Crown Princess

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:56 PM.
West Yorkshire.
5,234 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Here is the link to my review from our May sailing on Crown:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2503410

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jackie

Princess Platinum

Previous Cruises:
Crown Princess: Mediterranean Adventure 13-27th May 2017
Azamara Quest: TA Southampton to Montreal 09.09.16
Celebrity Eclipse, Baltic Capitals. July 25th-Aug 8th 2015
Infinity TransAtlantic October 24th-7 th November 2013.
Eclipse, Southern Caribbean March 23- 6th April 2013.
Constellation ( Celebrity) Amsterdam- Southampton (5th-7th Sept 2012) We are now Elite!!!
Century ( Celebrity) Honolulu to Ensenada Mar 2012
Eclipse (Celebrity)- Western Mediterranean Oct 2010
Arcadia (P&O)- Lands of Ice & Fire July 2009
Mercury (Celebrity) Oz & NZ Jan /Feb 2008
Artemis ( P&O) Iberian Delights Oct 2006
Galaxy ( Celebrity) Rome- Galveston TA Oct 2005
Ocean Village Barbados B2B Jan 2004
Infinity ( Celebrity) Alaska July 2003
Splendour of the Seas (RCCL) B2B Greek Islands Sept 2001
Carnival Sensation ex Dominican Republic 1999
+ 6 others, inc Airtours x3, Fred Olsen,Thompson, & Louis line
Chicago, IL, USA
2,016 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Hi,

I have cruised aboard 13 different ships in the current Princess fleet: Regal, Royal, Ruby, Emerald, Crown, Caribbean, Diamond, Sapphire, Star, Golden, Grand, Coral and Sun. I enjoyed my cruise on the Crown in 2015 and honestly didn't notice much difference between the Crown and the similar Ruby and Emerald. I'm looking forward to my cruise on the Crown that I have booked for February 2018.

Chuck
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
554 days - 87 cruises - 64 ships

Royal Caribbean (124 days, 22 cruises); Princess (120 days, 18 cruises); Cunard (105 days, 17 cruises); Norwegian (53 days, 8 cruises); Celebrity (51 days, 8 cruises); Crystal (43 days, 5 cruises); Holland America (38 days, 5 cruises); Other (20 days, 4 cruises)

Future cruises: Crown Princess, Feb. 23, 2018 (8-day Southern Caribbean); Emerald Princess, May 9, 2018 (4-day Pacific Coastal); Queen Victoria, Sep. 22, 2018 (7-day Mediterranean); Royal Princess, May 4, 2019 (7-day Wine Country Coastal)

Areas cruised to: Alaska; Asia (Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand); Australia; Bahamas; Bermuda; Canada/New England; Caribbean; Greek Islands; Hawaii; Mediterranean; Mexican Riviera; Norway; Pacific Coastal; Panama Canal; Scandinavia/Russia; Spain/Portugal; Tahiti; Transatlantic Crossings
33 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Keep in mind the Crown is scheduled for a dry dock this coming March. Many ships close to dry dock do show some wear and tear.

That being said we were on her this past February for 14 days and did not notice any problems.
Houston, TX
18 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
I spent 4 weeks on the Royal last year and just returned 8/26 from spending 2 weeks on the Crown. Although the ships are different, I would not consider Crown to be inferior to Royal. Others have pointed out the differences between the ships, so I won't go through that. I also got a little anxious about the Crown based on reviews and other information that I read before the trip. During the 2 weeks onboard, however, I never heard a peep about any illnesses and never saw staff doing anything unsanitary. Just like on Royal, I always saw crew cleaning around the ship. Just like on Royal, we had great food and waitstaff. It's still Princess and it still offers everything that you like about cruising Princess. As others have mentioned, Crown is due for a dry dock next year. She could use a bit of a facelift. (So could I.) Crown isn't as new and 'fresh' as Royal, but everything was clean and in good condition. This past weekend I submitted my survey on the Crown to Princess and the feedback that I gave them was consistent with feedback on the Royal -- I still don't like art auctions and am really tired of all of the Effy/wrinkle/fat/feet symposiums. Those things don't change, either!

I choose cruises based on itineraries and wouldn't hesitate to go back on Crown again if it's the itinerary that I want.

Hope this helps.
359 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
I will be on the Crown for the first time a week from this coming Sunday. I am so excited.

I am not as experienced as some travelers, but I've been enough places to know that stuff can happen anywhere. Really, to me, it's kind of miraculous when things go well all the time. And while bad service is no fun, it would have to be pretty spectacular to impact my cruise. Mostly, I'm in such a "happy place" I barely notice.

The only experience I ever had with a Noro type thing was on land, no ship in sight. On my only sailing on the Royal, to date, Noro was on the rampage. Wouldn't have noticed it at all except for the Captain reminding us at least twice a day to wash our hands.

And as far as the ship being compared to the Royal, I don't get it. The Royal had good points and bad points. Loved the interactive TV, hated the lack of Promenade. Don't know about the Crown yet, but to me the real beauty of any ship is that it takes me where I want to go in comfort and a certain style.

I know that no matter what we'll have fun and make some great memories. If things are less than perfect they'll just be added to a long list of travel stories that we can entertain ourselves with in our old age. LOL.

If the price and itinerary are right then I wouldn't worry so much about which ship. It's all so subjective anyway.
238 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
My family and I are taking the Thanksgiving cruise on the Crown. The iffy talk is makng me nervous but I am determined to have another great cruise on Princess.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The Big Red Boat October 1984 Honeymoon
Carnival Holiday Summer 1993
Carnival Tropicale Summer 1995
Princess 10 Year Anniversary December 1994
Holland America Rotterdam Mediterranean May/June 2005
Princess Anniversary Feb. 2006
RCCL Adventure of the Seas August 2009
Ruby Princess Christmas 2011
Coral Princess 30th Anniversary Panama Canal October 2014

Cedar Rapids, IA
705 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
we are cruising on the Crown in February 2018, also for the first time on this ship, and are excited! We always have a great time on cruises no matter what ship.

Any special fun places on the ship we need to be sure we check out?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
11/23/03 - Dawn Princess - S Caribbean
12/18/05 - RCCL Explorer - Caribbean
3/29/06 - Radisson Mariner - Caribbean
7/30/07 - Golden St Aegean 2 -Mediterranean
1/18/12 - Island Princess - Panama Canal
12/19/15 - RCCL Adventure - Xmas S Caribbean
REVIEW
6/3/17 - Star Princess - Northbound Alaska

Next Up - 2/2/18 - Crown Princess - E Caribbean
Then up - 12/20/18 - Island Princess - Panama Canal
Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,754 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by KBS1607
My family and I are taking the Thanksgiving cruise on the Crown. The iffy talk is makng me nervous but I am determined to have another great cruise on Princess.
Hopefully you won't unnecessarily worry about your cruise due to "iffy" posts.

I would have missed out on many cruises (including a cumulative 2 months on the Crown) if basing my decision on negative CC posts. It's a minuscule number of the total passengers who post on CC & it's more likely to come from a few unhappy passengers. I've read posts from a few passengers doing the same thing on the same cruise who said things were horrible. I'm a relatively seasoned cruiser so I take such posts with a large grain of seasoned salt to not concern me.
Atlanta
917 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
We are sailing on the Crown in December, despite the iffy comments and island conditions, and I'm sure that we will have a wonderful time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Seven Seas Navigator 2001, Serenade of the Seas 2004, Carnival Glory 2005,
Grand Princess 2012, Royal Princess 2013, Caribbean Princess 2014,
Celebrity Millennium 2015, Regal Princess 2016, Coral Princess 2016,

Buckinghamshire UK
26 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Hi. We sailed on the Crown for 2 weeks this summer on a western med itinerary. Our first time with Princess and we thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. We found the ship tidy and clean and hard working cabin staff looking after us. The ship was at capacity and being school holidays a mix of all ages but we never had issues over wait times in the MDR or even in the buffet. We were always happy to share and have 2 talkative teenage boys who joined in with our tables of 8 or 10. We did encounter a couple of moaners who thought we should listen to the list they were compiling...... really very petty. The husband even timed how long the lift took one night.....seriously!! Yep every ship has them lurking somewhere the doomers and gloomers DH says. I'd recommend Princess as a cruise line and we'd go back to the Crown anytime.
Chico, California
9,565 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
We've only sailed Crown once (so far) but had a fantastic cruise. Ship and crew were excellent. We will have no compunction about booking Crown again in the future.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,754 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by Malleykatt
Hi. We sailed on the Crown for 2 weeks this summer on a western med itinerary. Our first time with Princess and we thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. We found the ship tidy and clean and hard working cabin staff looking after us. The ship was at capacity and being school holidays a mix of all ages but we never had issues over wait times in the MDR or even in the buffet. We were always happy to share and have 2 talkative teenage boys who joined in with our tables of 8 or 10. We did encounter a couple of moaners who thought we should listen to the list they were compiling...... really very petty. The husband even timed how long the lift took one night.....seriously!! Yep every ship has them lurking somewhere the doomers and gloomers DH says. I'd recommend Princess as a cruise line and we'd go back to the Crown anytime.
Isn't that the truth!!!

And probably many of them post negative reviews on CC which creates unnecessary anxiety for some passengers who worry that they've made a big mistake.

Guess we've been lucky to not experience such whiners during our cruise but they do post on CC. No experience is perfect but each of us decides how we react to disappointing situations & those filled with overreactions are not useful for me.
San Diego
172 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Did the Crown on a Thanksgiving MR cruise back in 2015. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we did it all over again, same ship, same itinerary, just a few months later for the Presidents Day holiday week in Feb 2016. There were still a lot of crew onboard from November and we were recognized by a number of them. Not sure if that is a good, or a bad thing here!
Northern Virginia
408 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by KBS1607
my DH and I are on this cruise too - I personally, cannot wait. Hope to see you at the meet and mingle!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Scott & Kimberly

Sovereign of the Seas - Bahamas 11/01 (sailed into hurricane Michelle - what fun!!)
Nordic Empress - Western Caribbean 12/03
Sapphire Princess - Alaska 8/04
Explorer of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean 3/06
Empress of the Seas - Southern "Exotic" Caribbean 12/07
Jewel of the Seas - Panama Canal 12/29/08
Celebrity Millenium - Southern Caribbean - 12/18/09
Independence of the Seas - Mediterranean - 12/21/10
Emerald Princess - Trans-Atlantic 9/11/11
River Duchess - Grand Christmas and New Years cruise 12/22/13
Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean/High Seas Rally 11/2/14
Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean 11/18/2017
Harmony of the Seas - Western Caribbean 11/18/2018
Celebrity Eclipse - Antarctica 1/20/2019
Maryland
69 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by Astro Flyer
Isn't that the truth!!!

And probably many of them post negative reviews on CC which creates unnecessary anxiety for some passengers who worry that they've made a big mistake.

Guess we've been lucky to not experience such whiners during our cruise but they do post on CC. No experience is perfect but each of us decides how we react to disappointing situations & those filled with overreactions are not useful for me.

Hi: when you sailed on the Crown this summer was the Salty Dog Pub open and was it open for lunch? We're sailing in January and would like to do a lunch reservation there. Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

NY
363 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
I've been on Crown twice, and I've been on Royal twice. While if given a choice, I would pick Royal (I like bigger/newer ships), I wouldn't hesitate to sail on Crown again. In fact, we are booked on December 1st to ABC islands.
West Columbia, SC
327 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
I have to laugh at some of the comments. Rusty ship, worn carpets, ship needs TCL.

We have only been on three cruises. 2005 on the Diamond Princess after she was in service for 1 year. 2008 and 2016 on the Caribbean Princess.

All three times we saw rust, worn carpet and things needing repair. All three cruises, the crew were painting, cleaning, replacing carpet and even changed the tile in our bathroom during a port day in San Juan.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Relax, enjoy and laugh at the drama Queens and their surf husbands. As we say in the South..."Bless Your Heart". If someone says that to you, you have been insulted.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Caribbean Princess June 2008
Diamond Princess Alaska July 2005

USA
6,957 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
We have been on the Crown once and Royal twice with cruises on both coming up in next 6 months.

Had great experiences on both and Baltic cruise on Crown this past July was probably the best cruise w have been on.

Overall will say we prefer the Royal as a ship but both gave us excellent experiences
New York
8,404 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
We were on Crown Princess from Oct. 4-15. On Did not experience ANY of the problems mentioned in recent CC threads. Keep Calm and Carry On (your luggage!)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me: [email protected]
Blogs: Jazzbeaux Blogs

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Booked:
Azamara Quest Costa Rica 1-2018
AMA Discover Africa 5-2018
Viking Sun British Isles Explorer 8-2018
Celebrity Edge Caribbean B2B / Celebrity Equinox Caribbean B2B 1-2019 [will choose one!]

Completed:
Crown Princess Classic Canada & New England 10-2017
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-2016; Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-2016; Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-2016; AmaDagio Provence 9-2015; Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-2015; Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-2015; Fresco Tours A Kinder Camino walking tour 9-2014; Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-2014; Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-2014; AmaCello Rhine 8-2013; Coral Princess Alaska 6-2013; Ireland Fly-Drive 9-2012; Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-1974
Tennessee
308 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by Host Jazzbeau
We were on Crown Princess from Oct. 4-15. On Did not experience ANY of the problems mentioned in recent CC threads. Keep Calm and Carry On (your luggage!)

Thanks!

We will be on her in 2 weeks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature