Cunard upgrades?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:42 AM.
3 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Hello all! Booked a round-trip TA with Cunard for the 2nd year in a row which is still more than 2 months out. Although we booked the room we wanted (same cabin as last year) we received a mailing with our luggage tags with cabin number. Just wondering if there remains a possibility of an upgrade since we are still a long time out or do the luggage tags assume the dream is over? Has anyone ever got upgraded after this point? (And yes, our booking has the option of accepting an upgrade.)
North West England
72 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Originally posted by fourmile.ranch
Hello all! Booked a round-trip TA with Cunard for the 2nd year in a row which is still more than 2 months out. Although we booked the room we wanted (same cabin as last year) we received a mailing with our luggage tags with cabin number. Just wondering if there remains a possibility of an upgrade since we are still a long time out or do the luggage tags assume the dream is over? Has anyone ever got upgraded after this point? (And yes, our booking has the option of accepting an upgrade.)
There remains a possibility right up until check-in, albeit the nearer you get the less likely. The fact that luggage labels have been produced will not in itself prevent an upgrade. If you are upgraded new luggage labels will be available in the Voyage Personaliser for you to print off. Good luck!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
North West Newbie

QM2 - Apr 2017 (M714)
QV - Oct 2016 (V617)
QM2 - Nov 2015 (M527N)
QM2 - July 2015 (M511E)
QM2 - Feb 2015 (M503)
QM2 - Oct 2014 (M425A)
QM2 - July 2014 (M411C)
QE - June 2014 (Q408)
QE - Nov 2013 (Q328)
QM2 - Oct 2013 (M326A)
QE - Nov 2012 (Q224)
QM2 - June 2012 (M210)
QM2 - Oct 2011 (M129)
Iowa
1,325 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
The one and only time we have been upgraded (on an eastbound crossing), the upgrade appeared on voyage personaliser 5 days before departure, well after we had received the pre-voyage documentation with the printed luggage tags for the cabin we had originally booked. So yes, it can and does happen.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)

Chicago, IL, USA
2,016 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Hi,

I have received nice upgrades on my two most recent cruises on the QM2. In September 2016, I booked an inside stateroom (as a solo) and was upgraded to one of the new outside single staterooms. I found out about the upgrade approximately two weeks prior to the cruise. In April 2017, I was again upgraded from an inside stateroom to one of the new outside single staterooms. I did not learn about this upgrade until I checked in at the pier. Thus, it is possible (but probably not likely) to receive an upgrade at the pier. Don't give up hope.

Chuck
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
554 days - 87 cruises - 64 ships

Royal Caribbean (124 days, 22 cruises); Princess (120 days, 18 cruises); Cunard (105 days, 17 cruises); Norwegian (53 days, 8 cruises); Celebrity (51 days, 8 cruises); Crystal (43 days, 5 cruises); Holland America (38 days, 5 cruises); Other (20 days, 4 cruises)

Future cruises: Crown Princess, Feb. 23, 2018 (8-day Southern Caribbean); Emerald Princess, May 9, 2018 (4-day Pacific Coastal); Queen Victoria, Sep. 22, 2018 (7-day Mediterranean); Royal Princess, May 4, 2019 (7-day Wine Country Coastal)

Areas cruised to: Alaska; Asia (Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand); Australia; Bahamas; Bermuda; Canada/New England; Caribbean; Greek Islands; Hawaii; Mediterranean; Mexican Riviera; Norway; Pacific Coastal; Panama Canal; Scandinavia/Russia; Spain/Portugal; Tahiti; Transatlantic Crossings
Riding the Ocean Waves
1,336 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Upgrades will sometimes happen at checkin. When this happens it is sometimes quicker to locate your luggage from the previous attached luggage label stateroom, rather then wait for the luggage to be delivered to the upgraded Stateroom.
Magnolia, Texas
1,389 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
I found it interesting that you got a mailing with your luggage tags, as I haven't seen that in more than five years. We are forced to print the tags out, fold and staple them and they look dreadful. I liked the old way better. Out of curiosity, what do the luggage tags you received in the mail look like?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Florida
13 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
We always get our tags in the mail in the back of our Cruise booklet with all of the excursions listed. They are perforated and made of a heavy plastic material. They have come to us this way the last 4 sailings we have taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Harlow Essex 15 Miles from London
119 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
We had an upgrade on T/A . Checked in at Brooklyn to find that we had been upgraded from sheltered balcony to deck 10 balcony. Didn't realise until looked at luggage labels
UK
1,957 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
We got an upgrade on a TA. Checked in at Southampton and found we were moved from an inside cabin to an obstructed view balcony. First balcony we've ever had and despite the lifeboat we could still see the sea .

Holding a gty inside cabin for our next cruise and have fingers, toes and eyes crossed that we might get an upgrade as we are now past the final payment date.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
2017Eastbound T/A - Cunard. 2016 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Bahamas & Florida - NCL: 2015 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2014 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Norway/Iceland - P&O: 2013 Canary Islands - NCL: 2011 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2011 Southern T/A - Celebrity: 2011 Australasia - Princess: 2009 Australia/New Zealand - Royal Caribbean: 2005 Norway - Louis Line: 2004 Alaska - Celebrity: 2000 Eastern Caribbean - Royal Caribbean
S.W. England
700 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by babs135

Holding a gty inside cabin for our next cruise and have fingers, toes and eyes crossed that we might get an upgrade as we are now past the final payment date.
When you get your assignment, you must let us know, otherwise we will be left in suspense!!!

Of all the times we have been with Cunard, either booking in the Grills or a balcony cabin we have never once had an upgrade. Last Thursday our documents arrived by post for the November trip to the Caribbean on the QV and we still have the cabin we chose. At least we know it is a nice one, and happy to be in for 25 days.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QM2 April 2004 Maiden Westbound Transatlantic; QM2 Transatlantic 2005, 2006, 2009; QM2 Cruises 2006/7/8/10/11/12/14; QM2 Oct 2008 Eastbound Transatlantic - tandem voyage with QE2; QV Cruises 2008/2009/10/11/13/14/16; QV WC Segments 2011/16;QE 2012/13 x2/14; Celebrity Equinox 2009; Celebrity Eclipse 2010/12/13; P&O Azura 2013
QV November 17 Caribbean Highlights.
QV Jan 18 S'ton >FLL

Sydney, Australia
1,503 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Yes, I went from a Q6 to a Q5 and after printing my tags I got upgraded further to a Q1. Needless to say, I didn't begrudge reprinting my tags.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming cruises:

Past cruises:

Golden Princess Australia Coastal Apr 17; Diamond Princess SE Asia Dec 16 / Jan 17; QM2 Tranatlantic WC segment Jan 16; Queen Elizabeth back to back Canaries Dec 15; Diamond Princess Coastal Dec 14; Dawn Princess Australian Coastal Oct 14; Queen Elizabeth Venice to Athens Jun to Jul 14; QM2 Hamburg to Southampton Jun 14; Diamond Princess Australia/New Zealand Dec 13; QM2 Caribbean/Transatlantic Dec 12 to Jan 13; Diamond Princess Australia/New Zealand Jan 06
Magnolia, Texas
1,389 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by BellaAnna
We always get our tags in the mail in the back of our Cruise booklet with all of the excursions listed. They are perforated and made of a heavy plastic material. They have come to us this way the last 4 sailings we have taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
The follow up question for posters is this? If you booked a guarantee, and have not gotten your cabin assignment did you get labels in your cruise booklet. After diligent and 5 minute speculation, I have tentatively concluded that since I book guarantees, they just don't know at the time the booklet is prepared where they are going to put me. If others who book guarantees got booklets with out luggage tags, that may be the answer.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

3 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by Bigmike911
I found it interesting that you got a mailing with your luggage tags, as I haven't seen that in more than five years. We are forced to print the tags out, fold and staple them and they look dreadful. I liked the old way better. Out of curiosity, what do the luggage tags you received in the mail look like?
I did not receive them last year but other friends did. Called Cunard and found out my account was set up not to receive mailings. Might want to check the status of that option on your next booking.
Staffordshire
1,983 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by Bigmike911
We got our luggage tags a few weeks ago for our future cruise on QE at the end of October. They are at the back of the excursion booklet sent out to I assume those that book Select fare.
Pennsylvania
5,747 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
We booked a guarantee last year and our booklet didn't have any tags.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Hampshire, England
1,556 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
We were once upgraded on check-in on Queen Victoria at Civitavecchia from Princess Grill to Queens Grill.

The Butler sorted the luggage.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancing above the Waves.

Diving below them.

West Midlands
503 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Not necessarily an upgrade, but received an email for an upsell and took it the day before we board. Luckily I was at work when it popped into my inbox and was able to accept the offer immediately.

If people don't take the upsell I am sure there will be some free upgrades going on.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2019 QE Oct Norway & Northern Lights
2018 QM2 Mar Hong Kong to Singapore
2017 QV Oct Adriatic & Aegean gems
2017 QM2 Sep New England & Canada
2017 Windsurf Apr Glitz & Glam in the Riviera
2016 QE Nov Canaries
2016 QV Sep Athens, Greek Isles, Albania & Venice
2016 Eclipse Apr Le Havre
2016 QE Mar Tokyo to Hong Kong (sector of World Cruise)
2015 QV Aug Istanbul & Greek Isles
2015 QE Jul Ireland, Iceland & the Faroes
2015 QE Jun Guernsey
2015 Ventura Apr Belgium
2014 QM2 Dec Christmas markets in Belgium
2014 QE Apr Dubai to S'ton (final sector World Cruise)
2013 QM2 Dec Winter Getaway
2013 QV Aug St Petersburg & Baltic Explorer
2013 QE Jun Fjords & Waterfalls
2012 QV Oct Autumn Adventure
2012 QE Aug Mediterranean Memories
2012 QM2 Jun Summer Getaway (Jubilee sailing)
2012 QV May Spring Getaway
2011 QM2 Oct Taste of France
2011 QV Aug Pearls of the Black Sea
2010 QV Jul Norwegian Fjords

2009 QM2 Nov Transatlantic
2008 QM2 Sep Transatlantic
Riding the Ocean Waves
1,336 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by Solent Richard
We were once upgraded on check-in on Queen Victoria at Civitavecchia from Princess Grill to Queens Grill.

The Butler sorted the luggage.
I would jolly well hope so too !