

I know this is probably a one off scenario, but my advice is to just bite the bullet and eschew the laundromat unless you have a good book and a lot of patience. As already reported, the husband is now a covert to the ships laundry with very little encouragement from me, apart from a wry expression and much eye rolling (both mine) when he realized he had only two pairs of underwear and five days left without sight of land....
4,404 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
This reminds me of the urban legend that has gone around on every line we have sailed.

A woman, on a luxury line, washes an easy-care dress in the launderette. When she returns, the dress is gone, quite to her dismay.

A few days later, she is in one of the lounges when she spies a woman wearing her most distinctive dress. She approaches her and says, "I think you are wearing my dress!" To which, the woman replies, "Prove it!" The "legend" ends there, but, apparently things go missing.

On the other hand, there was a basket in the laundry room for months with some very nice clothing, including a hat, so you think someone would have come looking for them.

Ricki

I
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

At Sea
5,298 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by ricki
... On the other hand, there was a basket in the laundry room for months with some very nice clothing, including a hat, so you think someone would have come looking for them. Ricki
Hi ricki,
Last November/December on QM2 in the Caribbean, in the laundry room on Deck 11, I noted there was a basket of neatly folded clothes in a corner. As I was waiting for "my" machine to finish, a lady (also waiting) said that the basket had been there since she boarded in Southampton.

On the afternoon of my last day on board (before returning to New York), I happened to be passing and looked in, and yes, there was the basket, still in a corner.

I presume a passenger did a "last day wash", packed and left, forgetting they had clothes elsewhere on the ship (but surprised how roomy their cases were...).

I wonder if someone currently on board could check and see if that well travelled laundry (it could have been on the world cruise), is still there?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over 3.5 million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2. Booked: QE, ...
3,511 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by pepperrn
Or quite the opposite.

On the huge QM2, having the launderettes either aft or forward (they almost alternate as you rise up the decks) means that, instead of walking the entire length of the ship to find a laundry, there may well be one above or below you, and therefore closer (by lift/elevator). Passengers in the middle of the ship only have to walk half the length of the vessel.

So, not awckward (sic) at all. An entirely user-friendly layout.
Surprisingly, or possibly not, they don't alternate deck to deck. There is just one forward on deck 4, the other three on 5, 6 and eight are well aft.

David
Muscat/Oman and Sydney/Australia
809 Posts
Joined May 2011
I can't believe people are nicking laundry! Wow.
On ships without laundry facilities I usually take cheap underwear and socks. Wear them once and throw them in the bin. Much to the confusion of the room stewards who routinely tell me that " this is waste bin, not laundry basket"...
Chicago
296 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by amias
"Can't afford to send washing out' is (or in our case WAS understood). However, while the items lost were not expensive at all (four to a pack socks and underwear as opposed to designer labels) it still probably cost more in items appropriated by another passenger than it did do have the laundry sent to the ship's facility! I get it - we can either sail Cunard or buy designer undies (budget does not stretch to both...) but the $15-20 worth of clothing lost could have paid the laundry fees for the items lost.

I know this is probably a one off scenario, but my advice is to just bite the bullet and eschew the laundromat unless you have a good book and a lot of patience. As already reported, the husband is now a covert to the ships laundry with very little encouragement from me, apart from a wry expression and much eye rolling (both mine) when he realized he had only two pairs of underwear and five days left without sight of land....
I just checked the thread I created re laundry prices and charges for laundry for me alone would be about $15 for one day's worth of clothing for me alone. I've reluctantly agreed to send my suit and dress shirts out, because ironing WOULD be a waste of my vacation time, but you'll be able to find me this voyage in the deck 5 laundry room with my Kindle and my patience.
Chicago
296 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by buchhalm
I can't believe people are nicking laundry! Wow.
On ships without laundry facilities I usually take cheap underwear and socks. Wear them once and throw them in the bin. Much to the confusion of the room stewards who routinely tell me that " this is waste bin, not laundry basket"...
My God that's wasteful. I hope the stewards collect them and find a new home for them rather than throwing them in the incinerator.
Chester, UK
1,406 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by abefroman329
My God that's wasteful. I hope the stewards collect them and find a new home for them rather than throwing them in the incinerator.
But that is what society wants, i.e. throw-away.

To give you a real-world example; My local supermarkets sells duvets cheaper than they dry clean them for.

So if you buy a new one you are saving yourself a few pounds.
Pennsylvania
5,747 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by ToadOfToadHall
I was expecting all this "where's my clothes gone ?" to really be that people return to the wrong laundry room !
My tablemate on QV confessed to me that he had visited the laundry rooms several times before he realized that the one with the door off the port passageway was the same one as the one with the door off the starboard passageway.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Chicago
296 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by ToadOfToadHall
But that is what society wants, i.e. throw-away.

To give you a real-world example; My local supermarkets sells duvets cheaper than they dry clean them for.

So if you buy a new one you are saving yourself a few pounds.
I repeat, "My God that's wasteful."
Chester, UK
1,406 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by abefroman329
I repeat, "My God that's wasteful."
I pass no comment. But society gets what society wants.

5 pairs of men's white socks for £2.50 :

https://www.primark.com/en/product/5...35397148130740

50p per pair. It's cheaper to bin them on the ship than have them washed. Of course, they would not survive being washed once anyway so the point is moot.
At Sea
5,298 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by balf
Surprisingly, or possibly not, they don't alternate deck to deck. There is just one forward on deck 4, the other three on 5, 6 and eight are well aft. David
And above Deck 8? ... 10 and 11 are forward.

So Decks 4 forward, 5 aft, 6 aft, 8 midships, 10 forward and 11 forward.

Or, if you prefer, three forward, one midships, two aft. Nice spread I would have thought, and, as I said, using one above or below you, may mean saving a long walk.

Best wishes
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over 3.5 million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2. Booked: QE, ...
Chicago
296 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by hihilo
I've had only good experiences in using the laundromats on all 3 Queens. Using them at 6 pm is a breeze......
Good advice, thanks.
Riding the Ocean Waves
1,336 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by josey1964
How are the laundramats on embarkation day. We will have been in NYC 7 nights prior to our cruise home.
Usually quiet and best time to use them.
4,404 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by pepperrn
Hi ricki,
Last November/December on QM2 in the Caribbean, in the laundry room on Deck 11, I noted there was a basket of neatly folded clothes in a corner. As I was waiting for "my" machine to finish, a lady (also waiting) said that the basket had been there since she boarded in Southampton.

On the afternoon of my last day on board (before returning to New York), I happened to be passing and looked in, and yes, there was the basket, still in a corner.

I presume a passenger did a "last day wash", packed and left, forgetting they had clothes elsewhere on the ship (but surprised how roomy their cases were...).

I wonder if someone currently on board could check and see if that well travelled laundry (it could have been on the world cruise), is still there?
Hi Pepper,

I will be glad to check for the basket of laundry, but it won't be until the 10 May westbound crossing after QE's WC. That would be amazing if it is still there!

Ricki
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature